Pre-season polls - DUH !!! | Syracusefan.com

Pre-season polls - DUH !!!

DonLightfoot

All Conference
A lot of members on here prefer us not to be ranked so we can sneak up on everybody. Others seem to prefer to be ranked to possibly send a message to the world. As we all know, these pre-season polls “probably” mean doodley-squat.

Now, having said that, here are my reasons for being pleased to be ranked before the season starts. Yes, they are selfish to me.

First, ranked teams seem to get the majority of media exposure, particularly on TV. This also holds true for the various “sports.com” websites. I want very much to see my team on these sports shows and pages. Being in Canada, and not having Syracuse TV stations available to me, I need the exposure on ESPN, CBS Sports Network, etc.

Second, If we happen to lose a game or two to a decent non conference opponent it is likely we would remain in the top 25. This would probably not be the same should we not be ranked pre-season.

I want to see and read about my team as much as possible. Those are my selfish reasons to be ranked in October. Other opinions are gladly appreciated.

Top 10 teams get 2 minute segments on SportsCenter. Unranked teams get a flash of the final score. I want to see our team on SportsCenter, get the primetime TV slots, get the big away crowds, generate some buzz around the country. Recruits pay attention and care if SU is ranked #4 or #24 when making decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom