Premier League 2023-24 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2023-24

As things stand right now, I'm looking to open a 20 point margin on you by the end of this week.
I think you’re confusing me with ROCcuse, haha you have almost 100 point lead on me in PFL, it would take an absolute miracle for me to come back this season (I’ve won the last 3 years too - my FPL team name is The Victory Train FC). But honestly, I care way more about Liverpool & Premier League than I do about FPL, I’m still processing through what happened against Spurs today for LFC. With Liverpool losing the entire league by a point or 2 multiple times to Man City in the last 5-6 years, to have the points taken away today on clearly biased/crazy VAR ref stuff is just ridiculous, the point matter significantly.

Chelsea v Man City ends 4-4 at Stamford Bridge. Action packed, eventful game. Chelsea look like they are finally turning into "that team" they want to be. Still some errors, but lots to like about that performance, and two or three new guys will be back after the International break.

Chelsea upcoming opponents are top teams, which is actually better for us; we play better against teams who play expansive football. We have had trouble breaking down tight defenses, and you're not going to see that from the top teams, who are looking to impose their style on you.

Very tight grouping at the top of the EPL table going into the break, with Man City leading at 28 points from 12 matches, followed by Liverpool & Arsenal at 27 each, and then Spurs at 26 and Unai Emery's Aston Villa quietly within striking distance of Top 4 with 25 points so far.

Week 13 of the Premier League returns this weekend.

(For Forza, I watched Roma vs. Lazio on DVR over the international break - pretty intense game!)

Saturday morning's opening game is Man City home against Liverpool. This is a huge game, and both teams are generally playing very well. City are different now; a little more direct in the final third, while Liverpool's attack is blending well, and their new midfield is starting to settle in. Ought to be a great game!

Newcastle hosts Chelsea at 10 AM. While Newcastle are very well supported and tough at home, they have about a dozen guys out with injury, and 3 only just returning. Chelsea, on the other hand, are starting to come together, and tend to play better against the better teams. I see Chelsea getting a result and maybe stealing all 3 points.

The Sunday highlight for me is Tottenham hosting Villa, who are playing very well under Unai Emery. This is Ange Postacoglu's first real string of bad form and they need to stop it at 2 games. This is going to be a very interesting game.

In La Liga, the only game that looks interesting to me is surprise 1st place Girona hosting Athletico Madrid.

In Serie A, Milan host Forza's Fiorintina in probably the game of the weekend.

Enjoy your weekend viewing!

Double match week, and the compressed calendar of the "Festive Season" is upon us.

Man City and Tottenham have stumbled recently, although Spurs roared back to life against Newcastle earlier today, a 4-1 home victory. That reversed a trend of 3 losses and a draw in Spurs' last 4 games, costing them first place. Spurs currently sit 5th, even with today's big win, with 30 points from 16 games.

Arsenal lost after 4 straight wins (2nd place, 36 pts), and has given up the league lead to Liverpool (37), who are getting better, but still "not quite there" defensively, IMO. LIverpool with 4 wins and a draw from their last 5.

Aston Villa has 4 wins and a draw in their last 5 games, and has moved up to third (35 points), with great results against other Top 4 aspirants. Man City won today, to break a run of a loss and 3 draws, but they still sit 4th with 33 points.

Manchester United in 6th with 27 points from 16 games, Newcastle and Brighton are behind United with 26 points each.

Newcastle's form has been worse, as they seem to be tiring from European football and injuries piling up. They have lost 3 of their last 5 in the Premier League, and have a ton of games coming up, including their last chance to stay alive in Europe vs. AC Milan.

Everton has won 4 out of 5, and despite a 10 point penalty (currently under appeal), they sit 4 points above the drop zone. The 3 news clubs this season, Sheffield United, Burnley and Luton Town all look like they will be going back down.

In their combined last 15 games by these 3 newly-promoted sides, they have managed a total of only 8 points among the three of them. They have the 3 worst defenses, and the 3 worst goal differentials, although Nottingham Forest isn't looking so secure on those metrics, either, but they are currently 5 points above the drop.

We have 4 more "Match Weeks" in the next 3 weeks, plus some teams have a champions league or europa league game to play for the final group stage games this week.

The top 8 will have 5 games within the next 20-22 calendar days. This is where upsets happen, and players get injured - just in time for the January Transfer Window to open.

Premier League title race just got awfully interesting, with Man City dropping points at home to Chelsea. City have to win their midweek game to stay within 1 point of Liverpool in 1st, with Arsenal 1 point behind them in 3rd.

The draw between Man City and Arsenal in Week 30 gave Liverpool the lead, and control of their own destiny. After everybody took care of their business last week, Liverpool is held to a draw at Manchester United. Arsenal and Liverpool are even at 71 points, but Arsenal have a huge lead in goal differential. City lurk 1 point behind.

Meanwhile, Spurs have quietly overhauled Aston Villa to claim 4th. This is going to be one of the best run-ins in Premier League history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom