Premier League | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

I just wish Liverpool hadn't lost Can, Allen, Sturridge, and Skertel during the international break.

Wait are Can, Allen and Skrtel injured? I thought Skrtel wasn't involved due to a knock he picked up prior to the break and by all accounts Can and Allen performed very well for German U21's and Wales respectively.

edit-F, just read the reports

Wait are Can, Allen and Skrtel injured? I thought Skrtel wasn't involved due to a knock he picked up prior to the break and by all accounts Can and Allen performed very well for German U21's and Wales respectively.

edit-F, just read the reports
Skerts did not play against Ukraine.

And we still lost, well they have Hamcic (Napoli) but he sucks.

What a great game. City @ Arsenal. City hits both posts in final 5, has a goal called back from offsides. City should be happy with 1 point, but it's hard to get past the chances they had.

Arsenal finally showed a pulse today. They should have won that game until the late equalizer from Man City. Man City used to be unbeatable at home. Losing to Stoke and now drawing Arsenal at home shows me Chelsea is even more of a favorite.

BTW, that own goal from Swansea City from John Terry was incredible. Swansea maybe the Everton of this year and challenge for a top 5 spot. If they beat Chelsea I will take them even more seriously.

Chelsea looks great but they are letting in more goals than I would like, even if one of them today was an OG.

I still think Man City has another gear and we're gonna see it next week. I'd be happy with a draw.

Chelsea looks great but they are letting in more goals than I would like, even if one of them today was an OG.

I still think Man City has another gear and we're gonna see it next week. I'd be happy with a draw.

I thought Chelsea sleep-walked through the first 30 minutes against Swansea. I also think Terry is going to show his age this season. He is the one, after all, who headed in the own-goal against Crystal Palace last season with about 3 games left to play that cost Chelsea first place. They definitely have to step it up in central defense, but the attack is on fire! 15 goals in 4 games are the kinds of numbers City and Liverpool put up last season.

Speaking of Liverpool, Rodgers changed too many faces from the looks of things on Saturday, and they played a very disjointed game. I guess Sterling is the key to that team, despite all the new signings.

I was pretty pleased with the Arsenal v. City result. Both teams lost points. Works for me. Both teams looked good in spots. Aguero continues his recovery, which is vital for City. I thought Dzecko would have more impact when he came on late, but not this time. Arsenal should probably sit Ozil for a game, just to motivate him. Last year at this time, he was running around just like Angel DiMaria did on Sunday, burning it up for the team. A year later, Ozil looks tentative out there and does not appear to be working particularly hard for his team.

United took on some swagger, speaking of DiMaria. Mata worked with him very well. He livened up the United attack for certain. Falcao doesn't quite seem "back" yet, but with him around, Van Persie and Rooney can't rest on their laurels. Still, the new and improved United strike me as much the same as Liverpool - lots of attacking talent, depth in midfield, but no real "enforcer" in the middle of the park, and a creaky, leaky defense. I thought Daley Blind was outstanding for such a young player. Great acquisition.

I agree that City haven't hit their stride yet, but I feel like they can be taken this weekend. Silva is not playing that well, and Toure was out. Aguero is not yet 100% and Jovetic is injured up front. I don't know if Diego Costa can keep scoring like he has, but you keep riding the in-form striker (or the hot goal keeper) as long as you can.

This weekend - your picks?

Saturday:

Aston Villa home to Arsenal - Brad Guzan has only let in 1 goal all season - I see a 1-1 draw

Liverpool at West Ham - West Ham plays some tough defense, but Liverpool should bounce back - 1-0

Southampton at Swansea - This will probably be the most entertaining game of the weekend. Southampton has been better defensively, but this is at Swansea, so I'm saying a 2-2 draw.

Sunday:

Leicester City hosts Manchester United - Leicester City has done well to stand mid-table at this early point of the season, but they don't offer a lot going forward. United will probably light them up. I see this one as 3-0 for the Red Devils.

Everton hosts Crystal Palace - Everton has been shipping a ton of goals - 10 in their first 3 games, but a clean sheet last time out for Tim Howard and crew. Lukaku finally got on the board this season, so Everton should be feeling good, especially at home. I see a 3-1 victory.

Spurs host West Bromwich Albion - West Brom has only 2 goals thru 4 games. Spurs should win 2-0.

Chelsea at Manchester City - City is going to get up for this game, but Chelsea are in form and clicking. I see Chelsea taking the points, 3-2 in a barn burner.

This weekend - your picks?

Saturday:

Aston Villa home to Arsenal - Brad Guzan has only let in 1 goal all season - I see a 1-1 draw

Liverpool at West Ham - West Ham plays some tough defense, but Liverpool should bounce back - 1-0

Southampton at Swansea - This will probably be the most entertaining game of the weekend. Southampton has been better defensively, but this is at Swansea, so I'm saying a 2-2 draw.

Sunday:

Leicester City hosts Manchester United - Leicester City has done well to stand mid-table at this early point of the season, but they don't offer a lot going forward. United will probably light them up. I see this one as 3-0 for the Red Devils.

Everton hosts Crystal Palace - Everton has been shipping a ton of goals - 10 in their first 3 games, but a clean sheet last time out for Tim Howard and crew. Lukaku finally got on the board this season, so Everton should be feeling good, especially at home. I see a 3-1 victory.

Spurs host West Bromwich Albion - West Brom has only 2 goals thru 4 games. Spurs should win 2-0.

Chelsea at Manchester City - City is going to get up for this game, but Chelsea are in form and clicking. I see Chelsea taking the points, 3-2 in a barn burner.

Villa has had a good start but they are Liverpool's bogey team, not Arsenal's. Arsenal wins 2-0

Liverpool has looked great with two strikers and terrible with one so far, but injuries forced them to play a whole new front line against a tough defensive team in Villa. They should have some things worked out by next week. I say 1-0 Pool.

The Southampton/Swansea game is a must see for me. I'll give Swansea the win because they are at home. I would have gone the other way if Southampton was home. 2-1.

Ive been impressed by Leicester City. They might get exposed, but I am going to stick with them. I say 0-0 draw. Man U thrashing a terrible QPR team does not mean that they are back yet.

Tough start for Everton but they are a good team who is bound to come good in the end. It started last week. I like them 2-0.

Not a huge believer in Tottenham, but they are at home against a bottom half side so I have to go with them. 2-1.

Then the big one. I think Chelsea is the better team, but Man City are great at home. Normally I'd go with City, but Chelsea are the better team in better form. I think they take a big step towards the title I predict they will win. 3-1.

Not a huge believer in Tottenham, but they are at home against a bottom half side so I have to go with them. 2-1.
Totally agree about Spurs. It just hasn't gelled. I have a feeling WBA shows up this weekend and gets a hard-earned draw.

Villa has had a good start but they are Liverpool's bogey team, not Arsenal's. Arsenal wins 2-0

Liverpool has looked great with two strikers and terrible with one so far, but injuries forced them to play a whole new front line against a tough defensive team in Villa. They should have some things worked out by next week. I say 1-0 Pool

Villa result isn't shocking but was frusterating none the the less. 1 shot on goal, 18 off goal and the wrong end of a 1-0 score line isnt shocking. Villa played us tough both games last season though and are playing high on confidence. Also getting into a bit of the rough/dirty play and becoming Stoke lite.

I'm not a fan of the lone striker either and overall wasn't impressed with our squad selection. Namely, taking Lallana of as you're bringing Lambert on? The biggest thing we're missing is continuity which can be expected with so many new players. In that combo, you have two players that are quite familiar and have played quite well in tandem yet we didn't play them as such. Seemed like a bit of a mistake IMHO.

Villa result isn't shocking but was frusterating none the the less. 1 shot on goal, 18 off goal and the wrong end of a 1-0 score line isnt shocking. Villa played us tough both games last season though and are playing high on confidence. Also getting into a bit of the rough/dirty play and becoming Stoke lite.

I'm not a fan of the lone striker either and overall wasn't impressed with our squad selection. Namely, taking Lallana of as you're bringing Lambert on? The biggest thing we're missing is continuity which can be expected with so many new players. In that combo, you have two players that are quite familiar and have played quite well in tandem yet we didn't play them as such. Seemed like a bit of a mistake IMHO.

I didn't like Markovic against that Villa side. He seems like a speedster who can hurt teams on the counter attack, but Villa never had fewer than ten back on defense all game. There was no place to counter attack. Markovic is not ideal for breaking down a physical and organized defense.

Its hard to blame Rodgers though, as he didn't have a lot of options. Half the team got hurt during the international break.

I still think a 4-3-3 can and will work for Liverpool. The problem against Villa was the front three were Markovic (making his first start for Liverpool) Balotelli (making his second start for Liverpool) and Lalanna (making his first start for Liverpool). There was no cohesion, but in time there will be.

ImperialOrange
I'll be taking in the West Ham v. Liverpool game on Saturday at one of the official bars of the Liverpool Supporter's Club of New York. Meeting up with an old high school friend that lives in the Hudson Valley, who's always been a hardcore Liverpool supporter. Atmosphere should be a treat as none of the bars in my Ithaca are open for even the noon games.

Cheers

ImperialOrange
I'll be taking in the West Ham v. Liverpool game on Saturday at one of the official bars of the Liverpool Supporter's Club of New York. Meeting up with an old high school friend that lives in the Hudson Valley, who's always been a hardcore Liverpool supporter. Atmosphere should be a treat as none of the bars in my Ithaca are open for even the noon games.

Cheers

Liverpool and Syracuse both on at 1230 Saturday...

images

images

I'm finding it so hard to watch American football, especially when it's on the Internet. I watched the SU game last week, and skipping the commercials online when you have to do it with a mouse is such a pain in the neck. Arggh.

I'm watching Liverpool, then turning on the last hour of the Syracuse game.

Last week I had Liverpool on TV, and Cuse on the ipad but Cuse on TV wasnt an option. This week will likely be Cuse TV, Pool ipad but I'm quite conflicted.

I'm finding it so hard to watch American football, especially when it's on the Internet. I watched the SU game last week, and skipping the commercials online when you have to do it with a mouse is such a pain in the neck. Arggh.

Likewise... except when it's Syracuse

images
Boy, that was a double dose of misery. I've decided the Syracuse loss was comparatively worse. Liverpool has a built-in excuse because of the injuries. Plus, they play more games and have time to fix things. So, um, if that makes you feel better...

Boy, that was a double dose of misery. I've decided the Syracuse loss was comparatively worse. Liverpool has a built-in excuse because of the injuries. Plus, they play more games and have time to fix things. So, um, if that makes you feel better...

If I even liked sports I might be mad but after today I'm not even sure I do anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom