Premier League | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

Has Mario Balotelli been the worst player in the EPL so far this year?

I read an article that said he's taken the most shots (20) of any EPL player who is yet to score a goal. It also mentioned that he missed 3 clear cut chances, which I think is generous, I would have said 5. Those 5 goals are the difference between Liverpool contending and Liverpool being mid-table. Balotelli has really hurt them thus far.

It's a bit unfair to single him out, our entire team is misfiring. Balotelli simply shoots more being a solo figure up front.

We've been agonizingly close to scoring a lot of goals only to up the final touch. One I recall, which probably goes down as a Balotelli missed chance, was a corner in where he fails to get a touch on. Lovren was outwide, and would've had the ball land to him unmarked but cut inside and jumped for the same ball Balo was going for.

Simply put we look like a group that hasn't played much together, which is exactly what we are. With so many new faces coming in we needed for Sturridge to be healthy and of course that didnt happen. Sterling and Sturridge pair really well together, and as much as I'm a fan of Raheem, he doesn't look near the same player without Sturro out there as well.

Silver lining is Sturridge (hopefully) will back soon and pairing with Sterling once again. The extra space that will create for Balotelli should help because, aside from getting beat up by every team we play he's also been givin no space to work. Aside from that we're 3 points out of fourth place and aside from Chelsea no one else has looked infallible this year. The table is a mess and it appears this season will be wiiiiide open.

The Blues will have this sewn up by mid-April.

Only if there are no injuries to Costa. I would like to see Mourinho work Remy into the rotation a bit and save Costa's hammy.

Only if there are no injuries to Costa. I would like to see Mourinho work Remy into the rotation a bit and save Costa's hammy.
I don't think this is sewn up by any means. Arsenal's midfield created chances all day but they were awful in the final third. I really think Wenger has taken it as far as it can go up Highbury-way. I'd love to see what a more creative mind could do with that team...

Chelsea also haven't proven that they can dispatch the bottom-feeder teams, which would overcome their fatal flaw last season. I expect Mourinho's guys to show up against Arsenal. Let's see how they do against Crystal Palace on the road this Saturday. That will tell me just as much.

Anybody still think Balotelli hasn't been the worst player in the EPL this year? He is now on 30 shots without a goal (most in the league) and I'm not sure anybody has had an easier chance all year than the open goal he missed today.

Anybody still think Balotelli hasn't been the worst player in the EPL this year? He Now on 30 shots without a goal (most in the league) and I'm not sure anybody has had an easier chance all year than the open goal he missed today.

He's certainly been the worst finisher. Of those 30 shots he probably shouldve passed 15 of them to team mates with better looks. Thats been more frusterating to me than the misses though that one today was comical.

Should be a surprise to no one but its all in his head right now trying too hard to break his duck in the PL. Hopefully once he does that he'll look for the pass quite a bit more. He's getting better posionally but still looks a bit like a squarepeg in a round hole. He's a black hole when the ball gets to him and defenses are playing him as such. On the Coutinho goal he was wide open on the right and Sterling ignored him and went left so his team mates are aware as well.

That being said, defenders are still a bit nervy dealing with him and he should improve if the coach and team can help him keep his head. He was in position to score both of the own goals v qpr if the defenders didn't turn them in. The first he threw a fit then turned and wouldve been there back post, the second he couldve walked into the net if caulker didn't get a touch on. He's missed a few bunnies in close and forced a few fine saves thus far as well so he could just as easily scored half a dozen.

At this point I'm more watching to see him acclimate to our system and get into better positions. Seems he's starting to though at a slower pace than I'd like. I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the finishes will eventually come. Would be interesting to see him hitting his stride once Sturridge is back. At the very least, he'll need to cut down on the wild shots from outside of the box and learn to be quick to pick a pass or he'll find himself on the bench and possibly out the door by next summer when Origi comes in.

It is a bit said to find myself thinking "we should really give Borini a proper run out" at this point.

He's certainly been the worst finisher. Of those 30 shots he probably shouldve passed 15 of them to team mates with better looks. Thats been more frusterating to me than the misses though that one today was comical.

Should be a surprise to no one but its all in his head right now trying too hard to break his duck in the PL. Hopefully once he does that he'll look for the pass quite a bit more. He's getting better posionally but still looks a bit like a squarepeg in a round hole. He's a black hole when the ball gets to him and defenses are playing him as such. On the Coutinho goal he was wide open on the right and Sterling ignored him and went left so his team mates are aware as well.

That being said, defenders are still a bit nervy dealing with him and he should improve if the coach and team can help him keep his head. He was in position to score both of the own goals v qpr if the defenders didn't turn them in. The first he threw a fit then turned and wouldve been there back post, the second he couldve walked into the net if caulker didn't get a touch on. He's missed a few bunnies in close and forced a few fine saves thus far as well so he could just as easily scored half a dozen.

At this point I'm more watching to see him acclimate to our system and get into better positions. Seems he's starting to though at a slower pace than I'd like. I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the finishes will eventually come. Would be interesting to see him hitting his stride once Sturridge is back. At the very least, he'll need to cut down on the wild shots from outside of the box and learn to be quick to pick a pass or he'll find himself on the bench and possibly out the door by next summer when Origi comes in.

It is a bit said to find myself thinking "we should really give Borini a proper run out" at this point.

The thing with Balotelli is, he is not a pacy guy, he is not going to be all over the place and in the right spots, he is not a guy who passes well or defends well. He is suppose to be a finisher. Someone who can both kick and head the ball into the goal. Thus far he has had 5 or 6 chances that I would expect any professional soccer player to put away (he has missed them all). If he could have added a few extra goals which the normal player would not have gotten (essentially do the thing we bought him for) he would have 7 or 8 goals this season, Liverpool as a team would have scored 7 or 8 more goals this season, and what has been a lackluster start to the season would have been an extremely successful start to the season.

Liverpool's defense has been disappointing (Gerrard, Lovren, and Mingolet especially) but I really don't think they'd be missing Suarez at all if they had a striker who was able to put the ball in the back of the net. They have created plenty of great chances, where you don't need to be one of the worlds top five players to convert. The EPL is deep, but not particularly strong at the top. Liverpool can't win the league, but switching Balotelli with a striker of even average quality should put them in the top four.

The thing with Balotelli is, he is not a pacy guy, he is not going to be all over the place and in the right spots, he is not a guy who passes well or defends well. He is suppose to be a finisher. Someone who can both kick and head the ball into the goal. Thus far he has had 5 or 6 chances that I would expect any professional soccer player to put away (he has missed them all). If he could have added a few extra goals which the normal player would not have gotten (essentially do the thing we bought him for) he would have 7 or 8 goals this season, Liverpool as a team would have scored 7 or 8 more goals this season, and what has been a lackluster start to the season would have been an extremely successful start to the season.

Liverpool's defense has been disappointing (Gerrard, Lovren, and Mingolet especially) but I really don't think they'd be missing Suarez at all if they had a striker who was able to put the ball in the back of the net. They have created plenty of great chances, where you don't need to be one of the worlds top five players to convert. The EPL is deep, but not particularly strong at the top. Liverpool can't win the league, but switching Balotelli with a striker of even average quality should put them in the top four.

It takes time for strikers. I think you guys are being just a little harsh. I'd be more concerned about the gaffer saying he wants to manage in Spain some day. Liverpool is a destination job, not a stepping stone. I still think a top 4 finish is in the cards. Arsenal feels like odd man out at this point. They have so many issue.

By the way, did you guys see that Sunderland refunded their fans who attended the 8-0 defeat last weekend? There's a concept that would be really interesting in the States, i.e. if we stink, you get your money back.

Louis van Gaal and Man United have 2 huge tests coming back to back - home to Chelsea this weekend and then away to Man City the following Sunday. I don't see them beating either, but a draw with City at the Etihad is not out of the question. City have looked a bit shaky, Toure is not really playing well, despite that lovely goal last week that got them the result. Chelsea hopefully will have Costa by the weekend. If he's not back, United might be able to manage a pair of draws.

The way the table is separating, I think within the next 2 or 3 weeks, this might be reduced to a two horse race. Everybody but City is 10, 11, 12 points off Chelsea's pace after only 8 games. Should be great viewing.

Chelsea has the title sown up unless Costa gets injured and is a out a significant time. Man City look solid to be a top 4 club the rest of the EPL is wide open.

Chelsea has the title sown up unless Costa gets injured and is a out a significant time. Man City look solid to be a top 4 club the rest of the EPL is wide open.

This is pretty much the way I see it as well.

Chelsea is now down to Drogs as their lone striker - 36 years old with very little ability to run - he's basically like a center at the foul line in a high post basketball offense - throw it into the post, and he distributes out to shooters. They need to get him closer to the goal and let him chase headers. He's got a much better chance of scoring that way than he does from open play building up from midfield.

I sure hope Remy isn't hurt too bad. With Schurrle out too (who can be an emergency 9), that sucks. I think if Mourinho has the balls to hold out Costa for Man United to let him finish healing up that hammy, and we can still win away, that would be tremendous.

Very good tactical preview of Chelsea at Man United on Sunday. Key takeaway for me is that (a) United lack defensive options in midfield, and (b) with the return of Michael Carrick, they are likely to sacrifice Juan Mata from the lineup, in order to provide more sturdy defense against the Chelsea counterattack. But just the sheer number of United lineup options that are examined in the article demonstrate (to me, anyway) that they are still trying to figure out how they want to play.

http://mufclatest.com/tactical-preview-manchester-united-v-chelsea-van-gaal-vs-mourinho/?

Very good tactical preview of Chelsea at Man United on Sunday. Key takeaway for me is that (a) United lack defensive options in midfield, and (b) with the return of Michael Carrick, they are likely to sacrifice Juan Mata from the lineup, in order to provide more sturdy defense against the Chelsea counterattack. But just the sheer number of United lineup options that are examined in the article demonstrate (to me, anyway) that they are still trying to figure out how they want to play.

http://mufclatest.com/tactical-preview-manchester-united-v-chelsea-van-gaal-vs-mourinho/?

I think CFC have the best record of any away team at Old Trafford. They always seem to show up when they play there... Now I probably jinxed them.

I think CFC have the best record of any away team at Old Trafford. They always seem to show up when they play there... Now I probably jinxed them.

UNLIKE

Certainly not us, we've only won 2 their since 2000

Overall history of league fixtures at Old Trafford
Matches played: 81
Manchester United wins: 40
Draws: 25
Liverpool: 16

Down goes Man City. What an upset.

This is big opportuinty for Liverpool, Arsenal and ManU now. Liverpool and Arsenal slot in right behind City with a win. Huge for Chelsea too. Getting a point at Old Trafford moves the ball forward. Winning and going 8 up on City going into November puts a stranglehold on the whole thing. It's all to play for, as they say.

Last edited:
Certainly not us, we've only won 2 their since 2000

Overall history of league fixtures at Old Trafford
Matches played: 81
Manchester United wins: 40
Draws: 25
Liverpool: 16

Chelsea beat the '94 Fergie team and, if memory serves me correctly, beat the '99 Fergie Treble team 2x. Then again, I've also been at the Bridge when Man U had the league wrapped up and watched their fans celebrate the entire time. Sing when you're winning.

Anybody still think Balotelli hasn't been the worst player in the EPL this year? He is now on 30 shots without a goal (most in the league) and I'm not sure anybody has had an easier chance all year than the open goal he missed today.

Ok, I'm on the the Anti-Ballotelli Bandwagon now. He missed a tap in from six feet on a weekend where there is an opportunity for movement at the top of the table. His behaviour is antithetical to the Liverpool team ethos too.

Ok, I'm on the the Anti-Ballotelli Bandwagon now. He missed a tap in from six feet on a weekend where there is an opportunity for movement at the top of the table. His behaviour is antithetical to the Liverpool team ethos too.

Not a Liverpool supporter, but he is too much of a talent. Brendan Rodgers will find a way to get him back into form. Cannot imagine such a skill set going to waste. Super Mario will ultimately find his game, much to my chagrin.

Not a Liverpool supporter, but he is too much of a talent. Brendan Rodgers will find a way to get him back into form. Cannot imagine such a skill set going to waste. Super Mario will ultimately find his game, much to my chagrin.

The answer lies in, and always has lied in, getting Danny Sturridge back. Balotelli plays better with Lambert as a second striker, imagine that with Sturridge up there. Quite frankly, the 4-2-1-2-1 formation needs to go in favor of a 4-1-2-1-2 or a standard 4-4-2. We don't have the pieces to run what our coach prefers and at the same time we have too much talent to be wasting on the bench. As much as it pains me to say, Gerrard shouldn't be starting with the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, or Henderson on the bench. Our midfield, IMHO, should consist of the exact 4 I just mentioned in whatever way needed to get them on the field. I'd run a midfield diamond with Hendo at the base in place of Gerrard, Lallana and Sterling on the wings and Coutinho centrally running at defenses with 2 guys up front to feed.

edit- go back to the Tottenham game to see the only time Balo and Sturro played together. Nice result for us

Last edited:
I am not a hater of Man United nor fan, but this crap at Old Trafford is a joke. The ref could have called a foul on Ivanovic in the 93rd minute but that was not a yellow card foul and no way a 2nd yellow card. The ref gave United an advantage there and I think Ivanovic would have marked Fellani on the free kick. Great play by the United and RVP had a tremendous strike.

Horrible yellow card but I guess it keeps the EPL race going for another week as a Chelsea win would have ended the race. Drogba playing the whole game was amazing.

I am not a hater of Man United nor fan, but this crap at Old Trafford is a joke. The ref could have called a foul on Ivanovic in the 93rd minute but that was not a yellow card foul and no way a 2nd yellow card. The ref gave United an advantage there and I think Ivanovic would have marked Fellani on the free kick. Great play by the United and RVP had a tremendous strike.

Horrible yellow card but I guess it keeps the EPL race going for another week as a Chelsea win would have ended the race. Drogba playing the whole game was amazing.

I think United played well enough to earn a point but Phil Dowd, in standard fashion, was the hero of the day for them.

Oh, man, that was pathetic. A foul, maybe. A yellow card? Not in a million years. What a load of crap. Chelsea should have a perfect record through 9 games - damn you, Frank Lampard. Still a cushion, but not what I was hoping for, and certainly not what we deserved. Drogba can't run much anymore, but his hold-up play is still very good. It's like watching an old-time high post center in hoops taking the pass and then looking for cutters to pass the ball to. He is still great in the air, as I was saying previously, and he proved it again. Great game for Drogs. Should have been the winner. Next week, United at City. Pulling for the United upset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom