Premier League | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

Bortukal said:
There is some darn good goalkeeping going on in this Chelsea/Leicester match.

That was impressive but Chelsea proved to be too much.

I hate waiting for Spurs to play until Sunday, but fun match to watch. Have to miss Everton and Gunners though unfortunately.

There is some darn good goalkeeping going on in this Chelsea/Leicester match.

Ive been impressed with Leicester City so far. They've held their own against both Everton and Chelsea and look like a team that will be sticking around the Premier League.

I really hope Chelsea don't win the league this year, but I think the will. Not many weaknesses on that team.

Fulham lost 5-1 today in the Championship and has lost four on the trot to start the year. That club has mystified me for years. They have a wealthy owner and the ingredients. They have a small stadium but it's charming and getting guys to play in west London should not be that difficult.

Last edited:
Have to miss Arsenal-Everton too. At a family gathering in the sticks where Directv has nbcsports but not nbc. Doh.

Everton are up 2 -nil with about 15 minutes left. Arsenal's defense looks downright porous, if anything Everton should be up by more. Mertesaker looks washed up.

After drawing with Leiceter City last week, Everton look like they are for real . . . more evidence that Leicester City are better than anticipated.

Ive been impressed with Leicester City so far. They've held their own against both Everton and Chelsea and look like a team that will be sticking around the Premier League.

I really hope Chelsea don't win the league this year, but I think the will. Not many weaknesses on that team.

An injury to Costa and their title hopes are done. They have no adequate backup if he goes down.

2-2 now. Total Everton collapse at the end. They just might manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Amid the Robbie Martinez love-in, it should be noted that Wigan under his tenure dropped a lot of games where they led early/folded late -- exactly like what happened today. I followed Wigan closely for years (has anyone ever written that sentence. That may be a first. Anyway...). I don't know how many times Robbie's Wigan teams started fast only to give away the draw or shock defeat at the twilight. Hope it's not something about his game mgmt but that draw today was textbook Wigan 2011. Trend?

Some good games so far.

Chelsea looks really good so far, I have only watched one game of theres but the balance in attack and working the wings have been very well done.

Swansea got another WIN TODAY!

Tough to get a read on Chelsea yet because theyve played two promoted sides. They look good but they haven't looked that interested yet for large stretches. After Burnley scored week 1 and after half time yesterday they looked the part though.

An injury to Costa and their title hopes are done. They have no adequate backup if he goes down.
The wondows not over yet. In all the fuss over us signing a former city head case I wondered why no one has mentioned Tevez. He had a good year for Juve last season and would be good to have as back up for sure.

Man U gave away 2 points at the Stadium of Light(I like that name). I am not sure if they will finish top 4 like I thought they would, but Di Maria will definitely help Man U.

Tottenham has looked good thru 2 matches top of the table.

Man U gave away 2 points at the Stadium of Light(I like that name). I am not sure if they will finish top 4 like I thought they would, but Di Maria will definitely help Man U.

Man U didnt give anything away. If anything they were lucky to get a point.

Spurs v Liverpool next week will give an idea where they are at. Like Chelsea, Spurs haven't played anyone yet.

Van Gaal needs to be given time to implement his system. Problem is, ManU isn't in a position to give anyone time since they need to qualify for CL. The goal this year is top 4, nothing more. I haven't seen anything from Arsenal yet that says ManU can't catch them. Arsenal got totally let off the hook yesterday. That said, I think Chelsea really pulled a fast one on the Mata deal.

Last edited:

United's problems are mainly in defense and defensive midfield. I think they have enough skill players and will score goals when the side is fully fit. The problem is their play out of the back (which there just isn't right now) and the inability of any of their midfielders to play box-to-box and transition from defense to offense.

Carrick and Fletcher are the 2 primary options right now and just aren't getting it done. Rooney and Mata have to come halfway into the back end to try to initiate play, meaning they aren't further upfield to create a threat on goal.

They need a central defender to take charge of all these young and young-ish guys and instill some order. They need someone like Arturo Vidal much more than they need Angel DiMaria. DiMaria isn't going to want to do the amount of defending that Van Gaal will want from him on the wing, and more likely will press Mata for time in the number 10 role, meaning that this wasn't the most efficient purchase, if it does finally go through.

Tough to get a read on Chelsea yet because theyve played two promoted sides. They look good but they haven't looked that interested yet for large stretches. After Burnley scored week 1 and after half time yesterday they looked the part though.

Huge game for Everton next week home to Chelsea. I think Mourinho is unlikely to get caught again like they did last year. Everton with only 2 points after 3 matches would not be the kind of start Martinez would have been hoping for. Hate to call the 3rd game of the season a "must-get-a-result" game, but if they truly want to challenge for top 4, they do need something from this next one. Spurs are off to a good start under Ponchittino, even if United are not.

Van Gaal needs to be given time to implement his system. Problem is, ManU isn't in a position to give anyone time since they need to qualify for CL. The goal this year is top 4, nothing more. I haven't seen anything from Arsenal yet that says ManU can't catch them. Arsenal got totally left off the hook yesterday. That said, I think Chelsea really pulled a fast one on the Mata deal.

I think what's hurting Van Gaal a bit right now is that they played so well in the US that the Glazers and Woodward were lulled into thinking they didn't need to do much, now that they had a quality coach. But they have failed to do their most important business - shoring up the back, where they let 4 players go and still haven't replaced them.

Man U didnt give anything away. If anything they were lucky to get a point.

Spurs v Liverpool next week will give an idea where they are at. Like Chelsea, Spurs haven't played anyone yet.

Spurs have talent and athleticism in midfield. I don't know if Adebayor and Kone are enough of an attack partnership for a top 4 finish, but both are what I would call good #2's - or #1's on a mid-table squad. I think it's to be expected that some of last year's purchases would eventually come good. Now, if Soldado could return to his form in Spain, then they might really challenge for top 4.

Spurs have talent and athleticsm in midfield. I don't know if Adebayor and Kone are enough of an attack partnership for a top 4 finish, but both are what I would call good #2's - or #1's on a mid-table squad. I think it's to be expected that some of last year's purchases would eventually come good. Now, if Soldado could return to his form in Spain, then they might really challenge for top 4.

We will find out next week when spurs play someone with talent and athletism In the midfield. QPR and West Ham have plodding, workman type players that won't wow you with any speed or trickery.

Couldn't agree more with your point about Man U with needing Vidal but potentially getting DiMaria instead. DiMaria is a nice player and the Rooney/RVP duo are potentially class but they need a rock in the midfield to get them the ball which he is not. They could deal with signing Vidal and Khedira to be honest but if their net spend on DiMaria is what has been reported they might not get either much less both. As it stands their current midfield are similar in stature to my sons U15 team.

We will find out next week when spurs play someone with talent and athletism In the midfield. QPR and West Ham have plodding, workman type players that won't wow you with any speed or trickery.

Couldn't agree more with your point about Man U with needing Vidal but potentially getting DiMaria instead. DiMaria is a nice player and the Rooney/RVP duo are potentially class but they need a rock in the midfield to get them the ball which he is not. They could deal with signing Vidal and Khedira to be honest but if their net spend on DiMaria is what has been reported they might not get either much less both. As it stands their current midfield are similar in stature to my sons U15 team.

Well, in fairness, Flethcer and Carrick give them some size, they're just slow on the ball and not that mobile. They can't dribble past anyone. You could play one of them next to a more dynamic box to box player, but playing them together is a midfield of death. Too slow and lethargic. Too uncertain of themselves on the ball.

Precisely, and the rest of ther midfielder options are 5'6 135 lbs aside from Herrera who's is a bit taller but still only 150 lbs maybe. Jonjo Shelvey gave him a proper premier league welcome week 1 to the extent that had to sub out and wasn't an option week 2. What are they going to do with Yaya Toure, etc ifthey can't even compete with Shelvey?

This was much like the opening game last year. Chelsea looked dominant in the first half. They took their foot off the gas in the second after getting a 2-goal lead. Last season, they proceeded to play defensive/counter-attack for the next 37 league games save for the annual torching of Arsenal at home. We'll see what happens this time around.

Not quite true. Chelsea tried to play attacking, flowing football, but found themselves in 3rd or 4th place in December. It was at this point that Mourinho tightened up at the back, and ran off a streak of about 11 straight wins, bringing them to first place in January or so.

Bad goal for Liverpool to give up before the half. They were more than holding their own. Lazy defending there.

PS -- Is this being played in mid-February and beamed back in time? It looks like winter there. I feel like I should start a fire in the fireplace.

Bad goal for Liverpool to give up before the half. They were more than holding their own. Lazy defending there.

PS -- Is this being played in mid-February and beamed back in time? It looks like winter there. I feel like I should start a fire in the fireplace.

Shite goal but not a bad showing thus far. We look to be their equal vs getting completed outclassed. Nervy moments from both teams at times, hopefully we find a few goals.

side note, Vincent Kompany apperently has lisence to do whatever he wants. Between dragging people down and hand balls it's a trip to watch him get away with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom