Prepare yourself for Lydon to be a one-n-done | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Prepare yourself for Lydon to be a one-n-done

Not awkward IMO - just needs in game repetitions and to pin down the 3 or 4 things that work for him. The spin move - once he slows down a bit - will kill less mobile defenders. He can knock down the 15 ft. jumper - just needs to launch decisively. Already a good finisher around the rim: fairly powerful dunker who surprised me with his ups on several occasions. You can see he's just a couple of steps away from crystallizing the package.

His rebounding is already excellent. I concur he needs to figure out what exactly to do on D but his lateral movement is good and he doesn't rack up fouls despite playing fairly physical D.

Nailed it.

Not awkward IMO - just needs in game repetitions and to pin down the 3 or 4 things that work for him. The spin move - once he slows down a bit - will kill less mobile defenders. He can knock down the 15 ft. jumper - just needs to launch decisively. Already a good finisher around the rim: fairly powerful dunker who surprised me with his ups on several occasions. You can see he's just a couple of steps away from crystallizing the package.

His rebounding is already excellent. I concur he needs to figure out what exactly to do on D but his lateral movement is good and he doesn't rack up fouls despite playing fairly physical D.

I think you're spot on. Watched Tyler play in person toward the end of his prep season this year. Came away thinking he has great foundational skills, and the game just needs to slow down a bit for him. He didn't look to score much in the game I watched. When he got the ball on the perimeter, I never saw him try to take his defender off the dribble but was usually content to pass it around (one game certainly is not a legitimate sample size). Hemay be better suited as a slasher early in his career. Decent comparison might be Demetris Nichols type game and career progression, slightly better leaper, hope he can be as good a defender early on. I certainly didn't come away thinking he was going to be one and done. In fact, a month or so ago, I thought he might redshirt, definitely don't expect that now!

I know a large portion of the SU fan base can't handle when a kid leaves for the NBA early for whatever reason but the writing is on the wall with Lydon

Based a performance in a high school all-star game?

2 words for you: Paul Harris

Let's at least wait until he plays some games in college before making that sort of statement.

MCC said:
He can knock down the 15 ft. jumper - just needs to launch decisively.

Hmmm. Agree with much of what you said, but not this. His form is simply atrocious. Ball sets way too deep in his palm and he gets almost no rotation or trajectory.

That's not something that's going to be fixed with simple confidence. It needs a rework if he wants to play in the league.

More likely he'll move his game closer to the basket this year where he'll play the four and excell at all the other aspects you mention.

He's a classic 3-4 tweener - size if a 3, skills of a four. These kinds of players can be an absolute beast in college, but have a really hard time making the next level.

But I looove his potential for us over the next two years.

Based a performance in a high school all-star game?

2 words for you: Paul Harris

Let's at least wait until he plays some games in college before making that sort of statement.

Unlike Paul Harris he isn't hilariously undersized at his desired position.

Yeah he's a total sleeper too.

He's ranked 64th in the top 100 by ESPN while BJ Johnson who was anointed the next big thing here was ranked 84th. I don't think anybody is sleeping on Lydon, not here and not on the national scene.

I know a large portion of the SU fan base can't handle when a kid leaves for the NBA early for whatever reason but the writing is on the wall with Lydon

Generally it doesn't bother me. But with TE leaving hurt us at that position.

Last edited:
He's ranked 64th in the top 100 by ESPN while BJ Johnson who was anointed the next big thing here was ranked 84th. I don't think anybody is sleeping on Lydon, not here and not on the national scene.

I was going to make this comment but BJ isn't 6-9, 205 pounds, with a 7-foot wingspan and can shoot 3s. BJ was 6-7, 180 and was blown around like feather on the court.

My fear with Lydon and with all our freshmen is how well and how quickly they adjust to the speed of D1 CBB. These guys did really well in HS but in CBB there will be a lot more pressure from the other team's defense when they go to shoot. It's been a very long time since we've had a player who was very good consistent outside shooter. Anyone care to enlighten me. I'm going to go with Demetris Nichols as our best outside threat over the years based on these statistics:

http://www.orangehoops.org/2006-2007.htm

In this class he is. He's almost been an afterthought in recruiting discussions here. People think he should redshirt...

In this class he is. He's almost been an afterthought in recruiting discussions here. People think he should redshirt...

Agreed, Ive noticed that which is why I found the OP humorous in contrast. Lydon may have outdone Howard as the least talked about on here, and that's including Bryant who didn't even sign.

For all I know he may be here 4 years(for whatever reasons), but at this point nothing would shock me, including some situations with the Two Tylers(tm) in at the same time.

Tyler won't even think about going pro . . . that is until the first mock draft comes out listing him as a lottery pick.:bat:--VBOF

Everybody is forgetting or neglecting the fact that Tyler is white haha. Who was the last white, non-European (or Russian or whatever), dude to be OAD?

There's not a chance in the world he goes pro after one year.

None.
You are probably right, but you never know. After watching Tyler Ennis in the pre season games in Canada that year I said he looks like a possible one and done to me and I got blasted on this board as basically being clueless. Because the general thought at the time was that he was a three of four year guy.

Kevin Love comes to mind

Exactly. There aren't many.

Koufos and Steve Adams were the only other recent white OAD players I could think of and they're foreign(ish). We could argue that Love is a PF, but if we count him as a Center and limit the list further to just forwards or SF, I'm guessing we'd really struggle to find one.

Now, I know the Lydon OAD talk ITT isn't too serious, but it looks like he would really have to impress in order to get any draft consideration early. We're talking at least 2nd team All-ACC numbers right off the bat.

2-and-done is a possibility if his measurables translate well on the court. I still think he's here all 4 years , or 3 years at least, but we shall see. I love everything about the kid's game; he just needs to fill out that frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody is forgetting or neglecting the fact that Tyler is white haha. Who was the last white, non-European (or Russian or whatever), dude to be OAD?

Tyler is white? I didn't notice.

One and done? I'm pretty sure Tyler should just forgo college completely, retire and wait for his induction to Springfield. Note: I'm just goofing around. I'm really looking forward to what I think Tyler will bring to the table for us./

You are probably right, but you never know. After watching Tyler Ennis in the pre season games in Canada that year I said he looks like a possible one and done to me and I got blasted on this board as basically being clueless. Because the general thought at the time was that he was a three of four year guy.

I was in the four year group. I was also in the three and two year group. But I am still not convinced he was ready. Maybe the d-league helped him more than playing one more year. Is there a reason why the NBA drafts so many player's to the d-league?

I think the NCAA should maybe do something good for CBB for a change and negotiate with the NBA to hold off drafting players until after their Sophomore year. Maybe give the NBA a share of the billion dollars of ads that go into the NCAA tournment. College football waits two years. Why should CBB be any different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom