Props to Cooney - assists are WAY up | Syracusefan.com

Props to Cooney - assists are WAY up

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Last season Cooney averaged one assist for every 28.76 minutes played. That's, uhm, pretty shaky potatoes for a guard.

But this season, Cooney's averaging an assist every 11.75 minutes. That's a really nice jump statistically. Even better, while his turnover rate is up, his assist to turnover rate currently stands at 2:1, a big improvement from last season when it was just a hair better than 1:1.

The low number of assists per minute from Cooney worried me a lot last season, and the exhibition reports this season didn't provide much evidence that we'd see growth there. In the games that count though Cooney's been much improved getting the ball to his teammates in places where they can score. These four games have actually been the best 4 game stretch of his career for assists.

I'm seeing signs that he has worked on his overall game and can be a bit more rounded as an offensive player. I also feel his shooting % is mostly a result of poor shot selection right now than anything. I'd love to see him be more discriminating in choosing which 3's he takes.

Oh I'll get this out of the way right now as well. Its completely all Trevor's fault whenever we lose and at the seasons end the only reason I can see not winning the NC is because Cooney is our 2G and plays way too many minutes. If Buss missed all those shots we win it all of course. :D Take it with a grain of salt guys way too many people on the extreme end opinion wise for Trevor rather than the objective middle ground.

The one thing I want to see Cooney do is really RUN on the break. He jogs down to the wing. He needs to get all the way to the corner so that when Joseph attacks the basket, Cooney's man will need to make a decision to help or stay with Cooney. When Cooney stops on the wing neither player has to leave their man because Cooney and Joseph's are too close to each other. Cooney has stopped at the wing all season. It's makes the decision for Joseph much harder. It's one of those little things that can mean an open three for Cooney or a drive for Joseph.

I'm seeing signs that he has worked on his overall game and can be a bit more rounded as an offensive player. I also feel his shooting % is mostly a result of poor shot selection right now than anything. I'd love to see him be more discriminating in choosing which 3's he takes.

Oh I'll get this out of the way right now as well. Its completely all Trevor's fault whenever we lose and at the seasons end the only reason I can see not winning the NC is because Cooney is our 2G and plays way too many minutes. If Buss missed all those shots we win it all of course. :D Take it with a grain of salt guys way too many people on the extreme end opinion wise for Trevor rather than the objective middle ground.
Jordoo, please. You know it's Obama's fault.

hoopsupstate said:
The one thing I want to see Cooney do is really RUN on the break. He jogs down to the wing. He needs to get all the way to the corner so that when Joseph attacks the basket, Cooney's man will need to make a decision to help or stay with Cooney. When Cooney stops on the wing neither player has to leave their man because Cooney and Joseph's are too close to each other. Cooney has stopped at the wing all season. It's makes the decision for Joseph much harder. It's one of those little things that can mean an open three for Cooney or a drive for Joseph.

That's how their break is designed. It's how Cooney ran it last year. How Triche ran it, Rautin's, GMac etc. It sets up the 3 point shooter on the wing so that if they are the trailer, you dump it back to him (GMacs favorite 3) or if you're ahead of the play, the pass goes quickly to you. The problem right now, and it's only because of experience, is that Joseph doesn't see the full court real well.

It's one thing if it's a 2-1 or 3-1 for everyone to go straight to the basket. But if it's 2-2 or 3-3 or 3-2 and we're pushing the ball hard, the break calls for the 3 point shooter to spot up on the wing. It also makes it easier for that guy to rotate back on defense if we don't score.

Last edited:
Always pull for Cooney but someone needs to shoot me the next time he hoists a fall-away 22 footer.
EXACTLY!!!!! that is why he doesn't score. he falls away 80% of the time. when he shoots off the pass or steps/squares up into the 3 ball he is much better. i am sure the coaches have told him that.

Cooney has also been making the effort to get to the rim more often now it seems when the jumpers aren't falling. I just hope he quits with the halfcourt bounce passes. They go right to the opponent's hands and start a fast break everytime for the other team. He'd probably have closer to a 3:1 ratio if he just dribbled up the court.

Stopping at the wing just creates very bad spacing and it's much easier for the defense. Running wide to the corners puts a lot more pressure on the defense. Cooney doesn't get back anyway, and for that matter Joseph isn't great getting back either. We've been giving up 2-3 baskets a game just because of bad rotations. Years ago it was a common problem, but the past few years we've been much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom