Props to the coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Props to the coaches

The best part of our new TE coach hire was Acosta getting a promotion to WR coach. Acosta deserved a raise and is a huge asset to SU FB.

Good job by SS.

I'm enthusiastic that the class is rounding out with pretty decently rated highschool prospects and not JUCO or B-list roster filler.

i am absolutely thrilled that we are getting back into nj which i believe is absolutely necessary to help regain our stature ---i would also ant to get the long island and nyc guys as they are tough and have attitudes. when coached well they can play with anyone

I hope that the good Doctor realizes that these guys are a perfect fit for Syracuse. They are selling something that doesnt have a darn thing to do with wins and losses or facilities and it is resonating with players and their famalies. Once we get back to bowling coupled with the new ACC network watch out! Awesome job by HCSS and the staff. Unreal!!
Agree with most of that except I think the ipf had something to do with the recent successes. It's quite a visual.

The seeds of playingat Giants Stadium 1x a year for 3 straight years has taken root and grown!!

I believe they did a great job, but we are still ranked dead last in the ACC in recruiting (247 sports). It's definitely the deepest class of quality players we've recruited in a long time and I believe several of them are rated too low. I think we still need to make huge improvements on the offensive side of the ball and recruit better in this area. I think we're doing pretty well on the defensive side, but until we can get a better than average QB, I don't think we can make the big jump that we all want. We are trending in the right direction, but are we actually closing the gap or just treading water? We won't know this answer for a couple of years.

We are last but that is factoring in a Long Snapper and Kicker who both are rated really low. In reality we are probably 12th or so...improvement for sure but we need to get up into the 30s.

Shafer bought himself and his staff an extra year.
The thing that I do not understand about shader is this….As a great defensive coach, you have to also understand offenses and how to attack them…and how they attack you. This perspective should give Shafer great insight on the kind of offense that he has most trouble defending….and set up his offensive system to duplicate that….

The thing that I do not understand about shader is this….As a great defensive coach, you have to also understand offenses and how to attack them…and how they attack you. This perspective should give Shafer great insight on the kind of offense that he has most trouble defending….and set up his offensive system to duplicate that….
More defensive coaches than not seem to have a non-offensive mindset. I guess they are used to read and react rather than initiate.

I agree NJ is key...we need 4-5 kids from the Top 50 every season. If 3 are in the Top 20 so much the better. Toad be damned.

Well when they commit they are Top 50, but once Toad finds out they're coming to Syracuse, off the list they go!

We have too many two stars to get a high class ranking. Even if we think half of our two stars are really three stars, we wouldn't be ranked much higher. While I think both the 2 and 3 star kids we are bringing in are better than previous years, we can't beat the competition by relying on finding diamonds in the rough. At some point we need a few 4 stars and fewer 2 stars. It's just stats in the end and we don't want to be betting against the odds all the time. We are improving but not where we need to be yet.

Just getting back our injured payers is like having a recruiting class of them. And having to play all those young guys will pay off as well. And now here comes a good class, some of whom might be able to contribute this year, as Ismael, Franklin and others did last year. We basically have to be better next year. it will be a question of how much better.

Just getting back our injured payers is like having a recruiting class of them. And having to play all those young guys will pay off as well. And now here comes a good class, some of whom might be able to contribute this year, as Ismael, Franklin and others did last year. We basically have to be better next year. it will be a question of how much better.

The injuries last year were truly ridiculous. It almost because laughable that we had 15+ guys out for the year. How does that even happen?!

Further, getting back some of these guys will be a huge boost. Shafer/Lester need to figure out how to put points on the board because the defense should be solid again.

Excellent point. It is just like having two classes this year.

Isn't this a lower quartile class in the ACC? How can you win when 75% of your competition is bringing in more talented players? What am I missing?

Stevenson said:
Isn't this a lower quartile class in the ACC? How can you win when 75% of your competition is bringing in more talented players? What am I missing?

Growth. Better classes each year is moving in the right direction. Fighting off SEC and good B1G teams hasn't happened around here for awhile. Plus - coming off a 3-9 record? Pretty damn good.

You won't get a higher rated class until we start winning on the field and being a Syracuse recruit will mean more to the "experts". Right now who else wanted them is the thing to look at.

We have too many two stars to get a high class ranking. Even if we think half of our two stars are really three stars, we wouldn't be ranked much higher. While I think both the 2 and 3 star kids we are bringing in are better than previous years, we can't beat the competition by relying on finding diamonds in the rough. At some point we need a few 4 stars and fewer 2 stars. It's just stats in the end and we don't want to be betting against the odds all the time. We are improving but not where we need to be yet.

We are also in the ACC, should be recruiting better because we have too, indoor facility, just look at the schedule week in week out, recruiting better yes, but nowhere near we need to be to get over the hump, which now it's two humps after last year. Like I said, I don't disagree with anyone that says we are recruiting better but we it's relative considering the conference change. Qb spot is a real question mark, and I agree with Stevensen, it's still a bottom 25% class in the ACC, lets just hope they can build from it. Agree with SWC though that there seems to be more P5 schools on our guys that 2-3 years ago but not as much as last year

However, if we lay an egg next year, you wont be able to recruit at all

IthacaBarrel said:
We are also in the ACC, should be recruiting better because we have too, indoor facility, just look at the schedule week in week out, recruiting better yes, but nowhere near we need to be to get over the hump, which now it's two humps after last year. Like I said, I don't disagree with anyone that says we are recruiting better but we it's relative considering the conference change. Qb spot is a real question mark, and I agree with Stevensen, it's still a bottom 25% class in the ACC, lets just hope they can build from it. Agree with SWC though that there seems to be more P5 schools on our guys that 2-3 years ago but not as much as last year However, if we lay an egg next year, you wont be able to recruit at all

I agree with you. This turned out to be a solid class, but it's all relative. It should be a better class then 3 years ago because of the upgrade in facilities, conference affiliation, and us climbing out of that dark period. I still don't think it's enough if we want to get lpast that 6-7 win plateau, and still below what our conference foes bring in.

This is a good class, and certainly better then it was looking 2 months ago, but I wouldn't get carried away labeling anybody master recruiters just yet.

anomander said:
I agree with you. This turned out to be a solid class, but it's all relative. It should be a better class then 3 years ago because of the upgrade in facilities, conference affiliation, and us climbing out of that dark period. I still don't think it's enough if we want to get lpast that 6-7 win plateau, and still below what our conference foes bring in. This is a good class, and certainly better then it was looking 2 months ago, but I wouldn't get carried away labeling anybody master recruiters just yet.

It's more than just conference affiliation and IPF though. It's near impossible to prove - but I'd say this group of coaches are more than competent.

TexanMark said:
We are last but that is factoring in a Long Snapper and Kicker who both are rated really low. In reality we are probably 12th or so...improvement for sure but we need to get up into the 30s.

Yet both the long snapper and kicker are very good.

So makes no sense.

Ratings shouldn't downgrade the class because of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom