PS: Former Syracuse center Conrad McRae's high school to name basketball gym after him | Syracusefan.com

PS: Former Syracuse center Conrad McRae's high school to name basketball gym after him

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse, N.Y. — Conrad McRae, the late Syracuse University basketball player, will have his high school's gymnasium named in his honor in September.

McRae, a native of Brooklyn, attended Brooklyn Tech before coming to Syracuse where he played from 1989 to 1993.

Brooklyn Tech will dedicate its gym to McRae during a ceremony on Friday, Sept. 16. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m...

proxy.jpg

Former Syracuse center Conrad McRae's high school to name basketball gym after him (Waters)

Sad that he's not around to enjoy this, but a great honor for Conrad. My first memory of an SU basketball game at the dome was Conrad throwing down a reverse dunk on a fast break and the crowd going wild. He was my first favorite SU athlete and the reason why his picture is my avatar.

Awesome honor for Conrad. Still sad to think of losing one of our guys so young. I had forgotten he got to the point where he averaged 12 ppg and 7 boards his senior year.

Awesome honor for Conrad. Still sad to think of losing one of our guys so young. I had forgotten he got to the point where he averaged 12 ppg and 7 boards his senior year.

I always thought they should've retired his number after Duany graduated. I realize they can't do that for everyone who dies, but he was deserving, given the circumstances. Nice guy, ferocious dunker, one of my favorites.

That is a great honor for Conrad and his family. I was at this game in Philly, the first of many 'Cuse games I would attend over the years here. Conrad sticks it to Vanilla The Spectrum went from jubilant to silent in 1.3 seconds. Hard to believe it was 23 years ago. Some great tidbits in the article, particularly Nova's anemic record and Lappas's whining.

That is a great honor for Conrad and his family. I was at this game in Philly, the first of many 'Cuse games I would attend over the years here. Conrad sticks it to Vanilla The Spectrum went from jubilant to silent in 1.3 seconds. Hard to believe it was 23 years ago. Some great tidbits in the article, particularly Nova's anemic record and Lappas's whining.
100% fact I was the creator of Conrad's Corner

Syracuse, N.Y. — Conrad McRae, the late Syracuse University basketball player, will have his high school's gymnasium named in his honor in September.

McRae, a native of Brooklyn, attended Brooklyn Tech before coming to Syracuse where he played from 1989 to 1993.

Brooklyn Tech will dedicate its gym to McRae during a ceremony on Friday, Sept. 16. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m...

proxy.jpg

Former Syracuse center Conrad McRae's high school to name basketball gym after him (Waters)

that's an awesome pic of McNasty.

Conrad was the subject of his own editorial in the NY Times. I am proud to say it was written by my friend Bob Semple after he heard me rant about what the NCAA was trying to do to Conrad. After the editorial appeared, the NCAA backed off.

The Hounding of Conrad McRae
He was one of my favorites with his smile and his athleticism. He inspired me to make the sign which hung all season. Then Doug Logan and I handed it to him on his last game.