PS: Tyler Lydon ranked the ninth-best player in college basketball by The Big Lead | Syracusefan.com

PS: Tyler Lydon ranked the ninth-best player in college basketball by The Big Lead

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse's Tyler Lydon is expected to make a huge leap as a sophomore, transitioning from sixth-man to alpha male for the SU basketball team.

Just how big will the expectations be nationally? One of the earliest signals arrived on Wednesday when the popular sports blog, The Big Lead, named Lydon the ninth-best player in college basketball heading into next season.

The website's annual list of the 50 best players was put together by Jason McIntyre, who co-hosts the Fox Sports One show "Speak for Yourself," with Jason Whitlock and Colin Cowherd...

proxy.jpg

Tyler Lydon ranked the ninth-best player in college basketball by The Big Lead

That is impressive for a guy who many think will be coming off the bench!

Seriously though it shows you how much turnover you have these days in college hoops. Lydon showed a lot of potential, had a great freshman season, would have been a 1st round draft pick had he left but still coming back and being a possible top10 player in all of college basketball says more about college bball being unable to keep its top talent around long enough to really develop it than it does about anything else.

Giles as #1? Very skeptical. How often is a freshman truly the best player in college ball, esp coming of two knee injuries? For example, were Simmons or Ingram truly the best player in college basketball last year? I doubt it. Maybe Ingram had the most potential, but he was clearly not the best player. Maybe Simmons was most talented but when you look at his #s and his teams record, very difficult to say he was the best player or most dominant player, in terms of actual impact

Giles as #1? Very skeptical. How often is a freshman truly the best player in college ball, esp coming of two knee injuries? For example, were Simmons or Ingram truly the best player in college basketball last year? I doubt it. Maybe Ingram had the most potential, but he was clearly not the best player. Maybe Simmons was most talented but when you look at his #s and his teams record, very difficult to say he was the best player or most dominant player, in terms of actual impact
These lists are always dominated by the freshman, at least the past ten years or so. Kind of since Melo.

Carmelo durant anthony davis... Its not that unusual. Im sure theres more too.

Of course it happens, but out of the last 15 years how often has a freshman really been the best player (in terms of impact, ie player of the year)? 5 times? Not convinced Giles is an ADavis or Okafor type. We shall see

And in terms of Carmelo, i do believe he was the best player (or right there) in the ncaas. But i dont remember anyone calling Carmelo the best player in college during the regular season. Its tough for freshmen to dominate, takes time

Edit, and theres two different things, best player and best prospect, not the same necessarily

And in terms of Carmelo, i do believe he was the best player (or right there) in the ncaas. But i dont remember anyone calling Carmelo the best player in college during the regular season. Its tough for freshmen to dominate, takes time

Edit, and theres two different things, best player and best prospect, not the same necessarily

I guess im not sure what youre saying. Thats like at least 1/3 of the time when a frosh has been the best player in past 15 years... Thats often fairly often...

Agreed it's not the same. And he says in the article:
The criteria: 1/3 their NBA prospects, 1/3 their individual talent, 1/3 how vital they are to their team’s success.

This is why I don't think we want him coming off the bench.
Maybe he gets the same recognition as Dion Waiters for being the team spark plug. Didn't seem to hurt Dion's NBA opportunity. It just might work, and I can see it happening, but that's up to the coaches.

Maybe he gets the same recognition as Dion Waiters for being the team spark plug. Didn't seem to hurt Dion's NBA opportunity. It just might work, and I can see it happening, but that's up to the coaches.
Nobody viewed Dion as the preseason 9th best player in college hoops.

Great to hear Lydon get some publicity.

But yes, Lydon may come off the bench for this SU squad. It is a unique situation and it could be best for the team. Several reasons:
Personel - You don't bench previously starting seniors. So DC2 and TR start. AW3 would need to start.
You want to limit the time 7'2"PC and TR are on the floor together. You don't want your 3 primary bench players being 7'2", TR, and FH - all poor shooters and poor offensive options.

And as pointed out, the article is using as part of its criteria is NBA prospects which is not really relevant to the college game.

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse's Tyler Lydon is expected to make a huge leap as a sophomore, transitioning from sixth-man to alpha male for the SU basketball team.

Just how big will the expectations be nationally? One of the earliest signals arrived on Wednesday when the popular sports blog, The Big Lead, named Lydon the ninth-best player in college basketball heading into next season.

The website's annual list of the 50 best players was put together by Jason McIntyre, who co-hosts the Fox Sports One show "Speak for Yourself," with Jason Whitlock and Colin Cowherd...

proxy.jpg

Tyler Lydon ranked the ninth-best player in college basketball by The Big Lead

That's my boy!

Who would you guys compare Lydon to? This kid was an incredible find and possibly could be (fingers crossed) our most dominant player since Wes/Hak/Melo