Class of 2014 - QB AJ Long | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 QB AJ Long

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Teaser headline on the other site says “Orange hosts QB”

I assume this means he's visited or is visiting?

That QB is AJ Long out of Lebanon, Tennessee. Dual threat – 6’2 190

Offers:
Syracuse
Arizona
UCLA

Teaser also says Syracuse has offers out to 7 quarterbacks.

I like the strategy - offer a bunch of very good dual threat QBs and tell them there's one spot for whomever wants it, but better not wait too long as someone else might take it.

Then once one kid jumps onboard, get them working to help recruit other skill position players.

I disagree. First, your premise assumes that we're only taking one QB. Second, the commit's not binding until Signing Day. If the 'commit' flips, then, under your scenario, we would lose any recruits this kid might bring us, plus we'd have no QB recruit. Finally, this notion of kids recruiting other kids hasn't yielded us many windfalls that I'm aware of. I'd just as soon leave the recruiting to the recruiters.

My hunch is that they'll close on an A list QB this year. I think it's an easier sell to a kid knowing that you're the new staff's guy running his offense.

The ACC effect will be interesting to watch as well. Southern kids are more likely to listen now.

This is AJ Long out of TN but I see there is another QB by the same name that played in PA.

* edit He did transfer from PA.

I disagree. First, your premise assumes that we're only taking one QB. Second, the commit's not binding until Signing Day. If the 'commit' flips, then, under your scenario, we would lose any recruits this kid might bring us, plus we'd have no QB recruit. Finally, this notion of kids recruiting other kids hasn't yielded us many windfalls that I'm aware of. I'd just as soon leave the recruiting to the recruiters.
first - it doesn't matter if the # of QBs is one or two
second - you really think I meant they would simply let the HS quarterback single-handedly recruit all the other skill position kids and the entire class depends on whether or not he flips?

ok - so tell the QBs there's no limit on schollies available, don't care when you commit regardless of others at your same position - and if you do decide to commit you are forbidden from contacting any other recruits lest you decide to flip and decimate the entire class

better?

first - it doesn't matter if the # of QBs is one or two
second - you really think I meant they would simply let the HS quarterback single-handedly recruit all the other skill position kids and the entire class depends on whether or not he flips?

ok - so tell the QBs there's no limit on schollies available, don't care when you commit regardless of others at your same position - and if you do decide to commit you are forbidden from contacting any other recruits lest you decide to flip and decimate the entire class

better?

Allow me to quote from you: "...offer a bunch of very good dual threat QBs and tell them there's one spot for whomever wants it, but better not wait too long as someone else might take it." Are you now saying that '...it doesn't matter if the # of QB's is one or two'? OK, but that's not what you said.

As to the question you raised about the QB recruiting, YOU brought up the issue. I neither said nor implied that it was 'single-handedly'. What I said was "Finally, this notion of kids recruiting other kids hasn't yielded us many windfalls that I'm aware of." Only willful misinterpretation can lead to any mention of a high school player singlehandedly recruiting others.

And anyone familiar with rhetorical tricks recognizes the phrase "ok - so tell the QBs there's no limit on schollies available, don't care when you commit regardless of others at your same position - and if you do decide to commit you are forbidden from contacting any other recruits lest you decide to flip and decimate the entire class..." for what it is. A false choice.

Allow me to quote from you: "...offer a bunch of very good dual threat QBs and tell them there's one spot for whomever wants it, but better not wait too long as someone else might take it." Are you now saying that '...it doesn't matter if the # of QB's is one or two'? OK, but that's not what you said.

As to the question you raised about the QB recruiting, YOU brought up the issue. I neither said nor implied that it was 'single-handedly'. What I said was "Finally, this notion of kids recruiting other kids hasn't yielded us many windfalls that I'm aware of." Only willful misinterpretation can lead to any mention of a high school player singlehandedly recruiting others.

And anyone familiar with rhetorical tricks recognizes the phrase "ok - so tell the QBs there's no limit on schollies available, don't care when you commit regardless of others at your same position - and if you do decide to commit you are forbidden from contacting any other recruits lest you decide to flip and decimate the entire class..." for what it is. A false choice.
ok, king of the selective quote and memory - I said that once a QB had committed they could help recruit other skill position kids - for some reason you thought that was a bad idea because if they then at some point they were to flip then SU "would lose any recruits this kid might bring us" and then concluded that "I'd just as soon leave the recruiting to the recruiters." so yes - you implied that these recruits came and went at the discretion of that one QB recruit and that "the recruiters" wouldn't be involved. As if the staff wouldn't be involved in bringing in other skill position kids just because the qb commit helped.

Want to keep going on this silly argument or maybe do a better job explaining why you wouldn't want to have a stud QB recruit helping with other recruits like every other school in the country?

Great get.. We clearly want mobile QBs.. Solid offers and huge potential. Hope we can fend off the big guys

ok, king of the selective quote and memory - I said that once a QB had committed they could help recruit other skill position kids - for some reason you thought that was a bad idea because if they then at some point they were to flip then SU "would lose any recruits this kid might bring us" and then concluded that "I'd just as soon leave the recruiting to the recruiters." so yes - you implied that these recruits came and went at the discretion of that one QB recruit and that "the recruiters" wouldn't be involved. As if the staff wouldn't be involved in bringing in other skill position kids just because the qb commit helped.

Want to keep going on this silly argument or maybe do a better job explaining why you wouldn't want to have a stud QB recruit helping with other recruits like every other school in the country?

You and I agree with you that it's silly. And once again, you're using a false choice. After all, if '...helping with other recruits like every other school in the country' is so prevalent, and it is, then why mention it as an advantage in recruiting this guy or any other QB in the first place? You know, if they all do it.

Having said that, I'm thrilled with the commit. Already had a couple of good offers (Arizona and UCLA), so this is big.

I'm confused. Since Long is neither from Georgia nor Illinois* I'm not sure how I should feel about the staff's recruitment of him.

(feel free to substitute New Jersey or New York if you prefer a northeastern flavor to this post).

He's from PA. That's our backyard. Great news.

You and I agree with you that it's silly. And once again, you're using a false choice. After all, if '...helping with other recruits like every other school in the country' is so prevalent, and it is, then why mention it as an advantage in recruiting this guy or any other QB in the first place? You know, if they all do it.

Having said that, I'm thrilled with the commit. Already had a couple of good offers (Arizona and UCLA), so this is big.
pretty much what I expected to get back - try to divert attention from your bad positions by labeling things "false choices"

so just to summarize - I hope this kid now gets out there and tries to help get other top players interested in joining him at Syracuse (ie recruiting). You think that's a bad idea and hope he does not.

My hunch is that they'll close on an A list QB this year. I think it's an easier sell to a kid knowing that you're the new staff's guy running his offense.

The ACC effect will be interesting to watch as well. Southern kids are more likely to listen now.

well done... ;)

Teaser headline on the other site says “Orange hosts QB”

I assume this means he's visited or is visiting?

That QB is AJ Long out of Lebanon, Tennessee. Dual threat – 6’2 190

Offers:
Syracuse
Arizona
UCLA

Teaser also says Syracuse has offers out to 7 quarterbacks.

Nice record in PA before his Mom transfered him to TN.
Record-breaking quarterback A.J. Long, who has thrown for 6,547 yards and 73 touchdowns in just two seasons at Pius X, has left the school.

REALLY nice pickup. According to TOS, he visited Alabama in September and Pitt in Febuary.

He had interest from:
Syracuse
Alabama
App. State
Arizona
Duke
Maryland
Mass.
Memphis
Miami (Fl)
Ohio
Ohio St.
Oregon
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
SMU
Stanford
Temple
Tennessee
Texas A&M
UCLA
Vanderbilt

That's pretty good. Pretty...pretty...pretty good.

pretty-good.jpg

REALLY nice pickup. According to TOS, he visited Alabama in September and Pitt in Febuary.

He had interest from:
Syracuse
Alabama
App. State
Arizona
Duke
Maryland
Mass.
Memphis
Miami (Fl)
Ohio
Ohio St.
Oregon
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
SMU
Stanford
Temple
Tennessee
Texas A&M
UCLA
Vanderbilt

Love athletic, dual purpose QBs!

Keep them coming!

Not bad for a MAC Staff.

Stole a quality QB out of $EC country ;-)

He had interest from:
Syracuse
Alabama
App. State
Arizona
Duke
Maryland
Mass.
Memphis
Miami (Fl)
Ohio
Ohio St.
Oregon
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
SMU
Stanford
Temple
Tennessee
Texas A&M
UCLA
Vanderbilt

pretty-good.jpg
Hey,its freaking great.No doubt this kid is Div 1 worthy and capable. Good start for George and Scott. Getting these prospects is a major "do" When they see the goods and the history its hard to say no.

I wish you two lawyer wannabees would carry this annoying conversation elsewhere.