Class of 2014 - QB AJ Long | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 QB AJ Long

For those who haven't heard it, go to the audio vault at ESPNCNY and listen to Upon Further Review's interview with AJ. He does not mince words when talking about Shafer/McDonald/Lester vs. Marrone/Hackett. He said FHCDM isolated himself in his office while Shafer and company showed AJ around campus all day. No way he would come to SU if Marrone had stayed, he was quite clear about that. Really interesting info. Like Zaire, AJ sounds like a really smart young man with a good head on his shoulders.

For those who haven't heard it, go to the audio vault at ESPNCNY and listen to Upon Further Review's interview with AJ. He does not mince words when talking about Shafer/McDonald/Lester vs. Marrone/Hackett. He said FHCDM isolated himself in his office while Shafer and company showed AJ around campus all day. No way he would come to SU if Marrone had stayed, he was quite clear about that. Really interesting info. Like Zaire, AJ sounds like a really smart young man with a good head on his shoulders.
Link

Thanks for the Link OE. Nice to see you "up and wandering around" the site.

I hadn't heard AJ speak before but I am so impressed by this interview. What a smart kid.

I think the Marrone/Shafer differences may just be a matter of style. A lot of programs allow the position coaches to do the majority of the "hands-on" recruiting, then the HC comes in at the end to seal the deal. I know that Paterno at Penn St. used to use this approach. I recall one recruit (Tamba Hali I think) who PSU stole from us when Paterno met the kid to shoot hoops. It's sort of like the approach car dealerships use - the negotiations, test drive etc. take place with the salesman, then at a critical point the manager enters the scene to get you to commit to buying.

I think the Marrone/Shafer differences may just be a matter of style. A lot of programs allow the position coaches to do the majority of the "hands-on" recruiting, then the HC comes in at the end to seal the deal. I know that Paterno at Penn St. used to use this approach. I recall one recruit (Tamba Hali I think) who PSU stole from us when Paterno met the kid to shoot hoops. It's sort of like the approach car dealerships use - the negotiations, test drive etc. take place with the salesman, then at a critical point the manager enters the scene to get you to commit to buying.
I think that's because Paterno was too old to walk around campus

I think that's because Paterno was too old to walk around campus
For years, one of the biggest negative recruiting arguments against PSU was that Paterno was ready to retire and wouldn't be there for a player's entire career. If I remember correctly, after his visit Hali mentioned being impressed with JoPa's vitality while shooting hoops, and that it didn't appear he was ready to retire any time soon... I believe this was around 2001. Hali really hurt because he was an SU lean until that visit. Say what you about JoPa, but knowing Hali's concerns, it was a clever ploy.

For years, one of the biggest negative recruiting arguments against PSU was that Paterno was ready to retire and wouldn't be there for a player's entire career. If I remember correctly, after his visit Hali mentioned being impressed with JoPa's vitality while shooting hoops, and that it didn't appear he was ready to retire any time soon... I believe this was around 2001. Hali really hurt because he was an SU lean until that visit. Say what you about JoPa, but knowing Hali's concerns, it was a clever ploy.
I was joking. He had to be about 70 when Hali visited, not that old. And the older he got, the more respect he received as well, up until the very end

1. Michael Cohen@Michael_Cohen13 1h
  2. @DevonHeinen I've heard rumblings that Long will be converted to another position when he gets here, so who knows.
Devon Heinen@DevonHeinen 58m
  1. @Michael_Cohen13 really? Wow. Even if Hunt isn't the starter this year? What is Long's take on all that, do you know?

1. Michael Cohen@Michael_Cohen13 55m
  2. @DevonHeinen Just rumblings. I haven't heard anything concrete. It could be nothing. My guess is A.J. wouldn't be happy about it.
Devon Heinen@DevonHeinen 52m
  1. @Michael_Cohen13 I hope rumblings is all that it is. I think he could be a great QB.

1. Michael Cohen@Michael_Cohen13 44m
    @DevonHeinen He looks good on film. I've never seen him play in person. But he looks a bit small to me at 180.

Yes, you have never seen him play. You know nothing so why the F would you ever tweet something unsubstantiated like this.

Yep, nothing like starting a rumor that AJ will undoubtedly see. smh

Cohen trying to create a story where there is none?

The other guy is a Cuse alum working at ESPN

What the is cohen's problem? Rumblings, really? Who's his source Donnie Manhattan or Arizonaknight? Because I doubt he had a sit down with GMc.

It makes ZERO sense that in August a full year before AJ would arrive at camp that there would be such a rumbling. What a douche Cohen is.