Class of 2016 - QB Andrew Ford (PA) to UMass | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Andrew Ford (PA) to UMass

tep624

Living Legend
Now let me preface this by saying that I have NO idea if the staff knows is recruiting him, isn't recruiting him, etc. He's a guy that I found after scouring the recruiting databases and he intrigued me.

Currently at Lackawanna JC. Pro Style QB. Here are his 2015 season highlights:

2013 Elite 11 Finalist, 2013 PA Gatorade player of the year, transferred from Virginia Tech, 6'3 210. Currently not committed anywhere that I could find. I'm not QB scout but looks like he throws a decent ball, has good pocket awareness and has some mobility.

Offered by Iowa St. in November, but I'm sure that's an old staff offer by them and may or may not be committable. He's a PA kid so he's close by as well.

I forwarded his video onto Coach Lewis, not sure if anything comes of it. Just looking at the options out there, he looked like the best thing available to get an upperclassman on campus to provide some depth that would fit in this offense.

Last edited:
What do you think about this guy, Andrew Ford. Currently at Lackawanna JC:

2013 Elite 11 Finalist, transferred from Virginia Tech, 6'3 210. Currently not committed anywhere that I could find. I'm not QB scout but looks like he throws a decent ball, has good pocket awareness and has some mobility.
Iowa St offer and visit back in early November
I got to see the kid in High School, looked really good and I came away impressed. VTech beat out Pitt and Virginia for him out of High School. Doesn't seem to have much interest from schools at this point.

What do you think about this guy, Andrew Ford. Currently at Lackawanna JC:

2013 Elite 11 Finalist, transferred from Virginia Tech, 6'3 210. Currently not committed anywhere that I could find. I'm not QB scout but looks like he throws a decent ball, has good pocket awareness and has some mobility.
Looks like he has an Iowa State offer, and interest from Arizona, Pitt, Colorado, and Eastern Michigan. Rated 3 stars by Scout.

Iowa St offer and visit back in early November
I got to see the kid in High School, looked really good and I came away impressed. VTech beat out Pitt and Virginia for him out of High School. Doesn't seem to have much interest from schools at this point.

Yeah I know, and I'm not sure why. And the Iowa St. offer is from their old staff so I'm not sure that's even committable. I'm going to send it on to Coach Lewis...maybe they've already graded this kid out and he's not a fit or whatever.

Yeah I know, and I'm not sure why. And the Iowa St. offer is from their old staff so I'm not sure that's even committable. I'm going to send it on to Coach Lewis...maybe they've already graded this kid out and he's not a fit or whatever.
Never hurts to send it to the coaches and yeah you are correct that would be from the old staff, good catch.

Poor man's Kenny Stabler. Maybe there's a Ford in our future.

I'm on board Coach Tep. He definitely passes the look test and seems to have the proper qualifications. Pretty good numbers at Lackawanna. Strong arm and decent mechanics.
God knows we could use another able bodied QB. Why isn't this kid getting more offers? Any response back from the coaches?

5 days left.

This looks a job for the 'Cuse Twitter Army.

Dungey
Maybe Hunt
Mahoney
Culpepper (Coming off the injury)
Walk on from the Thousand Islands
Womack?

I'm on board Coach Tep. He definitely passes the look test and seems to have the proper qualifications. Pretty good numbers at Lackawanna. Strong arm and decent mechanics.
God knows we could use another able bodied QB. Why isn't this kid getting more offers? Any response back from the coaches?

5 days left.

Dungey
Maybe Hunt
Mahoney
Womack?

Wilson

Wilson

How did I forget Wilson?

image.jpg

5 days left.

Dungey
Maybe Hunt
Mahoney
Womack?
Why waste a spot on this kid when we can recruit better QBs after they see our system at work this season?

Would make no sense.

Why waste a spot on this kid when we can recruit better QBs after they see our system at work this season?

Would make no sense.

Good point. In addition to hopefully getting back to a bowl in 2016, I want the season to be an advertisement to '17, '18 and '19 recruits.

Would make no sense.

Uh maybe because we are one injury away from a complete disaster next season? Does 2015 ring any bells for you?

Wilson is awful.
Mahoney is an option QB.
Womack is about as raw as it gets.
Hunt is not getting his waiver.

So you've got Dungey coming off multiple concussions and Rex Culpepper, a true frosh who is coming off a serious knee injury that kept him out his entire senior season.

And to top it off, this kid is only a JUCO that would only be here for 2 seasons. You act like we're committing 4 years to Matt Hale or something like that.

Uh maybe because we are one injury away from a complete disaster next season? Does 2015 ring any bells for you?

Wilson is awful.
Mahoney is an option QB.

So you've got Dungey coming off multiple concussions and Rex Culpepper, a true frosh who is coming off a serious knee injury that kept him out his entire senior season.

And to top it off, this kid is only a JUCO that would only be here for 2 seasons. You act like we're committing 4 years to Matt Hale or something like that.
If we get to our 5th QB we're not winning anything anyways.

We need to get over the 'taking warm bodies' to have them that Shafer used to do, especially in Dino's first year. You don't want to waste spots on guys that don't fit the system. 2 years is still wasting a scholarship for 2 years and limiting the number of kids we can take next year. If we leave 3-4 spots in this class, that just means we can add more guys who fit the system in Jan '17 and backdate them. The sooner we transition the athletes to ones that fit Dino's system, the faster they succeed. Wasting that spot will just slow down the process of turning over.

We have guys like McGloster, Perry, and Burton that we took after signing day because we had extra scholarships. I hope eventually they can contribute but right now they're just wasting scholarships that we now can't use to get to 25 this class.

Would make no sense.

I see your point but it's no guarantee any of our current guys can run this system either. These guys are all starting from square one.

I'd say we hedge our bets with a former 4 Star...Gatorade POY out of PA. He'd immediately be our second best option on arm strength alone. Let's get another PA kid on board to help the pipeline.

I'm not saying this kid is the answer but he's got an ISU offer , not sure if it's still on the table, and some interest from other P5's. How does a kid go from Va Tech to a JUCO and immediately becomes damaged goods? I wonder if he would take a Preferred Walk On spot.

Wilson is awful.
Mahoney is an option QB.

So in the crazy situation (let's call it the UMD effect), we lose all of our QB's...if we have to rely on a JUCO kid that no one else is going after...we have already lost. I don't think we need to wager potential future roster spots on preparing for the most unlikely of scenarios.

So in the crazy situation (let's call it the UMD effect), we lose all of our QB's...if we have to rely on a JUCO kid that no one else is going after...we have already lost. I don't think we need to wager potential future roster spots on preparing for the most unlikely of scenarios.

I feel like I'm in crazy town. Did you guys watch the past two seasons? We don't need to thrust another kid with no college experience into a game like we've done the past two seasons. We keep talking about Dino's system but if we don't have one kid who can run it the only thing it's showing off is our defense.

Again, I'm not saying this kid is some kind of savior but it would be nice to have a kid who can throw a 15 yd out on a rope. Let's be realistic, this kid would not be the 5th best option off our bench.

If we get to our 5th QB we're not winning anything anyways.

We need to get over the 'taking warm bodies' to have them that Shafer used to do, especially in Dino's first year. You don't want to waste spots on guys that don't fit the system. 2 years is still wasting a scholarship for 2 years and limiting the number of kids we can take next year. If we leave 3-4 spots in this class, that just means we can add more guys who fit the system in Jan '17 and backdate them. The sooner we transition the athletes to ones that fit Dino's system, the faster they succeed. Wasting that spot will just slow down the process of turning over.

We have guys like McGloster, Perry, and Burton that we took after signing day because we had extra scholarships. I hope eventually they can contribute but right now they're just wasting scholarships that we now can't use to get to 25 this class.

An elite 11 finalist and the former Gatorade Player of the Year in PA is not a warm body. And McGloster, Perry, and Burton were 4 year project players that not a single program gave a sniff to out of high school. This is a kid that was at Virginia Tech.

And I would argue he's better now than Wilson will ever be and is a better fit for this system than Mahoney will ever be. No way in the world he would be 5th string, 3rd at worst if Rex is Dungey part 2.

I would take the kid , we have 4 scholarships still open right now(five if we lose Nelson, hopefully not) and we could see a few transfers after spring ball for all we know. To me, this kid would become our second best option to start immediately if needed. You can't tell me Rex, Wilson, Mahoney or Womack are better options than Ford if we need to replace Dungey at some point in 2016...