Class of 2016 - QB Andrew Ford (PA) to UMass | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Andrew Ford (PA) to UMass

An elite 11 finalist and the former Gatorade Player of the Year in PA is not a warm body. And McGloster, Perry, and Burton were 4 year project players that not a single program gave a sniff to out of high school. This is a kid that was at Virginia Tech.

And I would argue he's better now than Wilson will ever be and is a better fit for this system than Mahoney will ever be. No way in the world he would be 5th string, 3rd at worst if Rex is Dungey part 2.
He is when he's currently at JUCO and not getting a sniff of interest from a D1 program right now. He's not committed, he's not making visits anywhere, he has NO interest if that's the case.
I would take the kid , we have 4 scholarships still open right now(five if we lose Nelson, hopefully not) and we could see a few transfers after spring ball for all we know. To me, this kid would become our second best option to start immediately if needed. You can't tell me Rex, Wilson, Mahoney or Womack are better options than Ford if we need to replace Dungey at some point in 2016...
We're going to be at/around/over 85 scholarships after signing day. we didn't have room for a full 25 person class. We should wait until next season and recruit 2 QBs then.

As I said, if we're at our 3rd/4th string QB we're not getting to a bowl next year. I'd rather roll with what we have, show the potential of the offense, and get two very good QBs that Dino WANTS next year.

As I said, if we're at our 3rd/4th string QB we're not getting to a bowl next year. I'd rather roll with what we have, show the potential of the offense, and get two very good QBs that Dino WANTS next year.

That may be YOUR take, but I doubt that is the coaching staff's take.

And besides, it doesn't matter what your opinion is. You're not on the coaching staff last I checked. I forwarded this on to them, maybe they've already evaluated him, maybe they're not interested, whatever. One thing I do know is that they were looking for another QB and this kid is an upgrade over at least half our depth chart right now IMO.

And besides, it doesn't matter what your opinion is. You're not on the coaching staff last I checked. I forwarded this on to them, maybe they've already evaluated him, maybe they're not interested, whatever. One thing I do know is that they were looking for another QB and this kid is an upgrade over at least half our depth chart right now IMO.
Right, and it's YOUR OPINION that he's an upgrade over half our depth chart. I guess we'll see if the staff does anything.

How did I forget Wilson?

View attachment 55024

:*( every time.

101-Cast-Away-quotes.gif

So would everyone be ok if we offered him a PWO spot and be near the top of the overflow scholarship list if we have extra? He's from Scranton so we have proximity and Gerry's Spirit to our advantage. He seems to make every throw and lead their team to an 8-1 record with several dominating wins. He did have an offer and visit Iowa State under their old staff.

Andrew Ford
Statistics category
Overall
Completions 110
Attempts 195
Completion % 56.4%
Yards 1764
Yards per game 196.0
Yards per attempt 9.0
Touchdowns 23
Interceptions 6
Sacks 16

While we are at it take a look another relative unkown JUCO PWO. Wyatt Roberts was the pocket passer At East Mississippi CC (8-1) that split time with dual threat John Franklin III who Auburn, Bama, and VT were drooling over. Except Roberts way out performed him passing, sat behind Chad Kelly in 2014 and Chad was decent this year ;), but has no offers that I can find, Grades?
4 Wyatt Roberts So. QB
9/9gp 159comp 243att 65.4% 2197yd 244.1yd/g 9.0yd/att 23TD 2INT
Rush: 243yd 4.9yd/att 3TD

Lacawanna JC is in Scranton. He is from Camp Hill (I work right next to it), still nice little drive up I-81 to Syracuse. He could always ride up with Austin Wilson :D

Lacawanna JC is in Scranton. He is from Camp Hill (I work right next to it), still nice little drive up I-81 to Syracuse. He could always ride up with Austin Wilson :D

I think Wilson is only around next fall if the staff doesn't take another QB in this class.

So would everyone be ok if we offered him a PWO spot and be near the top of the overflow scholarship list if we have extra? He's from Scranton so we have proximity and Gerry's Spirit to our advantage. He seems to make every throw and lead their team to an 8-1 record with several dominating wins. He did have an offer and visit Iowa State under their old staff.

Andrew Ford
Statistics category
Overall
Completions 110
Attempts 195
Completion % 56.4%
Yards 1764
Yards per game 196.0
Yards per attempt 9.0
Touchdowns 23
Interceptions 6
Sacks 16

While we are at it take a look another relative unkown JUCO PWO. Wyatt Roberts was the pocket passer At East Mississippi CC (8-1) that split time with dual threat John Franklin III who Auburn, Bama, and VT were drooling over. Except Roberts way out performed him passing, sat behind Chad Kelly in 2014 and Chad was decent this year ;), but has no offers that I can find, Grades?
4 Wyatt Roberts So. QB
9/9gp 159comp 243att 65.4% 2197yd 244.1yd/g 9.0yd/att 23TD 2INT
Rush: 243yd 4.9yd/att 3TD

PWO is a no-brainer if you ask me unless the kid has an attitude problem or some other unknown. The fact that he has no offers is really strange considering his pedigree and how he performed at Lackawanna which is a pretty well known JC. Must be something else going on there.

PWO is a no-brainer if you ask me unless the kid has an attitude problem or some other unknown. The fact that he has no offers is really strange considering his pedigree and how he performed at Lackawanna which is a pretty well known JC. Must be something else going on there.

On his twitter he's quoting Corinthians so I'll assume he's not out partying every night. His last post references his family. Seems like a good head on his shoulder. Seems very odd not even a UMASS would offer as I do see some of their folks are following him.

Last edited:
Donald Trump fan, eh?

Good lord Frozen I hope you're not referencing me because I'm about to pour acid into my own eyes for seeing my handle and Trump's name so close together.

If that's the case with Andrew Ford that alone may be why he has no offers ;)

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/former_virginia_tech_qb_andrew.html

Here's another article which has a lot of information on a background. I'm really surprised at the lack of interest, considering how he performed at Lackawanna (top 10 JUCO passer this year), and his film which doesn't blow you away but it's still a lot better than some recruited QB's I've seen.

Only thing I can think is if he is similar to guys we recruited like Lasker and Marona where they have the option of leaving after their first JUCO year or playing 2.

I don't disagree with you, but if we are not getting to a bowl next year and on our 3rd/4th string QB, not sure there is an offense to be shown off...

a guy who NO ONE is looking at is better than half our depth chart?

On his twitter he's quoting Corinthians so I'll assume he's not out partying every night. His last post references his family. Seems like a good head on his shoulder. Seems very odd not even a UMASS would offer as I do see some of their folks are following him.

Jon Jones has a passage of Philippians on his chest. I don't think scripture passages mean you don't like or know how to get down with the get down.

at the moment, yes

Rex has a lot of upside but he is a true freshman coming off ACL surgery
Womack has not played QB above the HS level. Good upside, but at what position?
Mahoney is an option QB. Babers doesn't run a system even close to fitting what the kid can do
Wilson is a great kid, but from what I have seen, a pretty blah QB

By no means do I think we have to run out and grab this kid, but I do think he is a pretty good option.

djorange1989 said:
at the moment, yes Rex has a lot of upside but he is a true freshman coming off ACL surgery Womack has not played QB above the HS level. Good upside, but at what position? Mahoney is an option QB. Babers doesn't run a system even close to fitting what the kid can do Wilson is a great kid, but from what I have seen, a pretty blah QB By no means do I think we have to run out and grab this kid, but I do think he is a pretty good option.

I wonder if the new system can help with Wilson's deficiencies enough to get him to be a solid #2 or #3.

Assuming ED is #1 QB in the fall, would A. Ford have a realistic shot of being #2 QB in the fall? (Not a chance? Unlikely? Absolutely? ...)
What are people's educated guesses?

Yes, I think a kid who is a pro style passer, who was the Gatorade state player of the year in PA, an elite 11 finalist, was recruited and committed to Virginia Tech over other P5 programs out of high school and had a top 10 JUCO passing year at a solid JUCO program is a better option. And Iowa St. did offer him as a QB out of JUCO under their old staff, so if we offer him, he still has more interest even coming out of JUCO than Wilson, Mahoney, or Womack ever got at the QB position when they were recruited.

Really, really struggling with why this is so difficult to understand or how it's so far fetched. You'd think we have 6 Joe Montanas on our roster.

Last edited:
Yes, I think a kid who is a pro style passer, who was the Gatorade state player of the year in PA, an elite 11 finalist, was recruited and committed to Virginia Tech over other P5 programs out of high school and had a top 10 JUCO passing year at a solid JUCO program is a better option. And Iowa St. did offer him as a QB out of JUCO under their old staff, so if we offer him, he still has more interest even coming out of JUCO than Wilson, Mahoney, or Womack ever got at the QB position when they were recruited.

Really, really struggling with why this is so difficult to understand or how it's so far fetched. You'd think we have 6 Joe Montanas on our roster.
Because it's not just about skill & ability, right? I mean he has that historically... but there's a reason he ended up not attending VT, and there's a reason he's not being recruited now. We just don't know what is.

Because it's not just about skill & ability, right? I mean he has that historically... but there's a reason he ended up not attending VT, and there's a reason he's not being recruited now. We just don't know what is.

I completely agree, there may be other things going on that we don't know about and I've mentioned that previously in this thread.

On ability alone though, you'd think I was trying to sell Webster as an upgrade over Joe Montana at QB.

Seems to me like he has great pocket awareness but his footwork seems really awkward to me.

I think it is hard to understand because apparently nobody except Iowa States old staff agree with you at the college level. You did some good research to find this, but we go through this constantly on this board where someone finds a prospect and starts pencilling them in as better than the existing players. Your logic is essentially that Iowa State trumps the offers of the other players but wouldn't 1 Iowa state offer equal 1 Syracuse offer so their interest level is exactly the same? So you want to replace 2 1 offer guys and a walk on with a 1 offer guy. And the pre Juco stuff is not worthy of a conversation if his JUCO tape can't get him a look.