Class of 2015 - QB Blake Barnett transfers from Bama to Arizona St | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 QB Blake Barnett transfers from Bama to Arizona St

CuseLegacy

http://247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-others-reaching-out-to-Alabama-transfer-Blake-Barnett-48177776

No he isn't coming to SU but it just interesting that he transferred this year and may be able to play in 2017. May be the new loophole for QBs that lose out on the starting spot.

Former Alabama quarterback Blake Barnett has his new (temporary) home, and he’s already begun looking for his next one, too.

A source close to Barnett tells 247Sports that he enrolled Thursday at Palomar Junior College in California, where he will attend school through the spring semester, which ends May 27. From there, Barnett, a class of 2015 five-star recruit per the 247Sports Composite, will return to the FBS ranks of college football to play most of the 2017 season.

Texas A&M has already contacted Barnett directly, 247Sports learned Tuesday — an intriguing subplot given the Aggies and Alabama share SEC West real estate.

RELATED: Why Texas A&M would be perfect for Barnett

Jeff Steinberg, who coached Barnett in high school, told 247Sports in a separate conversation that Pac-12 schools Oregon, UCLA, Washington and Cal had spoken with him about his former pupil.

Michigan State, Miami and Florida have also expressed interest.

"I could see him narrowing it down fairly quickly," Steinberg said of Barnett's recruitment, "and trying to make a decision by Christmastime."

Now that Barnett is enrolled at Palomar, any college is free to speak to him, including SEC programs (players who transfer directly from one four-year institution to another are almost always barred from moving in-conference). As a 4-2-4 transfer, Alabama has no control of where Barnett ends up. It’s a massive loophole that 247Sports reported on when Barnett first announced his intent to transfer.

The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Barnett signed with Alabama in the 2015 recruiting class over offers from the likes of Notre Dame, Michigan and Oregon. He ranked as the No. 2 pro-style passer in the land and No. 21 recruit overall per the 247Sports Composite.

Barnett redshirted in 2015 and started the Crimson Tide’s season opener this year against USC, but was replaced by freshman Jalen Hurts after just two series. Barnett did appear in three games of the first four games for the top-ranked Crimson Tide, completing 11-of-19 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns before deciding to leave the program. His timing to do so along with enrolling at a JUCO allows him to be eligible next season at the school of his choosing. Had Barnett stayed in Tuscaloosa all season he would have had to sit out next fall per NCAA transfer rules.

According to bylaw 14.5.6 in the NCAA transfer guide, Barnett as a 4-2-4 transfer (four-year institution, to a junior college, and back to a four-year institution), can be eligible one calendar year from the date of his transfer (either Sept. 28 or 29, depending on when the paperwork was filed) as long as he graduates with a GPA above 2.5 over an average of 12 hours per term at Palomar.

In 2017, Sept. 30 falls on a Saturday, so Barnett would just clear to play that game for whichever school he chooses.

http://247sports.com/Article/Alabam...-more-options-than-you-think-as-a-tr-47861580

When it was reported on Wednesday that Blake Barnett was transferring from Alabama, the former five-star and current backup quarterback for the national title favorites received plenty of backlash.

The assumption from fans, message boards and even national media was that the redshirt freshman would be losing the 2017 season of eligibility regardless of his transfer plans. So, why would he leave now, four games into an undefeated season? With a true freshman starter one hit away from injury, Barnett is still a critical piece of Alabama's championship equation and he's being painted as a quitter by critics.

But Barnett has a plan — and it looks a lot like something we’ve seen before in college basketball.

According to bylaw 14.5.6 in the NCAA transfer guide, Barnett as a 4-2-4 transfer (four-year institution, to a junior college, and back to a four-year institution), can be eligible one calendar year from the date of his transfer from Alabama so long as he graduates with a GPA above 2.5 over an average of 12 hours per term at the certifying institution of Barnett’s choosing.

That’s a situation that happens frequently pre- and post-semester. The timing of Barnett’s transfer is what makes him a possible trailblazer: He’d be eligible to play the conference schedule at his next destination.

247Sports reviewed the NCAA transfer guide on Thursday with an FBS compliance source who has first-hand experience and knowledge in placing players from JUCOs, military institutions and other four-year colleges.

“I’ve never seen this situation before first-hand,” the compliance source said. “Because it’s so rare for somebody to leave in the middle of the season.”

It's worth noting that every person we talk to has slightly different perspectives on the interpretation of this rule. One source with significant experience dealing in junior college transfers believed that Barnett would be eligible immediately in 2017 at a four-year program. Still another source that coaches in the junior college ranks felt that Barnett wouldn't be able to play at a four-year institution until the 2018 season.

The source who thinks Barnett might have all of 2017 available muses that by leaving Alabama now and arriving at a two-year institution with a mid-term date in mid-October, Barnett would be essentially wiping clean the fall of 2016 at Alabama from his academic record. Consequently, his midterm transfer to a two-year institution would allow him to retroactively start the clock to the beginning of the first semester, thus allowing him to be eligible for the 2017 season with three years remaining to fulfill three years of eligibility.

The FBS compliance source was dubious about that.

“I don’t think he’d be able to not miss any time next year,” they said.

If this works, one reason that this is a no-brainer move for Barnett is because he's a redshirt freshman that was an early enrollee out of high school. He’s ahead of the curve as far as getting his associate degree, which at most two-year schools requires 60 hours of credit. Barnett enrolled at Alabama in the spring of 2015 so he's had three full semesters and two summers (2015 and 2016) worth of college course work behind him. Even if his 2016 fall semester is wiped clean, he likely has an easy road to earning the necessary credits to qualify for another four-year college by the end of the spring, since those Alabama hours would be rolled up into credit for his associate degree.

The situation highlights the murkiness of the NCAA bylaws that will ultimately determine the future of one of the top quarterbacks in the class of 2015.

If Barnett's best case scenario unfolds, it could be a game-changer in college football — particularly at the quarterback position. We regularly see college coaches delay naming a starting quarterback in open competitions until the first game of the season. Sometimes the competition extends well into the season. That can be a tool used to limit the flexibility and motivation for a quarterback to transfer out.

Barnett is presenting a scenario that gives quarterbacks a counter, the opportunity to transfer to a different school and preserve eligibility even after the season has kicked off.

Twitter reacts to report of Blake Barnett transferring Start SlideShow

Barnett was ranked by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings as the No. 21 player in the country in the class of 2015 and the No. 2 pro-style quarterback, behind only Josh Rosen. In three games played this fall, Barnett has thrown for 219 yards on 11 of 19 passing with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

I
http://No links to . . . allowed on this site.com/Article/Texas-AM-others-reaching-out-to-Alabama-transfer-Blake-Barnett-48177776

No he isn't coming to SU but it just interesting that he transferred this year and may be able to play in 2017. May be the new loophole for QBs that lose out on the starting spot.

Former Alabama quarterback Blake Barnett has his new (temporary) home, and he’s already begun looking for his next one, too.

A source close to Barnett tells No links to . . . allowed on this site that he enrolled Thursday at Palomar Junior College in California, where he will attend school through the spring semester, which ends May 27. From there, Barnett, a class of 2015 five-star recruit per the No links to . . . allowed on this site Composite, will return to the FBS ranks of college football to play most of the 2017 season.

Texas A&M has already contacted Barnett directly, No links to . . . allowed on this site learned Tuesday — an intriguing subplot given the Aggies and Alabama share SEC West real estate.

RELATED: Why Texas A&M would be perfect for Barnett

Jeff Steinberg, who coached Barnett in high school, told No links to . . . allowed on this site in a separate conversation that Pac-12 schools Oregon, UCLA, Washington and Cal had spoken with him about his former pupil.

Michigan State, Miami and Florida have also expressed interest.

"I could see him narrowing it down fairly quickly," Steinberg said of Barnett's recruitment, "and trying to make a decision by Christmastime."

Now that Barnett is enrolled at Palomar, any college is free to speak to him, including SEC programs (players who transfer directly from one four-year institution to another are almost always barred from moving in-conference). As a 4-2-4 transfer, Alabama has no control of where Barnett ends up. It’s a massive loophole that No links to . . . allowed on this site reported on when Barnett first announced his intent to transfer.

The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Barnett signed with Alabama in the 2015 recruiting class over offers from the likes of Notre Dame, Michigan and Oregon. He ranked as the No. 2 pro-style passer in the land and No. 21 recruit overall per the No links to . . . allowed on this site Composite.

Barnett redshirted in 2015 and started the Crimson Tide’s season opener this year against USC, but was replaced by freshman Jalen Hurts after just two series. Barnett did appear in three games of the first four games for the top-ranked Crimson Tide, completing 11-of-19 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns before deciding to leave the program. His timing to do so along with enrolling at a JUCO allows him to be eligible next season at the school of his choosing. Had Barnett stayed in Tuscaloosa all season he would have had to sit out next fall per NCAA transfer rules.

According to bylaw 14.5.6 in the NCAA transfer guide, Barnett as a 4-2-4 transfer (four-year institution, to a junior college, and back to a four-year institution), can be eligible one calendar year from the date of his transfer (either Sept. 28 or 29, depending on when the paperwork was filed) as long as he graduates with a GPA above 2.5 over an average of 12 hours per term at Palomar.

In 2017, Sept. 30 falls on a Saturday, so Barnett would just clear to play that game for whichever school he chooses.
I love how a way to somewhat free up student athletes to change schools is called a lophole

Oh man, I drive through San Marcos on my drive home every night. Might have to drive around town and hope to see his girlfriend (google her).

Interesting. There are some grad QB's out there that are intriguing. I wonder what the staff thinks of Culpepper. The decision to grab a grad transfer or juco will be based off his progress. IMO

Interesting. There are some grad QB's out there that are intriguing. I wonder what the staff thinks of Culpepper. The decision to grab a grad transfer or juco will be based off his progress. IMO

Money, who are some grad QBs out there that you are thinking of? I would think we would want one no matter what, Dungey may not play again, and if he does, he is another hit away from not playing. Even if Rex looks good, and even if Dungey comes back, a grad transfer sounds good to me. DeVito has to redshirt...

Money, who are some grad QBs out there that you are thinking of? I would think we would want one no matter what, Dungey may not play again, and if he does, he is another hit away from not playing. Even if Rex looks good, and even if Dungey comes back, a grad transfer sounds good to me. DeVito has to redshirt...
Just posted my thoughts in 2017 QB thread.

Just posted my thoughts in 2017 QB thread.

thanks, as Kaiser mentioned after your post, would Bolin be able to come here, since it is within conference? I think it's a great idea if it can happen, but not sure if it can...

He's heading there, Zaire is looking at UNC and Wisconsin, Stidham going to the SEC. Hopefully in the next couple years we'll be a potential destination for the tip-top guys to take a closer look at.

He's heading there, Zaire is looking at UNC and Wisconsin, Stidham going to the SEC. Hopefully in the next couple years we'll be a potential destination for the tip-top guys to take a closer look at.
No thanks, not with this offense. I want us to keep bringing in our own QB's like DeVito and setting them up for more then a one and done that doesn't get the full offense.

No thanks, not with this offense. I want us to keep bringing in our own QB's like DeVito and setting them up for more then a one and done that doesn't get the full offense.

We've had 1 QB work out and 1 sort of currently working out in the last 20+ years. I'll gladly take as much competition from talented guys as possible. We're always enamored with whoever the next big thing is but it fails to work out more often than not. Jonny Miller was our last top 20 QB recruit and he ended up with more arrests than completions and he only was arrested once.

We've had 1 QB work out and 1 sort of currently working out in the last 20+ years. I'll gladly take as much competition from talented guys as possible. We're always enamored with whoever the next big thing is but it fails to work out more often than not. Jonny Miller was our last top 20 QB recruit and he ended up with more arrests than completions and he only was arrested once.
Dino knows QB's better than our other coaches, plus it only hurts us by randomly throwing some dude in for one year with half the offense.
Sure DeVito could be a misfire, but if we keep getting kids like him over and over we will not need to worry.
This offense is not friendly to one and done kids.

Dino knows QB's better than our other coaches, plus it only hurts us by randomly throwing some dude in for one year with half the offense.
Sure DeVito could be a misfire, but if we keep getting kids like him over and over we will not need to worry.
This offense is not friendly to one and done kids.

It was pretty damn friendly to Dungey and AET this year.

It was pretty damn friendly to Dungey and AET this year.
I only said QB, a lot easier for a WR to pick it up, Dungey did have a solid year and it will only get better that he is not a one and done graduate transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom