Class of 2015 - QB Chason Virgil (TX) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 QB Chason Virgil (TX)

Orange4

2nd String
Missippi State pulled his offer 16 days before he graduates. Eric White is now following him, 4 star recruit, January enrollee. Kid his caliber and his short timeframe for making a decision I'm guessing we probably offered.

Missippi State pulled his offer 16 days before he graduates. Eric White is now following him, 4 star recruit, January enrollee. Kid his caliber and his short timeframe for making a decision I'm guessing we probably offered.

I wonder what the circumstances are.

But I wouldn't look down my nose at a four star QB [I'm trying to repress the memory that both Cecil Howard / Perry Patterson were four star QBs...].

I wonder what the circumstances are.

But I wouldn't look down my nose at a four star QB [I'm trying to repress the memory that both Cecil Howard / Perry Patterson were four star QBs...].
Agree, don't know if we have a shot but I just thought it was interesting story and the fact that we are recruiting him now. And supposedly, Mullen asked him to gray shirt, not sure why you do that with a kid that caliber.

Very curious unless they have a higher ranked QB they are certain of getting.

Agree, don't know if we have a shot but I just thought it was interesting story and the fact that we are recruiting him now. And supposedly, Mullen asked him to gray shirt, not sure why you do that with a kid that caliber.

Maybe that's it. He asked him to Gray Shirt and the kid was opposed to it, so they pulled the schollie.

I saw that article and was going to post the same thing. If he's a fit for our offense going forward, we should be ALL OVER him.

this kid would be a huge addition. love his film. funny, in one clip he's in that pistol wishbone formation (40 sec mark). lester must be shtting himself :) then check out the pass. nice 40 yard touch on that beauty. Kid can run and throw AND plays in Texas. sign me up.

reading some of the texas newspaper articles they are pissed. the grayshirt thing is a joke - jan 2016 ? oh ok.

Last edited:
this kid would be a huge addition. i like his film a lot. funny, in one clip he's in that pistol wishbone formation (40 sec mark). lester must be shtting himself :) then check out the pass. nice 40 yard touch on that beauty. Kid can run and throw AND plays in Texas. sign me up.

reading some of the texas newspaper articles they are pissed. the grayshirt thing is a joke - jan 2016 ? oh ok.

I think he can early enroll for this class as well - another bonus.

Pretty amazing Mississippi St recruiting is going so well they could drop a kid of this caliber. I hate the whole pulling scholarship thing, but with that said i'd gladly take him

Is Mullen planning on Going to Florida ? Does He want him there when he jumps? Very strange.

Is Mullen planning on Going to Florida ? Does He want him there when he jumps? Very strange.
If he's planning to be an early enrollee that wouldn't matter unless he went the JUCO route. No way Mullen leaves Miss St mid-season.

If he's planning to be an early enrollee that wouldn't matter unless he went the JUCO route. No way Mullen leaves Miss St mid-season.
Grayshirt means not on scholarship. After bowl is set Mullen takes FLA job and offers Virgil then ? SEC has lots of shady deals. Cam Newton for instance.

Grayshirt means not on scholarship. After bowl is set Mullen takes FLA job and offers Virgil then ? SEC has lots of shady deals. Cam Newton for instance.

Mullen dropped him plain and simple. They decided they only wanted 1 quarterback, or their success this year has opened a door for a prospect they may not of had a shot at earlier. There is no hidden agenda, that's just how things work at football schools.

Mullen dropped him plain and simple. They decided they only wanted 1 quarterback, or their success this year has opened a door for a prospect they may not of had a shot at earlier. There is no hidden agenda, that's just how things work at football schools.
Your probably right , but I do see Mullen to FLA.

Your probably right , but I do see Mullen to FLA.

Ya I wouldn't be surprised by that, although that would be pretty late in the process for them to hire a coach, especially if they make the Final 4.

Then again I thought Foley ruled our Rich Rod, and Mullen?

Even if Mullen was going to Florida, look at what Virgil's head coach said. No way that kid plays with Mullen no matter where he ends up at.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...virgils-scholarship-16-days-before-graduation

Mississippi State Pulls QB Chason Virgil's Scholarship 16 Days Before Graduation
By Tyler Donohue, Featured Columnist Nov 21, 2014

The dream season for Mississippi State has reached a rocky stretch in recent days—on and off the field. Less than a week after losing to Alabama, the Bulldogs' recruiting tactics are under scrutiny in the wake of news that longtime quarterback commit Chason Virgil no longer holds a standard scholarship offer.
Jeff Neill, his head coach at West Mesquite High School in Texas, didn't hold back while acknowledging the development on Twitter on Thursday night:
According to Neill, the team reached out to let Virgil know he didn't fit in their immediate plans anymore. To make matters worse, the 3-star passer expected to enroll early at Mississippi State by graduating from high school next month.
"Mississippi State called to let me know that they no longer had a scholarship available," Neill told Devin Hasson of Star Local Media. "They pushed him to graduate early...because they wanted him to go through the spring, and then at the last minute, Mississippi State decided to change their offer."
Rather than arriving on campus as a fully covered student-athlete as planned, Virgil was asked to accept grayshirt status. This would have left him off scholarship until at least January 2016, an alteration that led Virgil and the Bulldogs to part ways.
"Just knowing that I am graduating early in a month, it is hard to just sit out a whole year without playing and being in a program," Virgil told Paul Jones of 247Sports. "So I have to start over now. I haven't talked to any other schools in a while so I just have to see what happens."
Virgil, rated 19th nationally among pro-style quarterbacks in 247Sports' composite rankings, committed to Mississippi State in May. His frustration is understandable given an extremely late change of heart from head coach Dan Mullen and the Bulldogs staff.
"(They said) they had four quarterbacks there already and they felt it was not a position of need at this time," Neill said. "He doesn't want to play for a coach that is going to make these kinds of decisions. Going to any college, you want to have a coach you can trust and believe in."
Those comments are certainly a shot across the bow for Mullen, who has seen his stock rise nationally during a historically successful tenure in Starkville. He is the first Mississippi State coach to qualify for five straight bowl appearances and currently has his program in position to compete in the inaugural College Football Playoff.
Victories have translated into improved recruiting efforts. The Bulldogs' 2015 class currently rates 13th nationally in 247Sports' composite rankings. For the first time in six months, it no longer features the Texas quarterback.
Virgil, who has 2,361 passing yards and 35 touchdowns this season, previously considered offers from the likes of Florida, Nebraska, Clemson and Missouri. It remains to be seen which teams will still express interest as most have filled quarterback slots in this recruiting class.
He maintained popularity among fellow Mississippi State commits throughout his recruitment and undoubtedly formed relationships with players across the country who he considered future collegiate teammates.
"He's definitely a playmaker," Mississippi State wide receiver pledge Justin Johnson told me this summer. "We've got a lot of guys coming in that will help the offense continue to grow and he's a big part of that."
It should be interesting to see how Bulldogs recruits react to this news and how members of the Mississippi State staff handle questions related to the issue. So far, we only understand the story from one point of view and it doesn't paint a very flattering picture of America's surprise title contender.

And he is following White back and also Petrino.

Any significant interest from his side here or is it a dream that I need to wake up from?
13592973183_53761faf6a_z.jpg

It's a shame for this kid and, whther or not he considers Cuse, I hope guys start seeing some of these shady coaches for what they are. I'm sure Mullen is a slick saleman and promises these kids the world but the veil on him is paper thin if you stop and actually look. Shame the recruiting sites only now list the 20 some kids per year that signed with MSU rather than the 30+ commits they've taken most years and all the offers they ended pulling from commits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom