QB Containment | Syracusefan.com

QB Containment

Orangejet

Suds Peddlar
Had to be one of the worse displays of containment ever seen in the Dome. First rule of thumb for a DE or OLB is to make QB run the inside lanes so the DT's or ILB's can smash him. What went on last night and enough of the constant blitzing. Can't imagine how many yards a QB like Johnny Manziel or Michael Vick would have gained last night...300?

Last edited:
I had the same thoughts with what I was able to see of last night's game.
Seems like we saw a lot of the same thing last year - running quarterbacks (even quarterbacks not know for being runners) chewing up yards on our defense because don't contain them on the outside.
You'd think that's something they would have worked on for this year.
Be interesting to see the stats as to how many times the opposing QB was their teams leading rusher.

Maybe instead of sending blitzers every time when you know the QB is just going to run and that's the only way they can beat you, you take a would be blitzer and make him a QB spy.

Maybe instead of sending blitzers every time when you know the QB is just going to run and that's the only way they can beat you, you take a would be blitzer and make him a QB spy.
The blitzing wasn't the issue as much as commitment to lanes/containment. This was also an issue on the punt return. We were over pursuing like crazy.

The blitzing wasn't the issue as much as commitment to lanes/containment. This was also an issue on the punt return. We were over pursuing like crazy.
But it is an issue when no one can execute it all game. I have no clue how we literally couldn't figure out how to stop over pursuing. That was one of the more ridiculous games I have ever watched. That game was right up there with Ga Tech in terms of a complete disaster defensively.

They need to be doing something different than what they were doing last night.
A lot of the plays I saw, the defense were are crashing to the inside and the 'Nova O-line seemed more than willing to let them and then took away the ability for them to get outside when Robertson took off.
Really kept wondering why SU didn't keep one or 2 guys to the outside to prevent Robertson from getting outside on them time after time.

Someone whiffed badly on a tackle on that special teams td. It was really pathetic

But it is an issue when no one can execute it all game. I have no clue how we literally couldn't figure out how to stop over pursuing. That was one of the more ridiculous games I have ever watched. That game was right up there with Ga Tech in terms of a complete disaster defensively.
That's the game I was thinking of from last year - last night was like deja vu all over again.

I kept hearing my PeeWee football coach yell, "stay home, stay home!!!".

Winning 27-26 does not remind me of losing 0-56.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom