Class of 2015 - QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article from 2012 on Dungey that I thought was interesting...sorry if it was already posted.

Eric Dungey Of Lakeridge Top 2015 Prospect Making Noise
by Dirk Knudsen | Posted on Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012

It seems like every year we just get started getting to know the best Seniors and Juniors when a few upstart Sophomores come out and steal the headlines. One of the guys that illustrates that best is 6'3"-190 pound Eric Dungey of Lakeridge High School in Lake Oswego, Oregon. The 2015 gunslinger has a cannon for an arm and is sure not afraid to use it.
Under legendary Head Coach Tom Smythe Eric has been encouraged to spread the field and moves the ball quickly. And boy can he do just that.
The Pacers started out all right with a win over Eastlake of Seattle but have dropped 4 straight since then and things are not going to get much easier in the always tough Three Rivers League.
But young Dungey is showcasing a big arm and some great wheels so far:
  • 1022 yards passing on 61.7% completion
  • 11 TD's / 6 Ints
  • 48 Rushing attempts
  • 402 yards Rushing and 6 TD's
  • That is 1,424 yards and 17 TD's on a half season
Great numbers by any standard. And yes he can work on his accuracy and his reads. Something he is very serious about.
"We are always working on things. If there is not a practice I just grab some of the guys and go to the field and throw. I attend Barton Football in the off season as well which has helped," said Dungey.
He considers his leadership his primary skill on the field and is happy with the command he has developed of Coach Smythe's No Huddle Shotgun Spread offense.
"I make the reads and make adjustments and call audibles too. And I am getting the hang of it pretty well," said the QB who started 3 games late in his Freshmen year for the varsity.
Dungey and the Pacers were on the other side of the field when Thomas Tyner went for 644 yards and 10 td's. And even though he had 6 TD's of his own (threw for 4 and ran for 2 posting 440 yards total) he was in awe of Tyner.
"That is the best athlete I have ever seen. We simply could not stop him," he said. "I wish we could have but we could not. He is amazing."
Now Dungey is quite an athlete himself. He plays basketball and loves to throw down the dunks. Something he says he is good at. And this year he will do Track in the Spring competing as a Jumper and in the 400 meters.
So we had to ask. As hot as he is for such a young guy where does he want to be heading when football at Lakeridge is over?
"The Pac 12 would be great. If not somewhere like Duke back East that has a good academic program and where I can make a name for myself."
What if he grows and can put those hops to work as a receiver or tight end?
"I am staying on the QB path. But if that was a better option you bet I would give it a shot," he concluded.
Eric Dungey is going to get those chances no doubt. If he keeps progressing like this anything is possible.

CuseLegacy said:
I found this article from 2012 on Dungey that I thought was interesting...sorry if it was already posted. Eric Dungey Of Lakeridge Top 2015 Prospect Making Noise by Dirk Knudsen | Posted on Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 http://www.northwestprepreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Eric-Dungey-405.jpg It seems like every year we just get started getting to know the best Seniors and Juniors when a few upstart Sophomores come out and steal the headlines. One of the guys that illustrates that best is 6'3"-190 pound Eric Dungey of Lakeridge High School in Lake Oswego, Oregon. The 2015 gunslinger has a cannon for an arm and is sure not afraid to use it. Under legendary Head Coach Tom Smythe Eric has been encouraged to spread the field and moves the ball quickly. And boy can he do just that. The Pacers started out all right with a win over Eastlake of Seattle but have dropped 4 straight since then and things are not going to get much easier in the always tough Three Rivers League. But young Dungey is showcasing a big arm and some great wheels so far: [*]1022 yards passing on 61.7% completion [*]11 TD's / 6 Ints [*]48 Rushing attempts [*]402 yards Rushing and 6 TD's [*]That is 1,424 yards and 17 TD's on a half season Great numbers by any standard. And yes he can work on his accuracy and his reads. Something he is very serious about. "We are always working on things. If there is not a practice I just grab some of the guys and go to the field and throw. I attend Barton Football in the off season as well which has helped," said Dungey. He considers his leadership his primary skill on the field and is happy with the command he has developed of Coach Smythe's No Huddle Shotgun Spread offense. "I make the reads and make adjustments and call audibles too. And I am getting the hang of it pretty well," said the QB who started 3 games late in his Freshmen year for the varsity. Dungey and the Pacers were on the other side of the field when Thomas Tyner went for 644 yards and 10 td's. And even though he had 6 TD's of his own (threw for 4 and ran for 2 posting 440 yards total) he was in awe of Tyner. "That is the best athlete I have ever seen. We simply could not stop him," he said. "I wish we could have but we could not. He is amazing." Now Dungey is quite an athlete himself. He plays basketball and loves to throw down the dunks. Something he says he is good at. And this year he will do Track in the Spring competing as a Jumper and in the 400 meters. So we had to ask. As hot as he is for such a young guy where does he want to be heading when football at Lakeridge is over? "The Pac 12 would be great. If not somewhere like Duke back East that has a good academic program and where I can make a name for myself." What if he grows and can put those hops to work as a receiver or tight end? "I am staying on the QB path. But if that was a better option you bet I would give it a shot," he concluded. Eric Dungey is going to get those chances no doubt. If he keeps progressing like this anything is possible.

Syracuse fits the bill, Eric. And we have playing time.

The kid looks good on film and on paper. We need to catch a break in recruiting. A "Steal" from the left coast would do the trick.

This kid reminds me of a poor man's Sonny Abramson. Not saying he's not as good, just saying there isn't the same buzz about him. He doesn't throw as nice of a ball as Sonny, and probably doesn't have the same arm strength but it definitely couldn't hurt adding him to the 2015 class. If he ever gets his throwing steps and mechanics down he looks like he could be something special.

Per ESPN last month - Top Offensive Players still available - Dungey is in the top 5 for available QBs. His ESPN rank is No. 22 QB

Within the first 1:40 the video specifically singles Dungey out…

”who stands out to you on this list?”

“Eric Dungey, I think this guy is, he’s a sleeper type prospect, he’s the, this is gonna sound, but he’s the poor man’s version of Blake Barnett on the West Coast, he’s just not as physically developed, very similar skill set.”

Blake Barnett is the 4* 6.0 rated QB headed to Alabama

http://once.unicornmedia.com/now/od...712870&UMADPARAMcsid=espntablet:general:video

Last edited:
Per ESPN last month - Top Offensive Players still available

Quaterbacks: Dungey’s rank No. 22 QB

The video singles Dungey out…

“Eric Dungey, I think this guy is, he’s a sleeper type prospect, he’s the, this is gonna sound, but he’s the poor man’s version of Blake Barnett on the West Coast, he’s just not as physically developed, very similar skill set.”

http://once.unicornmedia.com/now/od...712870&UMADPARAMcsid=espntablet:general:video

Good find, Phat.

Per ESPN last month - Top Offensive Players still available - Quaterbacks: Dungey’s rank No. 22

Within the first 1:40 the video specifically singles Dungey out…

Thats a great find. I respect Luginbill evaluations. And After watching his film more thoroughly, I like him alot.

Have to think a midweek visit means we are putting the full court press on and want a commitment ASAP.

IMO, also says to me that the coaching staff isn't sold on any number of the QB's we have on scholarship now.

Have to think a midweek visit means we are putting the full court press on and want a commitment ASAP.

IMO, also says to me that the coaching staff isn't sold on any number of the QB's we have on scholarship now.

Understandable. They've all showns signs of being good / glaring limitations. And who knows what the extent of Long's nerve injury is.

SUFan44 said:

I think you try to get the best qb you can get in each class. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't like any of the qbs we have on the roster. It's not the NFL. We only get them for 4 (5) years. Coach Mac recruited Philcox, but it didn't mean he thought he was better than Donnie Mc.

I think you try to get the best qb you can get in each class. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't like any of the qbs we have on the roster. It's not the NFL. We only get them for 4 (5) years. Coach Mac recruited Philcox, but it didn't mean he thought he was better than Donnie Mc.

that's exactly right. had we brought in 2 last year like we wanted they likely would not be bringing in one this season. QB recruiting really only opened up when AE decided to stay home. they're not counting on him coming in January.

we're gearing up for a 2016 QB, it has nothing to do with what's currently on our roster now or will be on the roster in August. need to take one every year. when you're roster short you take 2.

that's exactly right. had we brought in 2 last year like we wanted they likely would not be bringing in one this season. QB recruiting really only opened up when AE decided to stay home. they're not counting on him coming in January.

we're gearing up for a 2016 QB, it has nothing to do with what's currently on our roster now or will be on the roster in August. need to take one every year. when you're roster short you take 2.

Damn straight.

Any idea if this kid is a potential january enrollee? That might explain the immediacy of the visit from the kid's family standpoint.

Just tossing that out there--I know we want to get as many in for January as possible, to capitalize on the extra capability to backfill scholarships / charge them to last year's class.

Any idea if this kid is a potential january enrollee? That might explain the immediacy of the visit from the kid's family standpoint.

Just tossing that out there--I know we want to get as many in for January as possible, to capitalize on the extra capability to backfill scholarships / charge them to last year's class.

i wondered that to. the midweek visit is weird.

Last edited:

The AE thing is the other possibility I did not mention but thought about.

But if he does come, that puts us at 6 QBs for next year on the roster. That's too many in my opinion.

But if he does come, that puts us at 6 QBs for next year on the roster. That's too many in my opinion.

It is too many. And IMO AJ isn't getting switched to a different position and if AE does make it I highly doubt he's coming in at a different position. So kind of sounds like we can expect a transfer out if AE shows up and we sit at 6. Nice thing is that if Dungey does commit and is an early enrollee, it will shake itself out this spring.

6 is too many, but until someone steps up the more the merrier.

if you follow lacrosse its the same as our faceoff situation. we've got about 10 FO guys for this spring and more on the way.

6 is too many, but until someone steps up the more the merrier.

if you follow lacrosse its the same as our faceoff situation. we've got about 10 FO guys for this spring and more on the way.

I agree, no one has shown that they can take and hold the top spot here.

And again I agree, the lax team is in the same boat in mho. 10 FO guys with more on the way because it is STILL a weak spot and no one can run away as a true FO artist. Always kills me to see smaller FO men beat us, smdh...

Damn straight.

I believe the kid mentioned enrolling in January is possible, but is still being discussed as home. I agree, definitely would be a good reason for the midweek, immediate visit. Hope he got/gets in safely today and loves SU!

It is too many. And IMO AJ isn't getting switched to a different position and if AE does make it I highly doubt he's coming in at a different position. So kind of sounds like we can expect a transfer out if AE shows up and we sit at 6. Nice thing is that if Dungey does commit and is an early enrollee, it will shake itself out this spring.

It is too many, but I think that should tell you how the staff feels about the guys we have on board. I am totally fine with them bringing in Dungey, Edouard, and Hale if he wants to commit. It will send a message to a couple of the kids here, but I think we all realize this is a business. I know I wouldn't be too confident going into next year with what we have now.

Fwiw I like Dungey's film the best of all. Has the size, speed, and arm.

It is too many, but I think that should tell you how the staff feels about the guys we have on board. I am totally fine with them bringing in Dungey, Edouard, and Hale if he wants to commit. It will send a message to a couple of the kids here, but I think we all realize this is a business. I know I wouldn't be too confident going into next year with what we have now.

Do we like our chances

Concerning QB's on the roster, I have not heard anyone mention the possibility of Hunt not being invited back for his 5th year. He is not guaranteed a 5th year. I think we can expect one of the freshman redshirts not coming back and Hunt not being invited back, that leaves us with 2 scholarship QB's still on the roster add Edouard and a recruit this year, and that leaves us with a more manageable 4 QB's. Hunt was not playing well and missed the bulk of the year, why have him back next year?

Do we like our chances

Not sure, but if the kid is coming up so quick I wouldn't be surprised if he committed on his visit.

I'm interested to see what they do with all these qb's, including Hale. Edouard re-took his ACT in October. Starting to wonder if results weren't as good as expected?

If we have to take 10 QB's on in order to find one top flight ACC QB, so be it. Enough's enough as far as I'm concerned. We're 6 years in to the rebuild between Marrone and Shafer and Nassib is the only QB we've had that in my opinion would have been considered a top half of the ACC type talent during his JR/SR years. And he was recruited by GRob!

If we have to throw a pile of QB's against the wall and hope one sticks, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.