Class of 2015 - QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont worry before singing day im sure a lot of the schools you mentioned ie Colorado, Colorado State, Boise, etc etc will likely come calling. Going to need to keep recruiting this young man all the way through signing day.
Let's be positive for a moment. New IPF, opportunity for almost immediate playing time, well-liked coaching staff, big time schedule, talent level trending upward, great hoops for the offseason, good overall AD, solid education.

Let's be positive for a moment. New IPF, opportunity for almost immediate playing time, well-liked coaching staff, big time schedule, talent level trending upward, great hoops for the offseason, good overall AD, solid education.

so refreshing being positive! Thanks!

Not sure I follow how that post was negative? The kid is from Oregon and usually when Syracuse gets a commit from a player way out of its geographic zone that said player usually gets additional offers once other schools in that area get wind of the commitment and realize they may have overlooked said player.

I fully expect additional schools to offer and we will need to keep recruiting him hard to keep that committment. You listed a lot of positives for Syracuse but I dont think the AD, hoops or the eductation (kid was offered by the Ivy's) really is going to play a role.

Not sure I follow how that post was negative? The kid is from Oregon and usually when Syracuse gets a commit from a player way out of its geographic zone that said player usually gets additional offers once other schools in that area get wind of the commitment and realize they may have overlooked said player.

I fully expect additional schools to offer and we will need to keep recruiting him hard to keep that committment. You listed a lot of positives for Syracuse but I dont think the AD, hoops or the eductation (kid was offered by the Ivy's) really is going to play a role.
We just got a commit, and we have a lot to sell. I'm not concerned about programs such as the ones you cited suddenly jumping onto the wagon and causing problems. Let's not seem insecure about commits.

Education will play a role, IMO. Why is a kid who was offered by the Ivies going to pick Boise State, or Colorado State?

We just got a commit, and we have a lot to sell. I'm not concerned about programs such as the ones you cited suddenly jumping onto the wagon and causing problems. Let's not seem insecure about commits.

Education will play a role, IMO. Why is a kid who was offered by the Ivies going to pick Boise State, or Colorado State?

Who said anything about being concerned? I simply agreed with another poster who thought it was odd he had no other big time offers from other BCS schools out in that area.

My feeling is that an offer from Syracuse will definitely open up some eyes now and that he will get a lot more attention. As someone who has been on this board as long as you have you know how things like this usually play out, a couple schools closer to his home will look more into him and most likely offer. Dont know if it will affect his commitment or not but hopefully it won't and we can ge his LOI in February.

Lastly I dont think its being insecure to suggest we will need to keep recuriting this kid if a program near him offers when your talking about a kid from across the country who has zero connections to upstate NY, its called being realistic especially coming off a 3-9 season.

Who said anything about being concerned? I simply agreed with another poster who thought it was odd he had no other big time offers from other BCS schools out in that area.

My feeling is that an offer from Syracuse will definitely open up some eyes now and that he will get a lot more attention. As someone who has been on this board as long as you have you know how things like this usually play out, a couple schools closer to his home will look more into him and most likely offer. Dont know if it will affect his commitment or not but hopefully it won't and we can ge his LOI in February.

Lastly I dont think its being insecure to suggest we will need to keep recuriting this kid if a program near him offers when your talking about a kid from across the country who has zero connections to upstate NY, its called being realistic especially coming off a 3-9 season.

I agree for the most part - but I think you're underestimating two things:

- The reputation of Syracuse academics
- The chance to play at a P5 school

Well he'd be guaranteed to graduate as Valedictorian at Boise State, should that be of interest to him.

I agree for the most part - but I think you're underestimating two things:

- The reputation of Syracuse academics
- The chance to play at a P5 school

Oh I agree that Syracuse is very good acadameically and that being a p5 school we offer an opportunity that is very very limited to most Highschool QB's. My point was that I believe he picked SU for the chance to play QB (maybe very early in his career) and to play at Power 5 school who plays a national schedule. Obviously im guessing but I didn't get the feeling academics really played that large a role nor do I think if an Oregon State or a similar school out his way offered would there lack of academics play a huge role.

Oh I agree that Syracuse is very good acadameically and that being a p5 school we offer an opportunity that is very very limited to most Highschool QB's. My point was that I believe he picked SU for the chance to play QB (maybe very early in his career) and to play at Power 5 school who plays a national schedule. Obviously im guessing but I didn't get the feeling academics really played that large a role nor do I think if an Oregon State or a similar school out his way offered would there lack of academics play a huge role.

He was quoted as saying that he wanted to play close to home or if a p5 school like Duke with great academics offered, he'd move across country. Plus if you're good enough to Ivy offers, academics matter to someone (prob him or his parents - or both).

I agree on Oregon State or Col offer, it might be trouble. But Boise or another non-p5 with so-so academics? If he liked those schools he would have committed already. We offered recently and he flew out and then committed. I think he jumped at the offer.

Crusty, according to your responses in Chason's thread we have no chance with Chason.
I don't think we do. He is a Texas kid and if he has other options in the South he will most likely go there. If he is the real deal he will have other options. I would guess that probably Clemson and others are on his doorstep as we speak.

Very nice job by Lester. Will be interesting to see if Hale still visits and everyone else sticks.
Hale is apparently a BB recruit as well. Do we know which one he wants to play?

Awesome good get...Hope we hold on to him could be the real deal and we need a real deal QB because we currently don't have one on our roster...

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ic_dungey_i_just_fell_in_love_with_su_on.html

Syracuse football quarterback commit Eric Dungey: 'I just fell in love with' SU on visit
16420291-mmmain.jpg

Eric Dungey, a 2015 quarterback from Lakeridge (Lake Oswego, Ore.) High School, announced his verbal commitment to Syracuse on Sunday. (Mike Richman/The Oregonian)
Print
By Stephen Bailey | sbailey@syracuse.com The Post-Standard
Follow on Twitter
on November 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM, updated November 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Reddit
Email

Syracuse, N.Y. — Eric Dungey and Tim Lester hit it off right away when the Lakeridge (Lake Oswego, Ore.) High School senior quarterback and Syracuse offensive coordinator sat down together two weeks ago on Lester's visit.
The two discussed Dungey's scholarship offer, playing quarterback in college and the future of the Orange's offense. Forty-five minutes later, the conversation was over and Dungey was already looking into his official visit.
"I just kind of wanted to make a decision as soon as possible," Dungey said over the phone on Monday afternoon. "I was very grateful that they took me. I literally called and asked, and they had the plane ticket the next day."
Dungey, who announced his verbal commitment on Sunday, visited Syracuse last week and called the school a "perfect" fit. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound signal-caller is the Orange's only quarterback pledge in the 2015 class and could be one of six quarterbacks in preseason camp next summer.
Terrel Hunt, AJ Long, Austin Wilson and Mitch Kimble are all eligible to return and Alin Edouard is expected to arrive in January.
"I went to visit and i just fell in love with it," Dungey said. "I just felt really comfortable there. They have a great plan for the future."
Dungey is ranked three stars by the major recruiting services and is widely considered the best quarterback prospect from Oregon in his class. He chose Syracuse over Wyoming, Yale and Harvard, among other offers, and threw for 2,217 yards, 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions this season, according to OregonLive.com.
Dungey also rushed for 868 yards and 14 scores.
"He could be a Division I safety," Lakeridge head coach John Parke said of Dungey's athleticism. "I think he's the second-fastest kid on the team."
Dungey said his visit to Syracuse made his decision to commit an easy one. In addition to spending more time with Lester — whom he described as the most personable coach who recruited him — and meeting head coach Scott Shafer, Dungey toured campus and met current SU players.
Hunt, the redshirt junior who had his season cut short in early October due to a fractured fibula, spent "eight to 10 hours" with Dungey, talking about the program and school.
"I got along with him really well," Dungey said. "He's a great guy. He's motivated and he's just a good guy to be around. I'm excited to learn from him."
Dungey made his decision to commit to Syracuse before this weekend, he said, but wanted to inform recruiters from his other suitors of his decision before making it public.
Now, the three-sport athlete turns his focus to basketball and baseball before he arrives in Syracuse next summer. Dungey said he'll keep working on his footwork and drops until then, and is excited to compete come preseason camp.
"I'm going to compete no matter what," Dungey said. "Whatever happens, happens."
Dungey said he is fully committed to Syracuse, though his verbal pledge is non-binding until he signs a letter of intent in February.

If Dungey sticks and Edouard actually shows up in January as he keeps saying, gives us 6 QBs for 2015. Anyone think that we lose one? Kimble and Wilson would have to see the writing on the wall. When you are 5th or 6th on the depth chart, you can stick for the degree or move on and getting a shot at some playing time.

If Dungey sticks and Edouard actually shows up in January as he keeps saying, gives us 6 QBs for 2015. Anyone think that we lose one? Kimble and Wilson would have to see the writing on the wall. When you are 5th or 6th on the depth chart, you can stick for the degree or move on and getting a shot at some playing time.
Positional changes may be an option. I just don't know to which position. Holder?

Dungey and Edouard can red shirt.The following year Hunt will graduate. I think Wilson will transfer as he is the only pro-style on the roster.

Actually it would be 7 if Hale commits but that is not going to happen as one of the QBs is likely to transfer.

I'm always a bit angry when the coaches site this "plan" they have for turning things around, as if the "plan" in place currently was to be terrible and then miraculously make strides. Just freaking coach smart and figure out how to keep guys somewhat healthier. Schedule a bit easier and bam, plan becomes successful!

QB is the single most important position in football, and maybe all of sports. When you can't seem to find or develop effective talent, you HAVE to bring in 1-2 QBs recruits every year, let them compete, play the best, and then let "natural" attrition take its course (transfers, change in positions, graduation, injuries). We will not have to worry about having 5-6 QBs on the roster; it just won't happen.

jr4750 said:
I'm always a bit angry when the coaches site this "plan" they have for turning things around, as if the "plan" in place currently was to be terrible and then miraculously make strides. Just freaking coach smart and figure out how to keep guys somewhat healthier. Schedule a bit easier and bam, plan becomes successful!

I agree with your overall point - but I think the "plan" Lester was sharing was likely what his offense would look like installed.

I"m completely lost when I watch these HS highlight reels of players. So please indulge me, and school me if necessary, so I can better understand what some of you folks are seeing in these films.

IMvHO (v = very), I see a QB who appears elusive in the pocket, can run, and also throw a ball while moving out of the pocket. However, a lot his throws seemed to be a matter of the receiver being aware of the ball and the lack of speed from the cover. There were some throws that were in stride with the receiver, which is always encouraging, but other throws just seem that the DB wasn't aware where the ball was.

I just get so very confused when I watch these highlights. I watched the HUDL highlights of our current QB's and they look fantastic. Yet. Well, you know.

What am I supposed to look for in these highlights to understand what will translate into DI NCAA football? I want to be excited about these recruits but I just can't interpret the HUDL/HS highlight reels.

I"m completely lost when I watch these HS highlight reels of players. So please indulge me, and school me if necessary, so I can better understand what some of you folks are seeing in these films.

IMvHO (v = very), I see a QB who appears elusive in the pocket, can run, and also throw a ball while moving out of the pocket. However, a lot his throws seemed to be a matter of the receiver being aware of the ball and the lack of speed from the cover. There were some throws that were in stride with the receiver, which is always encouraging, but other throws just seem that the DB wasn't aware where the ball was.

I just get so very confused when I watch these highlights. I watched the HUDL highlights of our current QB's and they look fantastic. Yet. Well, you know.

What am I supposed to look for in these highlights to understand what will translate into DI NCAA football? I want to be excited about these recruits but I just can't interpret the HUDL/HS highlight reels.

If you watch highlights of a prospect and it doesn't look like he is a potential 1st round pick, then something is wrong.

Highlights are highlights. The only thing you can take from them are mechanics and tools (and in football, tools are harder to identify due to varying levels of competition, at least for me)

Dungey is a solid prospect due to size and athleticism. Arm strength is a question mark (but you don't see the 6'5" pro style QB's w/ bazookas anymore) With that said, he is a redshirt IMO. Oregon HS football to ACC is a massive transition. Battle for QB next year is b/w Hunt, Long and Edouard.

Status
Not open for further replies.