Status
Not open for further replies.

• 6:42 PM - 23 Nov 2014
    Cindy Garbo Dungey ‏@MamaDoneGee Nov 23
    So excited for my boy. QB commit to Syracuse University. #GoOrange
    1f499.png
    1f34a.png
    pic.twitter.com/mGnVknCTLJ
Gotta love when Mom likes the school choice.

Any concern over Oregon St. hiring Gary Anderson from Wisconsin here? Doesn't look like Wisconsin was ever involved, but something to monitor.

I"m completely lost when I watch these HS highlight reels of players. So please indulge me, and school me if necessary, so I can better understand what some of you folks are seeing in these films.

IMvHO (v = very), I see a QB who appears elusive in the pocket, can run, and also throw a ball while moving out of the pocket. However, a lot his throws seemed to be a matter of the receiver being aware of the ball and the lack of speed from the cover. There were some throws that were in stride with the receiver, which is always encouraging, but other throws just seem that the DB wasn't aware where the ball was.

I just get so very confused when I watch these highlights. I watched the HUDL highlights of our current QB's and they look fantastic. Yet. Well, you know.

What am I supposed to look for in these highlights to understand what will translate into DI NCAA football? I want to be excited about these recruits but I just can't interpret the HUDL/HS highlight reels.
Because you're watching them in a vacuum. Talent evaluation is a comparative analysis. How does a player compare to others. As SU fans we can convince ourselves almost any player we get a verbal from has the skills to be great. Its hopeful thinking without really knowing how his skills match up to others. Insight can be garnered by seeing who's recruiting him and who he has offers from. Suffice it to say that dozens of coaches and colleges who are the true professionals have given us all insight into his talent by seeing what colleges have offered him and who hasn't. Has that permanently written his talent in stone. No. Because while human physical performance isn't etched permanently on him there is a statistical relevance over time. Could he be the next coming of Peyton Manning? Possibly but not probably. Recruiting analysis by fans has a lot of little bits of information to determine who more than likely will contribute to winning and a top 25 team. Watch who the good QBs are and compare them to our recruits. It will help in the long run when you can compare who others are getting to whom SU is getting. Attached is a video of a few QBs who are going to Arizona St. and Washington, both colleges I think we should be recruiting level of talent at SU. Compare Brady White and Josh Browning and you can see why they might be better recruits at this point.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1893707/highlights/69414395
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1212916/highlights/129273383

I know how he feels. Snuck my boy home from his Navy obligation the Saturday before Christmas. He got home at 11:30 PM. I snuck him upstairs, and nudged my wife awake. When she sleepyly asked what I wanted, I told her that her Christmas present was there early.
The look on her face and their tears of joy and loving embrace were the best Christmas present I ever gave, or received.

I know how he feels. Snuck my boy home from his Navy obligation the Saturday before Christmas. He got home at 11:30 PM. I snuck him upstairs, and nudged my wife awake. When she sleepyly asked what I wanted, I told her that her Christmas present was there early.
The look on her face and their tears of joy and loving embrace were the best Christmas present I ever gave, or received.
I never get tired of hearing stories like this!

Capt. Tuttle said:
I know how he feels. Snuck my boy home from his Navy obligation the Saturday before Christmas. He got home at 11:30 PM. I snuck him upstairs, and nudged my wife awake. When she sleepyly asked what I wanted, I told her that her Christmas present was there early. The look on her face and their tears of joy and loving embrace were the best Christmas present I ever gave, or received.

You're a good man Charlie Brown.

Hey Everyone - I took a look at what Syracuse Football is getting with the only QB commit of the 2015 class - QB Eric Dungey. Take a read here:

http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-qb-eric-dungey/

Hey Everyone - I took a look at what Syracuse Football is getting with the only QB commit of the 2015 class - QB Eric Dungey. Take a read here:

http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-qb-eric-dungey/
Very interesting and encouraging analysis. Add to all of it that he is smart and I dream of a Ryan Nassib that can run!
Thanks JB

Great work, as always, JB. My one thought regarding this: "Here’s hoping there aren’t any PAC-12 schools that come calling at the last minute, because Eric could be in some serious contention to start after a redshirt freshmen year at Syracuse University."

Yes, I get that it'd be nice to play in your time zone, closer to family and friends, but if I'm Dungey, and I say this without looking at other PAC-12 QB situations, Syracuse presents a real nice opportunity to play early as you say. Hunt has one more year and isn't exactly McNabb out there, and then after that you have Austin Wilson and AJ Long, neither of which showed enough "flash" to say to yourself, "wow, i feel comfortable at the QB position going forward". So even if the PAC-12 comes a calling, I think Syracuse fits his academic and P-5 mold and route to playing time better than they would.

Not loving bringing this up but I do wonder if Zach Allen is happy playing (sitting) on the national stage where he appears to have been recruited over or if he'd be happier with a legit chance to play here. Or elsewhere.

Great work, as always, JB. My one thought regarding this: "Here’s hoping there aren’t any PAC-12 schools that come calling at the last minute, because Eric could be in some serious contention to start after a redshirt freshmen year at Syracuse University."

Yes, I get that it'd be nice to play in your time zone, closer to family and friends, but if I'm Dungey, and I say this without looking at other PAC-12 QB situations, Syracuse presents a real nice opportunity to play early as you say. Hunt has one more year and isn't exactly McNabb out there, and then after that you have Austin Wilson and AJ Long, neither of which showed enough "flash" to say to yourself, "wow, i feel comfortable at the QB position going forward". So even if the PAC-12 comes a calling, I think Syracuse fits his academic and P-5 mold and route to playing time better than they would.

Not loving bringing this up but I do wonder if Zach Allen is happy playing (sitting) on the national stage where he appears to have been recruited over or if he'd be happier with a legit chance to play here. Or elsewhere.
Zach Allen isn't riding the bench. He's living the dream as the holder on extra points and field goals! :) I saw him out there this season when I watched TCU games...

Recruited over? He's 3rd string, and a redshirt Freshman? He is behind Trevone Boynkin who finished 4th for the Heisman trophy, and a 5th year grad transfer from Texas A&M. Allen will get his chance eventually.

Recruited over? He's 3rd string, and a redshirt Freshman? He is behind Trevone Boynkin who finished 4th for the Heisman trophy, and a 5th year grad transfer from Texas A&M. Allen will get his chance eventually.

Yep, he was recruited over by a kid named Foster Sawyer who red-shirted this year. Based on HS achievements and rankings and offers, it appears to me that Mr Allen will have a very tough time winning the job over Mr Sawyer once Boynkin leaves after next season.

From TCU's website:

High School:
Four-star signee who was ranked by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. as the No. 2 quarterback prospect in Texas and No. 13 nationally ... the No. 31 prospect in the At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. Texas Top 100 ... also ranked No. 213 in the country in the At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. Top 300 ... named the 2013 Star-Telegram Player of the Year for its DFW Super Team ... completed 65.6 percent (160-of-244) of his passes for 2,867 yards ... had 48 touchdown tosses to just two interceptions ... threw for 2,725 yards and 31 touchdowns as a junior ... passed for 454 yards and six scores in the state title game that season ... chose TCU over Alabama, Baylor, Missouri, Oregon State and UCLA.

Yep, he was recruited over by a kid named Foster Sawyer who red-shirted this year. Based on HS achievements and rankings and offers, it appears to me that Mr Allen will have a very tough time winning the job over Mr Sawyer once Boynkin leaves after next season.

From TCU's website:

High School:
Four-star signee who was ranked by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. as the No. 2 quarterback prospect in Texas and No. 13 nationally ... the No. 31 prospect in the At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. Texas Top 100 ... also ranked No. 213 in the country in the At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. Top 300 ... named the 2013 Star-Telegram Player of the Year for its DFW Super Team ... completed 65.6 percent (160-of-244) of his passes for 2,867 yards ... had 48 touchdown tosses to just two interceptions ... threw for 2,725 yards and 31 touchdowns as a junior ... passed for 454 yards and six scores in the state title game that season ... chose TCU over Alabama, Baylor, Missouri, Oregon State and UCLA.

They actually landed 2 QB recruits last year very, very early in the process. Definitely A list guys for them. I wouldn't be surprised if Allen sits another year behind Boykin then gets passed by 1 of the 2. That's if Boykin doesn't jump to the NFL, if he does, then this season may be Allen's best shot to start.

Last edited:

From TCU's website:

High School:

Were they not supposed to recruit any other quarterbacks? Or if they did recruit bad ones? I'm sure he will get a shot. If he is good enough he will start. If he's not he will be a career extra point holder. I just don't think anything has been decided yet no matter how much some want him to ride the pine for 4 years.

From TCU's website:

High School:

Who cares? If Allen couldn't play at TCU over 4 years, what makes you think he could play here and you would enjoy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.