Class of 2015 - QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks taller than 6'3" to me... Reminds me of a Nevada qb, Kaepernick? I wonder what ever happened to him...

If we have to take 10 QB's on in order to find one top flight ACC QB, so be it. Enough's enough as far as I'm concerned. We're 6 years in to the rebuild between Marrone and Shafer and Nassib is the only QB we've had that in my opinion would have been considered a top half of the ACC type talent during his JR/SR years. And he was recruited by GRob!

If we have to throw a pile of QB's against the wall and hope one sticks, so be it.

Unfortunately, it's been a lot longer than 6 years. I'm thirsty for another good QB. Better odds with more candidates. Bring him in.

Hale might be the 'well give you a shot at Qb' kid and move if it doesn't work out. Of all the kids he's the kid who can move. I know they're recruiting him as a Qb but he's an athlete.

Back in the 90's we recruited a bunch QBs and moved them. Phil Nash to db, Dee Brown to running back, KJ to WR etc.

Concerning QB's on the roster, I have not heard anyone mention the possibility of Hunt not being invited back for his 5th year. He is not guaranteed a 5th year. I think we can expect one of the freshman redshirts not coming back and Hunt not being invited back, that leaves us with 2 scholarship QB's still on the roster add Edouard and a recruit this year, and that leaves us with a more manageable 4 QB's. Hunt was not playing well and missed the bulk of the year, why have him back next year?
Would be shocked if Hunt is not invited back

I found this article from 2012 on Dungey that I thought was interesting...sorry if it was already posted.

Eric Dungey Of Lakeridge Top 2015 Prospect Making Noise
by Dirk Knudsen | Posted on Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012

It seems like every year we just get started getting to know the best Seniors and Juniors when a few upstart Sophomores come out and steal the headlines. One of the guys that illustrates that best is 6'3"-190 pound Eric Dungey of Lakeridge High School in Lake Oswego, Oregon. The 2015 gunslinger has a cannon for an arm and is sure not afraid to use it.
Under legendary Head Coach Tom Smythe Eric has been encouraged to spread the field and moves the ball quickly. And boy can he do just that.
The Pacers started out all right with a win over Eastlake of Seattle but have dropped 4 straight since then and things are not going to get much easier in the always tough Three Rivers League.
But young Dungey is showcasing a big arm and some great wheels so far:
  • 1022 yards passing on 61.7% completion
  • 11 TD's / 6 Ints
  • 48 Rushing attempts
  • 402 yards Rushing and 6 TD's
  • That is 1,424 yards and 17 TD's on a half season
Great numbers by any standard. And yes he can work on his accuracy and his reads. Something he is very serious about.
"We are always working on things. If there is not a practice I just grab some of the guys and go to the field and throw. I attend Barton Football in the off season as well which has helped," said Dungey.
He considers his leadership his primary skill on the field and is happy with the command he has developed of Coach Smythe's No Huddle Shotgun Spread offense.
"I make the reads and make adjustments and call audibles too. And I am getting the hang of it pretty well," said the QB who started 3 games late in his Freshmen year for the varsity.
Dungey and the Pacers were on the other side of the field when Thomas Tyner went for 644 yards and 10 td's. And even though he had 6 TD's of his own (threw for 4 and ran for 2 posting 440 yards total) he was in awe of Tyner.
"That is the best athlete I have ever seen. We simply could not stop him," he said. "I wish we could have but we could not. He is amazing."
Now Dungey is quite an athlete himself. He plays basketball and loves to throw down the dunks. Something he says he is good at. And this year he will do Track in the Spring competing as a Jumper and in the 400 meters.
So we had to ask. As hot as he is for such a young guy where does he want to be heading when football at Lakeridge is over?
"The Pac 12 would be great. If not somewhere like Duke back East that has a good academic program and where I can make a name for myself."
What if he grows and can put those hops to work as a receiver or tight end?
"I am staying on the QB path. But if that was a better option you bet I would give it a shot," he concluded.
Eric Dungey is going to get those chances no doubt. If he keeps progressing like this anything is possible.

He doesn't look anything like his dad Tony...

Hunt is definitely coming back. Not a doubt.

Silly question.
Why is it a silly question? I think it is a very thoughtful question considering our situation and the desire to get better. Hunt's presence complicates the picture unless you feel he will improve and be the best QB on the roster. What evidence is there to support that theory? Just asking.

Dr. Bill said:
Why is it a silly question? I think it is a very thoughtful question considering our situation and the desire to get better. Hunt's presence complicates the picture unless you feel he will improve and be the best QB on the roster. What evidence is there to support that theory? Just asking.

It's more complicated than that. A kid who has been here 4 years - with his particular back story - goes down trying to make a play and the staff asks him to sit up in the booth - and then we ask him to leave?

All the interviews with the coaching staff point to him being the guy when he returns. No one has lit it up in his absence (ie. They've all been equal or worse).

That's why.

It's not a silly question it's an idiotic question. Seriously.

I hope that Dungey doesn't get impacted driving through all this snow in WNY.

Talk about a lousy first impression...

I have been thinking the same thing, but one needs to figure out what Lester intends to run in order to make a decent guess. Since Eric is Lester's first QB offer as OC, I think we now have a good idea. The guy at most risk is Wilson and I would not be surprised to see him transfer if he gets buried on the depth chart.

I do think Edouard will make it here, but he will probably RS.

Eric Dungey is either 180 or 200 pounds and at 6'4" needs to put on a few lbs.

He is only a 3 star (Lord only knows why), but I have to think he will get a lot of Left Coast offers. It will probably be a challenge to get him here.

If Wilson didn't leave at the end of last year, why would he leave now. He was told he wasn't going to play here, the 5th guy in a 4 man battle.

It's a good thing he didn't listen.

If Wilson didn't leave at the end of last year, why would he leave now. He was told he wasn't going to play here, the 5th guy in a 4 man battle.

It's a good thing he didn't listen.
Saint Doug recruited him and he looked like a Ryan type player. He would have fit that system. He now has three years of eligibility left. If he get buried on the depth chart next year becasue we now want a dual-threat QB why wouldn't he leave?

Saint Doug recruited him and he looked like a Ryan type player. He would have fit that system. He now has three years of eligibility left. If he get buried on the depth chart next year becasue we now want a dual-threat QB why wouldn't he leave?

girlfriend! They continue to force guys into bad situations ;)

That isn't any different than last year.

Not only should Hunt be invited back, he should be the unquestioned QB going into next season.
If what you say is true, then we are approaching the definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over…and expecting a different result.

The definition of insanity is kicking a 5th year Senior out of school, and relying on one of three unproven Sophomores who can't stay healthy and a Freshman who might never show up.

IMO, the more QB's we have in camp, the better chance we pick the right one.

Silly…idiotic? this is a sports forum…what happened to respecting the opinions of others? You guys kill me. None of us on here are experts….just fans…with opinions. You can disagree, without name calling…..I thought this was a serious fan forum!
for what it's worth (read: not much), I'd be surprised if Hunt is back next year. He isn't a good QB and he isn't going to magically turn into one next year, his 5th in the program. The program is better off identifying and developing their next QB next season. Hunt is never going pro, so he might be better off playing his final season at an FCS school.

I just don't see any way Syracuse has 6 QB's on scholarship next season. Hunt is a low upside known quantity with no future beyond next year. I'd be extremely disappointed as a fan if he is the starting QB next year.

Not only should Hunt be invited back, he should be the unquestioned QB going into next season.
He should be back however I'm not sure he should be the unquestioned QB. based on the small sample size from this year I thought he regressed. I think the QB battle will be 100% open

for what it's worth (read: not much), I'd be surprised if Hunt is back next year. He isn't a good QB and he isn't going to magically turn into one next year, his 5th in the program. The program is better off identifying and developing their next QB next season. Hunt is never going pro, so he might be better off playing his final season at an FCS school.

I just don't see any way Syracuse has 6 QB's on scholarship next season. Hunt is a low upside known quantity with no future beyond next year. I'd be extremely disappointed as a fan if he is the starting QB next year.

Well be prepared to be disappointed then. I agree that there probably won't be 6 QBs on roster next year but it won't be because Hunt isn't coming back.

Silly…idiotic? this is a sports forum…what happened to respecting the opinions of others? You guys kill me. None of us on here are experts….just fans…with opinions. You can disagree, without name calling…..I thought this was a serious fan forum!

I didn’t call you a name. It’s an adjective describing your question.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with your view on hunt not coming back but I understand your thought process and view. Personally I think we need as many options as possible at qb and an experienced qb with the schedule we have next year could help lead us to a bowl. That said, there is nothing wrong with disagreement, as you said this is a fan forum. Name calling is unnecessary and never productive. I appreciate your opinion and hope you continue to post them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.