Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

We'll definitely be in the mix here. This is the kid we need to get NY State excited in our program and get the dominoes falling.
Hope you are right, everything I have seen from him leads me to believe he views us as a second tier option, seems to have his eyes set on the Big Boys, not saying Dino can't sway him but if he does then this will be quite an achievement for HCDB.

Sure, 15 years ago it made sense to focus on talent in state. Now, not so much. You're not going to win too many games at the college level filling your roster with NYS kids.
So the top NYS kids over the last 4-5 yrs. that were good enough for Ohio St., Florida, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Michigan, Florida St. and Alabama aren't good enough for Syracuse. That makes no sense.

So the top NYS kids over the last 4-5 yrs. that were good enough for Ohio St., Florida, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Michigan, Florida St. and Alabama aren't good enough for Syracuse. That makes no sense.

Pretty sure he said filling your roster, IE 6-10 recruits per year. We should being trying to get 2 of the top 5 NY recruits per year. Most of the big recruits prefer to go out of state for one reason or another.

Coan is the real deal from what I see. Accurate, smooth mechanics. Perfect fit for Dino's system.

Coan would be a statement recruit for Babers and staff.

I'd expect him to end up at a factory, but you never know. Maybe he'll look at Babers's offense and envision himself posting video game numbers at the helm.

Sudano said:

Well... Even if you get two of those type kids a year, that's a fairly high percentage of the available 3-5* talent in any given year. You're not "filling your roster" with NY kids.

But the reverse is true too - if you try to fill your roster with NY kids you're going to end up with a bunch of kids whose families see them on the bench.

Dino has the right idea: go after the best, if you can get them - fill with the best available talent from wherever. Don't fill with kids who won't play.

Coan would be a statement recruit for Babers and staff.

I'd expect him to end up at a factory, but you never know. Maybe he'll look at Babers's offense and envision himself posting video game numbers at the helm.
Agree. Thought he was locked and loaded for Mich?

Did we travel back in time to 1997 when I wasn't looking? We're looking strictly for triple option quarterbacks again?

Who said anything about triple option? I'm thinking more along of the lines of a throw first run second type of guy who has elite speed/arm. Any Good coach is going to mold his offense to maximize his players strengths/minimize weaknesses. Yea HCDB might've had a QB that tossed the pigskin for 5k yards while rocking a beer belly but it doesn't mean thats the ideal player he wanted running his offense and I would never expect him to say anything that hinted towards that opinion either. Is Coan good? damn straight he is, but I don't think that means that if barbers had his pick of any QB across the country that he would be it.

Pretty sure he said filling your roster, IE 6-10 recruits per year. We should being trying to get 2 of the top 5 NY recruits per year. Most of the big recruits prefer to go out of state for one reason or another.
No Sherlock. Why waste your breath by using a Strawman's argument by talking about filling an entire roster with NYS kids when no one ever implied that concept in any way shape or form in any post or reality. Even 15 yrs ago as he stated it wasn't feasible. It's never feasible to limit your recruiting to your homestate. But let's not ignore the top 10 or so in our own back yard.

No . . . . Sherlock. Why waste your breath by using a Strawman's argument by talking about filling an entire roster with NYS kids when no one ever implied that concept in any way shape or form in any post or reality. Even 15 yrs ago as he stated it wasn't feasible. It's never feasible to limit your recruiting to your homestate. But let's not ignore the top 10 or so in our own back yard.

Umm, when did I say ignore the top NYS players? Never.

You said, "in-state players are the lifeblood of top programs...starting local than fanning out from there just makes sense". That's where we disagree. Starting local doesn't matter to the lifeblood of the program IMO. We should focus on key recruiting states and recruit NYS players we have a chance with, who can help the program. But we will never be a top program because we focused our attention on NYS players.

Well... Even if you get two of those type kids a year, that's a fairly high percentage of the available 3-5* talent in any given year. You're not "filling your roster" with NY kids.

But the reverse is true too - if you try to fill your roster with NY kids you're going to end up with a bunch of kids whose families see them on the bench.

Dino has the right idea: go after the best, if you can get them - fill with the best available talent from wherever. Don't fill with kids who won't play.
You are right that Dino has the right idea. You are wrong in what that idea is. In numerous interviews Dino Babers has differentiated what his first class looked like and what his overall recruiting classes will look like going forward. He has been very clear that the reason his initial class came mostly from the Midwest was because that was where the kids with whom they had existing long term relationships from his BGSU days. He has clearly communicated that the NYS and Northeast kids they would have heavily recruited were pretty much picked over and committed elsewhere so it would have been very difficult to get involved late enough and have that long term recruiting relationship needed to get them to come to SU. He said going forward that NYS and the Northeast will become a recruiting priority and with concentric circles spiral out from there. They will now have a full year to develop those recruit relationships that do live closer to central NY. And for those straw man devil's advocates he did not say 'ALL Recruits' will come from NYS.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...dino_babers_syracuse_football_recruiting.html
Starting at 8:00.

Umm, when did I say ignore the top NYS players? Never.

You said, "in-state players are the lifeblood of top programs...starting local than fanning out from there just makes sense". That's where we disagree. Starting local doesn't matter to the lifeblood of the program IMO. We should focus on key recruiting states and recruit NYS players we have a chance with, who can help the program. But we will never be a top program because we focused our attention on NYS players.
We will be a top program when we focus AND successfully recruit top NY talent.
Thank goodness Dino Babers disagrees with you and he's setting recruiting priorities and not you.

Sudano said:
You are right that Dino has the right idea. You are wrong in what that idea is. In numerous interviews Dino Babers has differentiated what his first class looked like and what his overall recruiting classes will look like going forward. He has been very clear that the reason his initial class came mostly from the Midwest was because that was where the kids with whom they had existing long term relationships from his BGSU days. He has clearly communicated that the NYS and Northeast kids they would have heavily recruited were pretty much picked over and committed elsewhere so it would have been very difficult to get involved late enough and have that long term recruiting relationship needed to get them to come to SU. He said going forward that NYS and the Northeast will become a recruiting priority and with concentric circles spiral out from there. They will now have a full year to develop those recruit relationships that do live closer to central NY. And for those straw man devil's advocates he did not say 'ALL Recruits' will come from NYS. http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...dino_babers_syracuse_football_recruiting.html YouTube Video Starting at 8:00.

You didn't disagree with anything I wrote. I said he's only interested in kids who can compete in the ACC from NY. There's not enough of them and they were all solid to other schools when Babers came on board.

The difference is that Marrone and Shafer were more willing to take chances on local kids than Babers is currently. He'll recruit NY kids but he's only taking on kids who fit and are good. So if we miss out on the top 2-3 kids - look forward to more like this last class - kids from other states.

You didn't disagree with anything I wrote. I said he's only interested in kids who can compete in the ACC from NY. There's not enough of them and they were all solid to other schools when Babers came on board.

The difference is that Marrone and Shafer were more willing to take chances on local kids than Babers is currently. He'll recruit NY kids but he's only taking on kids who fit and are good. So if we miss out on the top 2-3 kids - look forward to more like this last class - kids from other states.

Well, McDuffie seems pretty legit, and he's a NY kid, and already a commit.
So, hopefully Dino and crew do their own due dilligence, determine that they like him too, and reaffirm his offer.
NY kid. Box checked. Move on.

To the extent that kids like Coan will legitimately consider a University of Syracuse offer, take an OV, etc, then maybe we can start landing some of them.
Hopefully our O puts up some video game #'s next year, and then the more elite prospects will really consider us, rather than as a courtesy/lip-service.

721Comstock said:
Well, McDuffie seems pretty legit, and he's a NY kid, and already a commit. So, hopefully Dino and crew do their own due dilligence, determine that they like him too, and reaffirm his offer. NY kid. Box checked. Move on. To the extent that kids like Coan will legitimately consider a University of Syracuse offer, take an OV, etc, then maybe we can start landing some of them. Hopefully our O puts up some video game #'s next year, and then the more elite prospects will really consider us, rather than as a courtesy/lip-service.

I like McDuffie. Who knows what Babers thinks.

But I think Coan will give us more of a look with Babers than if we'd kept Shafer. And you're 100% - we need wins and exciting offense to be in these conversations moving fwd.

Thank goodness Dino Babers disagrees with you and he's setting recruiting priorities and not you.

We already focus on NYS recruits and have since Marrone was the coach, at least.

Since you don't personally know what Babers thinks, compared to what he says in interviews, I'll take what you think he means and his intent, with a grain of salt.

You are right that Dino has the right idea. You are wrong in what that idea is. In numerous interviews Dino Babers has differentiated what his first class looked like and what his overall recruiting classes will look like going forward. He has been very clear that the reason his initial class came mostly from the Midwest was because that was where the kids with whom they had existing long term relationships from his BGSU days. He has clearly communicated that the NYS and Northeast kids they would have heavily recruited were pretty much picked over and committed elsewhere so it would have been very difficult to get involved late enough and have that long term recruiting relationship needed to get them to come to SU. He said going forward that NYS and the Northeast will become a recruiting priority and with concentric circles spiral out from there. They will now have a full year to develop those recruit relationships that do live closer to central NY. And for those straw man devil's advocates he did not say 'ALL Recruits' will come from NYS.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...dino_babers_syracuse_football_recruiting.html
Starting at 8:00.
I doubt that it is going to happen in the 2017 class just from looking at who and where they are offering so far.

Who said anything about triple option? I'm thinking more along of the lines of a throw first run second type of guy who has elite speed/arm. Any Good coach is going to mold his offense to maximize his players strengths/minimize weaknesses. Yea HCDB might've had a QB that tossed the pigskin for 5k yards while rocking a beer belly but it doesn't mean thats the ideal player he wanted running his offense and I would never expect him to say anything that hinted towards that opinion either. Is Coan good? damn straight he is, but I don't think that means that if barbers had his pick of any QB across the country that he would be it.
What makes you think Babers wants a quarterback with elite speed? If we're looking at Babers' four-year tenure as a head coach he simply wants a quarterback who can throw the football well first and foremost. He's not going to sacrifice a chance at a stud with a golden arm simply because he's labeled as a "prostyle" QB (which may be exactly what Babers wants).

orangenirvana said:
What makes you think Babers wants a quarterback with elite speed? If we're looking at Babers' four-year tenure as a head coach he simply wants a quarterback who can throw the football well first and foremost. He's not going to sacrifice a chance at a stud with a golden arm simply because he's labeled as a "prostyle" QB (which may be exactly what Babers wants).

Yep. Throws + decision making > ability to run

those are the very few among the many. There is good talent in NY. It's just hard to get the couple of 4 star guys when all the SEC schools are after them. I'm not saying don't try, I'm just saying it's easier to get 3 or 4 out of 30, than it is to get 3 or 4 out of 3 or 4.

The best player in CNY this year (Schaffner) went to Colgate. Syracuse absolutely needs to get three kids a year from NY who can contribute, but it's a wide net to cast for so few fish.

You doubt what is going to happen?
That NY and the Northeast will be a recruiting priority for the 2017 class. It takes time to build relationships. This year will be the year they start to develop those relationships. They will probably target a few NY state kids like Coan, Isaiah Wilson and Jordan-Williams but I don't think it will be a big push to bring in NY or Northeast kids.

CuseLegacy said:
That NY and the Northeast will be a recruiting priority for the 2017 class. It takes time to build relationships. This year will be the year they start to develop those relationships. They will probably target a few NY state kids like Coan, Isaiah Wilson and Jordan-Williams but I don't think it will be a big push to bring in NY or Northeast kids.

I think this is how it will be going forward. 3-5 if they are good - otherwise fill from other states.

EDIT: and till we win consistently, there will be local grumbling.

When it comes to NYS kids it is really pretty simple. If we like them we offer try to get them up to the camp and an OV. They all have the ability to see the program on their own. We simply do not have that many great football players in the state. There is only so much we can do to keep a kid at home.

My daughter is case in point. She is a good student and letters in three varsity sports. CU and CSU are great schools in beautiful settings. She has zero desire to stay in CO for college. She loves the state and will most likely live here but for college she is looking all over the country but not at the local schools. I hear the same thing from my friends in other states. Very few of the kids want to stay home for college. The point is that we are behind the 8 ball from the start because we are the in state school not in the lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom