Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

Our best chances of getting this kid is by getting him up for Jr. Day.

At the end of the day in 2017 we’ll recruit what ever New Yorker's are good enough and the bulk of the effort will come from PA, MD, VA, MI and Ohio, and as many as we can get from Florida. NJ is TBD.

Yes there will be some token kids from wherever, but I believe the bulk of our class will be made up of the aforementioned states.

NY only typically has 0-5 high major kids in a given year. 10-15 D1 kids max. Our focus will be small because that's the value.
Totally agree and you can add the Land of Lincoln to your list ;-)

Ah...the old 'you can't read his mind' and what he REALLY is thinking defense. Now you're really stretching the concept of reality. So you think he's lying and its all just a ruse. Call me old fashioned but I take people at their word when they make sense.

There you go again, it's hard to take you seriously when you keep making up things that I said. Did I say he is lying? Here, let me show you how this works...

This is the 2nd time I'm posting EXACTLY what you wrote, "in-state players are the lifeblood of top programs...starting local than fanning out from there just makes sense".

And this is SPECIFICALLY where we disagree. Let me write it again, the wins and losses of SU FB will not be determined largely by NYS recruits. NYS players will not the lifeblood of SU football because there isn't enough talent for that to be true.

Why aren't you arguing with Cuselegacy too?

There you go again, it's hard to take you seriously when you keep making up things that I said. Did I say he is lying? Here, let me show you how this works...

This is the 2nd time I'm posting EXACTLY what you wrote, "in-state players are the lifeblood of top programs...starting local than fanning out from there just makes sense".

And this is SPECIFICALLY where we disagree. Let me write it again, the wins and losses of SU FB will not be determined largely by NYS recruits. NYS players will not the lifeblood of SU football because there isn't enough talent for that to be true.

Why aren't you arguing with Cuselegacy too?

I'm cuter than you. ;)

Totally agree and you can add the Land of Lincoln to your list ;-)
To add to Phat's breakout of where we are going to get most of our players from - he mentioned as many players from FL as we can get. As of one week ago we already have almost 40 offers to recruits in the Sunshine State alone. He's right on in his state by state talent pool to draw from and I would specifically add Cass Tech HS in Detroit as a wellspring for future recruiting and Narbonne HS in the Harbor City area of LA as another. IMO, Dino is just beginning to spread SU's wings to get us into the competition for the elite levels of talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to Phat's breakout of where we are going to get most of our players from - he mentioned as many players from FL as we can get. As of one week ago we already have almost 40 offers to recruits in the Sunshine State alone. He's right on in his state by state talent pool to draw from and I would specifically add Cass Tech HS in Detroit as a wellspring for future recruiting and Narbonne HS in the Harbor City area of LA as another. IMO, Dino is just beginning to spread SU's wings to get us into the competition for the elite levels of talent.

If you look at last years numbers for offers to Florida it will be about the same under both coaches. The last staff also recruited Cass Tech but this is the first year that SU received a commit from that HS. With the exception of CA Babers recruiting area is very similar to Shafers. The number of prospects that have been reoffered by the new staff is interesting.

If you look at last years numbers for offers to Florida it will be about the same under both coaches. The last staff also recruited Cass Tech but this is the first year that SU received a commit from that HS. With the exception of CA Babers recruiting area is very similar to Shafers. The number of prospects that have been reoffered by the new staff is interesting.

Perhaps the areas are similar but that is as far as the similarity goes, IMO. I believe we are looking at two very different personalities as well as coaches with coaching and conditioning styles as un-similar as one might imagine. Dino's stated conditioning alone will test everyone - veterans and new players on the team.

That the recruits have been re - offered is not unusual. What will the results of Dino and his staff be with the reoffered? It will be interesting as you mentioned to see. I'll bet we get many - but it will take Dino, as he has mentioned this short class recently ended combined with the new 2017 recruiting class just begun - running through next February to see us moving forward. Both classes will develop into a good team and then a very good one after the 2018 class is signed. For me it is exciting to watch the new HC and his staff and the results they anticipate achieving, hopefully positive commits to SU. Recently, Dino's TARGETS for 2017 were listed by a primary pay site. It was so good to see defined targets, players at positions of need that are 4 and 5 star as well as three star recruits. It seemed for years that we were the recipients of 2 and 3 star talent perhaps due to our previous HC's and staffs, our records and physical plant. We have now developed our facilities to the point that we can compete with anyone. Hopefully the Dome's renovation will be started and completed this year so that recruits will see this happening and be further engaged to sign with SU. The biggest attraction is this man and his staff. To hear him speak about where we are now, realize what he has already accomplished and hear him speak about where he is taking us is amazing.

Perhaps the areas are similar but that is as far as the similarity goes, IMO. I believe we are looking at two very different personalities as well as coaches with coaching and conditioning styles as un-similar as one might imagine. Dino's stated conditioning alone will test everyone - veterans and new players on the team.

That the recruits have been re - offered is not unusual. What will the results of Dino and his staff be with the reoffered? It will be interesting as you mentioned to see. I'll bet we get many - but it will take Dino, as he has mentioned this short class recently ended combined with the new 2017 recruiting class just begun - running through next February to see us moving forward. Both classes will develop into a good team and then a very good one after the 2018 class is signed. For me it is exciting to watch the new HC and his staff and the results they anticipate achieving, hopefully positive commits to SU. Recently, Dino's TARGETS for 2017 were listed by a primary pay site. It was so good to see defined targets, players at positions of need that are 4 and 5 star as well as three star recruits. It seemed for years that we were the recipients of 2 and 3 star talent perhaps due to our previous HC's and staffs, our records and physical plant. We have now developed our facilities to the point that we can compete with anyone. Hopefully the Dome's renovation will be started and completed this year so that recruits will see this happening and be further engaged to sign with SU. The biggest attraction is this man and his staff. To hear him speak about where we are now, realize what he has already accomplished and hear him speak about where he is taking us is amazing.

Most every program offers 4 and 5 stars every cycle. If you look back at the previous classes I think you will see this to be true. Also unfortunately, though SU has made strides in the development of the facilities, in the facilities arm race we are probably middle of the pack. I do hope they start renovations of the Dome as numerous programs are upgrading their stadiums and facilities.

Most every program offers 4 and 5 stars every cycle. If you look back at the previous classes I think you will see this to be true. Also unfortunately, though SU has made strides in the development of the facilities, in the facilities arm race we are probably middle of the pack. I do hope they start renovations of the Dome as numerous programs are upgrading their stadiums and facilities.
Yes, every year we throw our hat in the ring for the top dogs, but then quickly the efforts are concentrated on obtainable recruits. It will be interesting if this staff goes hard after some of the top players.

Yes, every year we throw our hat in the ring for the top dogs, but then quickly the efforts are concentrated on obtainable recruits. It will be interesting if this staff goes hard after some of the top players.
I think there are a few that they will go after hard. It is difficult to tell who will truly remain their main target just from the overall number of offers made already. Plus lower ranked kids blow up while others get injured or fail in the classroom. The offer list will "shrink".

And unless these Juniors have visited or camped on a campus they have had no face to face contact with any coaches. So schools who have had these kids visit or camp on their campus freshman or sophomore year have an advantage over a new coaching staff. This is probably why the coaches are trying to get some kids to visit this month. Get that personal relationship going.

I think there are a few that they will go after hard. It is difficult to tell who will truly remain their main target just from the overall number of offers made already. Plus lower ranked kids blow up while others get injured or fail in the classroom. The offer list will "shrink".

And unless these Juniors have visited or camped on a campus they have had no face to face contact with any coaches. So schools who have had these kids visit or camp on their campus freshman or sophomore year have an advantage over a new coaching staff. This is probably why the coaches are trying to get some kids to visit this month. Get that personal relationship going.

Yes. The personal relationship is very important especially with this new staff. I believe with this staff's honesty and acumen it is critical to get the 4 and 5 star's on campus to develop strong bonds and try to sign them in 2017. Once the 4 star is signed, especially in our home state, there is more probability of others following suit. As our record begins to go to the positive there is a chance that the better athletes will see our record and then listen to Dino's philosophy. True, everyone offers the higher rated athletes - some not expecting much, but with this new staff, a winning one, just maybe we'll get a couple? If I were Dino - I'd have someone calling Jack Coan on the island frequently to develop that personal family relationship even further and Romello Martin in Brooklyn, both 4 star targets, and get them to SU for unofficials, fundamental for a N.Y. State base starting point. We have to finally get some of the best in state players to show that we can and that recruits are interested in playing for us to keep that ball rolling and depend on our play to keep an influx of N.Y. players coming. The weekend of the 20th, and 27th of this month are important ones for us as many recruits including a 4 star QB not named Coan will be on campus. There is a lot going on right now not only our development of players in state but all over. As of 9:30 tonight, 2/11, we have offered three four stars - two in my home state of CT. In their interviews they all said they are looking for a "family atmosphere" which is a cornerstone of coach Baber's football program. It seems obvious to me that the HC is taking it one step at a time offering 4 stars first before getting to 5 stars. We'll see how we progress from 3 to 4. I hope we will do well. It will be nice to go to "additional content" and see a few 4 stars among the 3's in the pull down for commits. I have bought in to Dino Babers and staff - not having heard and seen their hit the ground running, get great results style in years - if ever and a HC who is articulate, has an encyclopedia of FB knowledge while promoting the future of SU football eloquently.

Scott Brown ‏@RivalsSyracuse 46m46 minutes ago New York, USA
Syracuse is in heavy pursuit of 2017 4* QB (NY) Jack Coan (@jcoan17).

I think that we should be in heavy pursuit of Jack Coan. He is a mature, pro style pocket passer used to working from a shotgun in a spread formation. He exhibits excellent form and mechanics showing proper stance and footwork, and is ready to step into the throw with a very quick release. He shows a strong arm, is not afraid to stand in the pocket to deliver the ball and it is tight, and crisp, and accurate - (esp.long), short and over the middle. If he needs to run he is tough, strong, and deceptively fast. If, as many have mentioned, we are a second level option for him and the big house is always on his mind everyday there really isn't much you can do. The only other option may be to have the HC go one on one with JC to exhibit Baber's charmed articulate knowledge of football, family and the promise of immediate play - if Babers thinks he's ready. First though, you have to get him here. And to this date he isn't coming in these February visit groups.
Perhaps there is some other magic the HC has to entice the young man. Camping out on his doorstep on the island in Sayville isn't going to help. We could end up being a nuisance. Leave it up to the HC and his staff to evaluate the situation. They've been there many times before.

I think that we should be in heavy pursuit of Jack Coan. He is a mature, pro style pocket passer used to working from a shotgun in a spread formation. He exhibits excellent form and mechanics showing proper stance and footwork, and is ready to step into the throw with a very quick release. He shows a strong arm is not afraid to stand in the pocket to deliver the ball and it is tight, and crisp, and accurate - (esp.long), short and over the middle. . If he needs to run he is tough, strong, and deceptively fast. If, as many have mentioned, we are a second level option for him and the big house is always on his mind everyday there really isn't much you can do. The only other option may be to have HC go one on one with JC to exhibit Baber's charmed articulate knowledge of football, family and the promise of immediate play - if Babers thinks he's ready. First though, you have to get him here. And to this date he ain't coming in these February visit groups.
Perhaps there is some other magic the HC has to entice the young man. Camping out on his doorstep on the island in Sayville isn't going to help. We could end up being a nuisance. Leave it up to the HC and his staff to evaluate the situation. They've been there many times before.
We'll get him on campus at some point, that I'm sure of. The issue is convincing him we're a viable option because right now we definitely aren't.

But viable option has to start somewhere and that's where we have to convince him it will start with him. Once he says I do, then others such as top wrs , rbs, and other top recruit will buy into the program. We arn't going to beat the big boys in recruiting until we start winning and showing them we are someone to reckon with. We can do this even with Dungey (if he can stay healthy) and this years recruits. But we have to get players like JC to buy into it. Lets call it a investment. :)

We'll get him on campus at some point, that I'm sure of. The issue is convincing him we're a viable option because right now we definitely aren't.

Sorry, but we are a viable option. The school plays football in the ACC. It plays against the best teams in the country. Colgate is not a viable option. Syracuse is.

Whether it is a top option for him or the best option for him remains to be seen. It probably isn't the option that he has that has had the most success recently. But it certainly is a viable option.

Sorry, but we are a viable option. The school plays football in the ACC. It plays against the best teams in the country. Colgate is not a viable option. Syracuse is.

Whether it is a top option for him or the best option for him remains to be seen. It probably isn't the option that he has that has had the most success recently. But it certainly is a viable option.

That means that pretty much EVERY P5 school is a "viable option" for him.
They ALL play in a good conference, against the best teams.
Which doesn't really do much to differentiate us from any of them, or make us a desirable option for him.

We were pretty awful and irrelevant the past 2 years.
Mediocre at best for 5 seasons prior to that.
Atrocious and a laughingstock for 4 seasons prior to that.

As far back as this kid can remember, we've been - at best - meh.

I'm confident Dino and Co can get that perception, and the results turned around, but it will take time.
And faith. And some of these kids don't have either.

That means that pretty much EVERY P5 school is a "viable option" for him.
They ALL play in a good conference, against the best teams.
Which doesn't really do much to differentiate us from any of them, or make us a desirable option for him.

We were pretty awful and irrelevant the past 2 years.
Mediocre at best for 5 seasons prior to that.
Atrocious and a laughingstock for 4 seasons prior to that.

As far back as this kid can remember, we've been - at best - meh.

I'm confident Dino and Co can get that perception, and the results turned around, but it will take time.
And faith. And some of these kids don't have either.

You are correct. Every P5 school is a viable option to all top shelf high school athletes. Don't use the word if it's not true.

Last edited:
You are correct. Every P5 school is a viable option to all top shelf high school athletes. Don't use the word if it's not true.
"viable" in this context, is entirely subjective and in the eye of the individual player. Technically, any school with a football program is "viable", if you want to play the semantic game. To a certain caliber of recruit, Syracuse is absolutely proven to be not "viable", as evidenced by the fact that Syracuse football hasn't pulled in an elite recruit in over a decade. If Coan is looking at offers from Michigan, Notre Dame, and schools of that ilk, then Syracuse will most certainly need to work to prove "viable," in this context. The good news is that I think Dino can do that, in a way that Shafer and the previous offense wouldn't have had a prayer. Time will tell.

"viable" in this context, is entirely subjective and in the eye of the individual player. Technically, any school with a football program is "viable", if you want to play the semantic game. To a certain caliber of recruit, Syracuse is absolutely proven to be not "viable", as evidenced by the fact that Syracuse football hasn't pulled in an elite recruit in over a decade. If Coan is looking at offers from Michigan, Notre Dame, and schools of that ilk, then Syracuse will most certainly need to work to prove "viable," in this context. The good news is that I think Dino can do that, in a way that Shafer and the previous offense wouldn't have had a prayer. Time will tell.

I don't think that's accurate. We have not pulled in those levels of recruits, that's certainly obvious. But we have been competitive against certain teams that do get those types of recruits, even within the last year (Clemson & LSU come to mind).

Whether or not you want to argue that we need to win and make bowls on a consistent level to be a player with top shelf recruits, that's certainly fair. But the fact that he's from our backyard, so to speak, and is at the very least listening to what we are saying makes us a viable option.

Realistic option? Maybe, maybe not. But not being a viable option would mean we have zero chance. I certainly don't think that's the case at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom