Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

6-3, 190

Somehow, his offers have gone:

Miami (FL), Stony Brook, Syracuse

One of these things is not like the others.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/high-...rterback-jack-coan-is-a-quick-study-1.6487425

Sayville freshman quarterback Jack Coan is a quick study

Updated November 23, 2013 11:04 PM
By LAURA ALBANESE laura.albanese@newsday.com

0 Add comment Reprints + -
image.JPG
Sayville quarterback Jack Coan passes against Huntington in the Suffolk Division III football final at Stony Brook University. (Nov. 23, 2013) Photo Credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke

In seventh grade, Jack Coan began memorizing the Sayville varsity football playbook. In eighth grade, he won all six games he started for his JV team. And in ninth grade, he lived his dream of playing under the lights at Stony Brook.

The dream petered out during Saturday night's 26-18 loss to Huntington in the Suffolk III championship game, but for the freshman quarterback who helped lead No. 7 seed Sayville to the championship game, the road to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium was as improbable as it was memorable.

"Quite frankly, we didn't have any returners," Sayville coach Rob Hoss said before the game. "I graduated both quarterbacks and we thought he was maybe a year away, not quite ready. He proved us wrong."

Coan went 10-for-22 for 143 yards and three touchdowns Saturday night but threw two interceptions, bringing his season total to nine. Still, he capped a season in which he threw for 21 touchdowns (completing 118 of 22 passes) and ran for two more.

Though a work in progress, a player who considered himself more of a lacrosse player two years ago is well on his way to following in the steps of those who came before him: Zack Sirico and record-breaking quarterback Steven Ferreira.

"There's pressure, but you just block the pressure out," he said at practice Thursday. "You just have to have the mind-set of do what you do . . . I look at Zack and Ferreira, and they were both stud athletes, and I just knew that Hoss would try to make me into one of those guys."

He certainly showed some of that mettle in the early going, opening the scoring with a 6-yard touchdown pass to Matt Hewson.

Despite missteps -- the game was decided when Huntington's Infinite Tucker made an interception in the end zone with a little less than two minutes left -- Coan gave Sayville a chance to tie it with two potential scoring passes on the Golden Flashes' last drive. Both were dropped.

"We just never gave up," Coan said. "We had the mindset that if we just put it together, we can definitely win this whole thing."

That just might be what 10th grade is for.

6-3, 190

Somehow, his offers have gone:

Miami (FL), Stony Brook, Syracuse

One of these things is not like the others.

Yeah Miami can't hang with us or Stony Brook ... they don't stand a chance!

Interesting story.

He is actually a verbal commit to Notre Dame right now for lacrosse and hasn't ruled out playing that sport in college.

Bob Herzog ‏@zogsport7 1h1 hour ago
Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh latest to offer full ride to Sayville soph QB Jack Coan. Also has offers from Miami, Syracuse, Maryland, SBU.

Could play both pretty easily, right?

I think he did that just to make me look bad.

Jack, all is forgiven if you decide to go to Syracuse.

I know of one guy who played football and lacrosse at SU and made it working, earning All America honors in both sports. He was also from Long Island, just 38 miles from where Jack lives.

Jack, meet Jim Brown.

image.jpg

923595_orig.jpg

Really like this kid's ability. He throws a hell of a ball. Not a particularly good runner but honestly, I'm okay with a QB who just fires darts. http://.com/orange-qb-target-coan-gives-up-lax-scholarship/

Really like this kid's ability. He throws a hell of a ball. Not a particularly good runner but honestly, I'm okay with a QB who just fires darts. http://.com/orange-qb-target-coan-gives-up-lax-scholarship/

I'd actually be thrilled with more of a pocket passer type qb.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very tough one to win. One thing we could HOPE might happen is that he might want to try to play both football and lacrosse, since that would give us a massive advantage over most schools.

We have got to start winning battles like this. A Dbag like Edsall with a mediocre program can keep studs like Stefon Diggs and Haskins in state, dammit we need to keep a NY stud like this home. A kid from Long Island belongs at SU

We have got to start winning battles like this. A Dbag like Edsall with a mediocre program can keep studs like Stefon Diggs and Haskins in state, dammit we need to keep a NY stud like this home. A kid from Long Island belongs at SU
Someone just needs to let Coan know that once upon a time a kid from Long Island who starred in both football and lacrosse put Syracuse football on the map, and it's time for another kid from LI who stars in both football and lacrosse to help put us BACK on the map.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom