Class of 2016 - QB Jake Zembiec (NY) Verbal to PSU/Retiring from Football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Jake Zembiec (NY) Verbal to PSU/Retiring from Football

Was at PSU Jr Day last weekend.

going to PSU, Bama and FSU for camps, as well as Michigan St and ND.

Guess the question now is will we even get a visit?

Was at PSU Jr Day last weekend.

going to PSU, Bama and FSU for camps, as well as Michigan St and ND.

Guess the question now is will we even get a visit?
I talk to Bullough about him. They are aware of him, thinks he has a strong arm, but dont see him as a mobile QB that creates with his legs or has the run threat element for their system. He didnt flat out say they arent recruting him but he mentioned how there things that they are looking for that he may or may not be able to do for them.

I talk to Bullough about him. They are aware of him, thinks he has a strong arm, but dont see him as a mobile QB that creates with his legs or has the run threat element for their system. He didnt flat out say they arent recruting him but he mentioned how there things that they are looking for that he may or may not be able to do for them.

That is understandable I guess. That should put an end to any discussion about Austin Wilson ever playing for us since he was a Pro Style qb.

anomander said:
That is understandable I guess. That should put an end to any discussion about Austin Wilson ever playing for us since he was a Pro Style qb.

He's playing with the 2's right now... (Not that means he will ever play or that he won't be supplanted by a healthy Kimble, etc).

According to Wilsons' interview I posted in the AJ Long/Hunt thread on the FB forum Lester is working to develop him as a dual threat.

Wilson ran a bit in HS. Not his forte, but he can probably break contain more than, say, Nassib did.

According to Wilsons' interview I posted in the AJ Long/Hunt thread on the FB forum Lester is working to develop him as a dual threat.

That's my point though. If they are going to develop Wilson into a dual threat why wouldn't you try with a local kid that looks like he will be a national recruit? I really don't have a problem with it, but that kind of contradicts each other. Kind of why I have the feeling Wilson will never plays. All the other qb's on the roster are natural dual threats. If they are healthy i'd be willing to bet they get the first chance.

That's my point though. If they are going to develop Wilson into a dual threat why wouldn't you try with a local kid that looks like he will be a national recruit? I really don't have a problem with it, but that kind of contradicts each other. Kind of why I have the feeling Wilson will never plays. All the other qb's on the roster are natural dual threats. If they are healthy i'd be willing to bet they get the first chance.

I think that you will probably agree with me that AJ and Edouard will redshirt, they both have chicken legs and need a year of S&C... just like the staff did with Wilson and Kimble last year. Kimble is recovering from an injury and I don't know if he will be fully recuperated by Fall. Do you? So that leaves only Wilson as a viable backup for Hunt and why I think the staff is working on developing him into a dual threat. Besides Shafer keeps saying that Wilson has a cannon for an arm.

I think that you will probably agree with me that AJ and Edouard will redshirt, they both have chicken legs and need a year of S&C... just like the staff did with Wilson and Kimble last year. Kimble is recovering from an injury and I don't know if he will be fully recuperated by Fall. Do you? So that leaves only Wilson as a viable backup for Hunt and why I think the staff is working on developing him into a dual threat. Besides Shafer keeps saying that Wilson has a cannon for an arm.

Everything i've seen about Kimble is that it's a minor injury, and has participated in some of the Spring drills. There is no reason to believe he won't be ready to go by Fall. All i'm saying is when it comes down to it if both healthy that a true dual threat will get the nod. Not to mention there was a lot of positives being thrown around about Kimble last year.

Everything i've seen about Kimble is that it's a minor injury, and has participated in some of the Spring drills. There is no reason to believe he won't be ready to go by Fall. All i'm saying is when it comes down to it if both healthy that a true dual threat will get the nod. Not to mention there was a lot of positives being thrown around about Kimble last year.

I guess we will just have to wait and see who turns out to be Hunts' backup this Fall. Maybe the Spring Game will give some indications of how the younger QBs are developing.

I guess we will just have to wait and see who turns out to be Hunts' backup this Fall. Maybe the Spring Game will give some indications of how the younger QBs are developing.

I doubt Kimble will participate.

I think my opinion got a bit confused. I was trying not to be critical (or grumpy as you like to say;)) of us not recruiting Zembiac by pointing to the staffs desire to go with strictly dual - threat qb's. My thing is if you are going to convert straight up pro-style qb like Wilson, then why wouldn't you try to recruit a national level prospect who lives an hour down the road? You can always convert him right?

money3189 said:

That sucks. I know you try to recruit kids that fit your system but this kid could be a real stud and possibly one of the top few QBs in his class. To me what you lose in taking off with the ball or on designed QB runs you more than gain with the passing game.

I always thought Billy Scharr made the wrong decision to go to Cuse. System did not fit him. He got convinced to stay home. He turned down some big schools that were better for his skill set.

I doubt Kimble will participate.

I think my opinion got a bit confused. I was trying not to be critical (or grumpy as you like to say;)) of us not recruiting Zembiac by pointing to the staffs desire to go with strictly dual - threat qb's. My thing is if you are going to convert straight up pro-style qb like Wilson, then why wouldn't you try to recruit a national level prospect who lives an hour down the road? You can always convert him right?

Marrone recruited Wilson because he could "extend plays" with his legs. He is not a "true dual threat" but he can definitely run way better than Nassib and I wouldn't necessarily put him in the Tom Brady mold of pocket passers with no athleticism.

I would describe him as a pass first dual threat QB.

For me, mobile and dual threat are two different things. Mobile is a QB that is mobile enough to extend plays, move around the pocket and throw on the run. Dual threat is a QB that can rush for 100 yards a game if given enough carries to do so. You have to adjust or come up with a defensive scheme to stop a true dual threat. There's a difference. Austin Wilson is a type of QB that a Defensive Coor. will allow to run if that would allow them to take away the true run threats. They will let Wilson gain 4 or 5 yards oppose to letting the RB's kill them.

Last edited:
From the article..

"Zembiec camped at Syracuse last year and has been told he has an offer from the Orange."

"Direct contact between Zembiec and coaches is still limited because of NCAA rules, but Zembiec has started to form a favorable impression of Lester.
"He seems like a real energetic guy," Zembiec said. "I'm sure he has a lot of fire during practice. He's real nice and it seems like he's the kind of coach where it would be easy to pick up what he's teaching you and just kind of relate to you. Plus he's a younger quarterbacks coach, so you can get a better visual right in front of you."

CuseLegacy said:
From the article.. "Zembiec camped at Syracuse last year and has been told he has an offer from the Orange." "Direct contact between Zembiec and coaches is still limited because of NCAA rules, but Zembiec has started to form a favorable impression of Lester. "He seems like a real energetic guy," Zembiec said. "I'm sure he has a lot of fire during practice. He's real nice and it seems like he's the kind of coach where it would be easy to pick up what he's teaching you and just kind of relate to you. Plus he's a younger quarterbacks coach, so you can get a better visual right in front of you."

Yes please.

Glad to see we really are pursuing him after a lot of doubts we would.

Last edited:
Hopefully he really considers SU. He will have his options, it would be nice to hit on a big time local kid like Jake.

I don't see why the kid wouldn't be a fit here ... he's far from being a statue in the backfield from what I see.

I love his presence when the rush is on, his first instinct isn't to flee. He has very good mechanics, ball fakes that freeze the defense. Harde to believe he's only a sophomore.

Alin has the tendency to flee the pocket too soon which has to be unlearned. Jake run very well but Alin has near elite speed.

Last edited: