Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

I have this sickening feeling that come January, teams are going to be pushing him hard to flip.

The potential good news there is that his size probably limits him to teams that predominantly line up in shotgun or pistol sets. The quotes about his dedication to his position also likely eliminate those schools who might want him as a WR or S or in some other role besides QB.

The press clippings are wonderful. I hope he can be a John Robertson-type player for us.

I have this sickening feeling that come January, teams are going to be pushing him hard to flip.
It's not like he's an unknown commodity. He was player of the year as a junior. His height will always be a detriment. Maybe a big school strikes out on their list and offers late? I think the chip on his shoulder will keep him committed if that happens.

Last edited:
It's not like he's an unknown commodity. He was player of the year as a junior. His height will always be a detriment. Maybe a big school strikes out on their list an offers late? I think the chip on his shoulder will keep him Commited if that happens.

That's kind of what I was thinking when I wrote that.

We are fortunate to get this kid. I hope we can hold on to him.

His Junior highlight video in HUDL doesn't look anything like that.

Agreed. I watched two of his high school games from last year after he signed, and I was impressed with his play against high quality competition chock full of D1 prospects. Kid seems like a good fit for our offense, with solid skills, and a ton of experience playing at a high level of Florida football.

As for whether he is better than Scott--who cares? Get the best players you can, and let them sort it out on the practice field. I think that Culpepper's offers speak for themselves. As does Scott's accolades. No doubt in my mind that if he were 6-2 instead of 5-11, he'd have high major SEC offers.

Their loss, our gain. Bottom line: with these two prospects and Dungey, we are positioned for long term success at the QB position. And the talent in the pipeline is far better than it has been since any time since the mid-90s. Given all the post-McNabb issues we've had at QB, this is a welcome change.

Last edited:
Bottom line: with these two prospects and Dungey, we are positioned for long term success at the QB position. And the talent in the pipeline is far better than it has been since any time since the mid-90s. Given all the post-McNabb issues we've had at QB, this is a welcome change.
Especially when you factor in the high level recruits we're involved with in '17 and '18. We could be absolutely loaded at the QB position in the very near future, if we can land a couple of those guys.

Especially when you factor in the high level recruits we're involved with in '17 and '18. We could be absolutely loaded at the QB position in the very near future, if we can land a couple of those guys.

Agreed. And skilled offensive talent loves playing with a high caliber QB. With Dungey here for potentially three more years, I think we're going to continue to see better skilled offensive talent coming here these next few years. Book it.

Agreed. And skilled offensive talent loves playing with a high caliber QB. With Dungey here for potentially three more years, I think we're going to continue to see better skilled offensive talent coming here these next few years. Book it.
Yup. I mean heck, one of the things Chris Clark specifically mentioned after his visit was the fact that we "have a good young quarterback."

Yup. I mean heck, one of the things Chris Clark specifically mentioned after his visit was the fact that we "have a good young quarterback."

I'll be incredibly disappointed / surprised if we don't land Clark and that four star WR from Plant. The class of 2017 is looking really strong [early], and I think we'll see the spillover effect with defensive recruits, too.

We're on the rise!

How important was it for Lester to pan out? This might not have been the offense I would have selected on paper, but I am really enjoying it. It is cool to have a semi-unique offensive identity that is exciting to watch. Been a long time.

With so many comments similar to what was said about Womack. What makes this kid different?

With so many comments similar to what was said about Womack. What makes this kid different?
I don't really see any comparison, to be honest. Womack was from the middle of nowhere, and didn't have a single offer until after signing day had already passed. Scott had offers, albeit smaller ones, and was the player of the year for the entire state in the largest class in Louisiana. He's a known player, and you've got writers from down in that area all raving about him and saying he's a guy who, if he was 6-2 instead of 5-11, would be headed to LSU or someplace similar, and that he's severely overlooked all because of his height.

Another point to the fact that he's a known commodity: when his team played on ESPNU, he was one of the spotlight players throughout the broadcast, in that he was the guy they had graphics created for, etc.

jekelish said:
I don't really see any comparison, to be honest. Womack was from the middle of nowhere, and didn't have a single offer until after signing day had already passed. Scott had offers, albeit smaller ones, and was the player of the year for the entire state in the largest class in Louisiana. He's a known player, and you've got writers from down in that area all raving about him and saying he's a guy who, if he was 6-2 instead of 5-11, would be headed to LSU or someplace similar, and that he's severely overlooked all because of his height.

Not talking about offers. Talking about how he plays. Seems awful similar to Womack and many of the comments on here sound similar. Early on in his recruiting people even said he was more athlete than QB and might play another position (which happened to Womack).

Not talking about offers. Talking about how he plays. Seems awful similar to Womack and many of the comments on here sound similar. Early on in his recruiting people even said he was more athlete than QB and might play another position (which happened to Womack).
Yes, there's a similarity. But I think, while he might wind up at DB down the road, he's a better passer than Womack. Womack's throwing motion always seemed a little wacky to me (I always thought it looked like he was a clearly a baseball player trying to play QB, since his delivery was pretty similar to a baseball throwing motion).

I don't see the correlation beyond stature. Womack was a phenomenal athlete, so some were clamoring for him to get a shot at QB because of how dynamic he was, but his throwing mechanics weren't as far advanced as his natural athleticism. Scott seems highly refined and a player with superb accuracy. Comparable size, but that's about where the similarities begin and end.

RF2044 said:
I don't see the correlation beyond stature. Womack was a phenomenal athlete, so some were clamoring for him to get a shot at QB because of how dynamic he was, but his throwing mechanics weren't as far advanced as his natural athleticism. Scott seems highly refined and a player with superb accuracy. Comparable size, but that's about where the similarities begin and end.

Very similar. Only Womack is a bit taller. Even throwing motion was questioned by a couple posters here and playing another position. Many comments on Scott are the same kind made about Womack. Do you forget how many people were high on Womack and that he'd be our next QB? This kid may stick at QB or he may be a DB or WR. Personally I don't like short QBs. But we'll see.

Very similar. Only Womack is a bit taller. Even throwing motion was questioned by a couple posters here and playing another position. Many comments on Scott are the same kind made about Womack. Do you forget how many people were high on Womack and that he'd be our next QB? This kid may stick at QB or he may be a DB or WR. Personally I don't like short QBs. But we'll see.

I remember how people wanted Womack because they were desperate to see a good athlete playing QB.

I don't like short QBs either, but I think it is important to recognize that this is college, not the NFL. QBs Scott's size can thrive in college if they are accurate passers. Like you said, we'll see. Doesn't remotely matter to me which QB pans out, hopefully either Scott or Culpepper will be capable of succeeding Dungey down the road.

RF2044 said:
I remember how people wanted Womack because they were desperate to see a good athlete playing QB. I don't like short QBs either, but I think it is important to recognize that this is college, not the NFL. QBs Scott's size can thrive in college. LIke you said, we'll see. Doesn't remotely matter to me which QB pans out, hopefully either Scott or Culpepper will be capable of succeeding Dungey down the road.

That's how I feel. Don't care who it is, just glad we seem to have options.

I did a quick look at the Womack recruiting thread. Names mentioned were McPherson, Graves, Pat White, the Boykins kid. So some were very high in him and loved his athleticism. But since he's moved to WR, I hope Scott sticks at QB and along with Culpepper and Long we have some depth.

rrlbees said:
That's how I feel. Don't care who it is, just glad we seem to have options. I did a quick look at the Womack recruiting thread. Names mentioned were McPherson, Graves, Pat White, the Boykins kid. So some were very high in him and loved his athleticism. But since he's moved to WR, I hope Scott sticks at QB and along with Culpepper and Long we have some depth.

Who we like and don't like and comments here really don't matter all that much. Half the fun of recruiting is getting amped about potential. It almost never gets as good as the people we compare them to - but it's fun to try.

The opinion that does matter is Tim Lesters. His opinion is carrying a lot more weight these days.

TheCusian said:
Who we like and don't like and comments here really don't matter all that much. Half the fun of recruiting is getting amped about potential. It almost never gets as good as the people we compare them to - but it's fun to try. The opinion that does matter is Tim Lesters. His opinion is carrying a lot more weight these days.

Huh?