Class of 2016 - QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED

jekelish

Living Legend
One of the new "mystery" names at QB is Rex Culpepper. He's on the front page of the Syracuse Skowt site now, so I guess he's fair game to openly mention by name.

6-3, 220, his dad is Brad Culpepper, who played for Tampa Bay on the defensive line, and his mom is Monica Culpepper, who fans of Survivor will remember because she was on...two seasons, I think? Either way, I have a feeling if Rex commits here, his mother will be very popular among the male fans. She's not exactly unattractive.

3-star recruit, with a good offer list (Florida, Miami, among others). The article on Skowt is a premium article so I won't get into details, but yes, he's definitely a realistic (and interested) prospect.

Last edited:
Offers include: Florida, Clemson, Miami, Mississippi State, NC State, Ohio State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Plant is a great school to make connections with. Same school Aaron Murray came from, he turned out to be pretty good.

Last edited:
It's funny - about a week ago, I retweeted one of Jake Moreland's tweets about how bright the future is for Syracuse football. Monica Culpepper favorited my retweet (which was odd since she doesn't follow me), and I was COMPLETELY baffled as to what her interest in a Jake Moreland tweet about SU football could be. I didn't even realize they had a '16 recruit for a son. Now I know why she's excited about SU football.

rhyil.gif

getuid

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/hometeam-huddle-familiarity-under-center-plant/22742/

HomeTeam Huddle: Familiarity under center for Plant
Search

Mon. May 25, 2015 | Kelly Parsons

blog%2Fimages%2Flead%2FTP_394121_JONE_4_hil_huddle.JPG

TAMPA — Plant may be known for its line of successful quarterbacks, but lately those quarterbacks have been one and done, starting for one year as a senior before graduating.

Rex Culpepper breaks that streak. For the first time since Toledo quarterback Phillip Ely returned as the starter in 2010, the Panthers will have a familiar face under center.

That’s a fact that made spring a whole lot easier, coach Robert Weiner said.

Culpepper, who threw for 2,016 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior, has made improvements in the weight room and added 10 pounds in the offseason to fill out his 6-foot-3 frame.

Weiner looks forward to Culpepper, who ran for 279 yards in 2014, being a greater force this fall in the run game. And though the offensive line returns just one starter, offensive tackle Cameron Calderon said Culpepper’s experience has helped the new line adapt.

“He knows what’s going on. He knows it like the back of his hand,” he said. “For us, four out of five of us not having the experience of playing last year, we’ve got a quarterback that can help us if we need it.”

But just because Culpepper isn’t tasked with learning a new offense doesn’t mean the work has stopped. Weiner said he’s seen the biggest change in the quarterback’s mental game from last season. And that increased focus, he said, will only help Culpepper continue to get better.

“The reason you climb a mountain is not to get to the top, the reason you climb a mountain is because now you can see bigger mountains on the other side that you couldn’t see from the valley before,” Weiner said. “And that’s where we are with him.”

Culpepper’s new target

Even with a first-year starting quarterback in Culpepper, Plant still lit up the field through the air last season, averaging 168 yards receiving per game. This year, the Panthers could have been in trouble, as they said goodbye to their top five receivers — a group that accounted for 84 percent of the team’s receiving yards.

Then, Juwan Burgess walked through the door.

The 6-foot, 175-pound wide receiver and safety spent his first two seasons at Blake before transferring to Plant this offseason because of “family issues.”

And though the rising junior came from a program that has won just four games in the past two years to one that owns four state championships, Culpepper said his new teammate has fit right in.

“The best thing about Juwan is his attitude. He’s always excited, he’s always positive. He always wants to know more and more and more,” Culpepper said. “He came right in the middle of workouts and one workout in he was already the guy in the middle of the weight room hooting and hollering.”

Burgess has 12 offers, including ones from Clemson, Florida, Florida State and Ohio State. Last season with the Yellow Jackets, Burgess had just one reception for 42 yards, making a bigger impact on the defensive side.

But this year, in a new environment surrounded by other Division I-caliber athletes, Burgess knows the sky is the limit.

“I want to set the record for most yards, most catches, most touchdowns,” he said. “I just want to be on top of the books.”

Weiner said the new Panther has adapted well and has really shined in the weight room. And though he plans to use his talents on both sides of the ball, Weiner is particularly excited to see what Culpepper and Burgess can accomplish when they join forces.

“I sit up at night and scheme up new things,” said Weiner, laughing. “As long as our guys can learn them, physically it’s going to be good.”

Free article and Video.

Article is from a month ago, so hopefully things have changed.

Additionally, with offers from OSU, Clemson, Florida and Florida St., I would be more than happy with this kid after losing out on Brown.

Kid is a player and so were a few of his skill position players in that film. Any of those wr's land on scholarship anywhere? Specifically number 8 at wr and number 1 as h-back/rb.

edit- just got to work and checked the other players that stood out on the hudl clip. #8 committed to Kentucky and #1 to USF.

Last edited:
I just watched his HUDL video, and he definitely looks like a good prospect. He actually reminds me vaguely of Nassib.

I will say, and I'm certainly no expert on throwing mechanics, but he doesn't appear to have a particularly fluid throwing motion on his deeper passes in particular. Almost looks like he's got a little bit of a hitch in it or something. Something that could easily be fixed, obviously, but he looks a little stiff on some of his throws.

Still looks like a very good prospect. Great size, and definitely looks like he's got a strong arm, and his touch looks good as well. Runs it a little better than I expected.

Offers include: Florida, Clemson, Miami, Mississippi State, NC State, Ohio State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Robert Washington aside, with that offer list, ...

Kids already got the build of a college QB, he is going to be a monster once he gets into a college weight program.

I think he is very realistic based on the . . . . . article. Plus his mom seems to like Syracuse a lot!
Yeah, that article makes it seem like this is very realistic. And yeah - his mom has been favoriting a bunch of Syracuse related stuff all morning. She even sent me some photos of Rex for some SU edits.

I think he is very realistic based on the . . . . . article. Plus his mom seems to like Syracuse a lot!

I wonder why. She's from Tampa and went to UF.

Maybe they were impressed by the beat down in the Dome?

I did like her on Survivor ...

I like the video. Great size. Hard to bring down while running. Great timing on his throws. And looks to have great arm strength. I think he would be a nice addition to the group of QBs we have coming in 2015 and provide a different type of QB for Lester to work with.

Also this sounds strange but who is #8?? He flashes big time in this video.