Class of 2016 - QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED

Great get. This staff understands our strenghts as a program and has turned us into a national recruiting school. Give these guys the time they need as they are perfect at representing Syracuse. I want them to have another 5 years and if so we are going to be very glad that we did.

This is just speculation but...

His offers are all real but I think maybe school's QB slots started filling up and he got left standing when the music stopped.

We saw the chance to land him and started going hard and he quickly moved ahead of Brown. His family is savvy enough to see the opportunity Cuse provides in the ACC and it's a win/win

I don't know about "left standing" -- its only June, after all.

But I think there is some validity to the notion that he might not have had a commitable offer at some of those schools, as they may have prioritized higher rated prospects.

Regardless, we haven't landed a QB with those type of offers in a LONG time. That's pretty exciting--doesn't mean that the kid is guaranteed to pan out, but it DOES suggest that he's cut from a slightly different cloth than what we're accustomed to post-McNabb.

A LOT of factors go into whether players pan out, let alone excel at the collegiate level, and QBs are no sure thing. But all else being equal, I'd rather have more highly rated players than guys that nobody else is recruiting and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't understand how our belief that Culpepper's a better prospect/higher choice for the staff than Brown is laughable?. I get it, Brown got the early attention. But Culpepper seems to play better competition and has gained offers/interest from more well established and respected programs. I mean Brown has been going off in camps/competitions but he still isn't looking at OSU/Florida and Clemson offers. Safe to say Culpepper wasn't the A option for those schools but it's immensely impressive nonetheless. At this point, I'm happy we missed Brown and grabbed Culpepper.

I am ecstatic to land a QBs from areas that play football year round. Being a top athlete can do wonders but QB is really a spot where you can't make up for reps. Good reason to believe Rex and the gent from Bama will be ready to play earlier than their counterparts from NY, PA, and NE have been in recent memory.

First time I've ever had a post deleted... I don't know if I should be proud or nervous. Haha and I'm not even sure why exactly!

I am ecstatic to land a QBs from areas that play football year round. Being a top athlete can do wonders but QB is really a spot where you can't make up for reps. Good reason to believe Rex and the gent from Bama will be ready to play earlier than their counterparts from NY, PA, and NE have been in recent memory.

That's a good point, IO.

I always felt the same way when we landed players from Ohio [Reyes, Smith, etc.]. Even B-listers [compared to the elite recruits] from states like Florida, Ohio, Texas, and California can ALL play.

Really can't wait to see what this kid can bring to the table. Would love to see someone like CIL or Jack Bauer [get well soon] do an evaluation on Culpepper.

I have never seen a recruiting website writer come in another board and spout off. Very unprofessional.
I thought I saw that. Now I know I'm not crazy. I had a zippy reply all lined up for him too.

I thought I saw that. Now I know I'm not crazy. I had a zippy reply all lined up for him too.

"Why hello Scott *****, one of those idiot writers from Rvals. I'm Trueblue25"

I have never seen a recruiting website writer come in another board and spout off. Very unprofessional.
My favorite part was still the insistence that incorrectly saying Rex doesn't have a Florida offer is considered "insider information."

Anyway, moving on and back to Rex. Who has a Florida offer.

Wow I missed a LOT today! Ecstatic about the commit from REX! Welcome to the ORANGE FAM Culpeppers!

My favorite part was still the insistence that incorrectly saying Rex doesn't have a Florida offer is considered "insider information."

Anyway, moving on and back to Rex. Who has a Florida offer.
Holy cow, like you mentioned earlier. The similarities are unreal...Rex is Nassib 2.0! They say the next version fixes all the bugs in the old version. And Nassib 1.0 was a pretty darn good college QB. High Character parents, athletic kid that they say is a leader. Pumped!!

Plant is among the best programs in Hillsborough county...

Being here in the Tampa area I would have to agree. Plant would be a great school to get some in-roads established. It would also be nice to get some in-roads established at Armwood as well with getting Hofrichter. These two schools are football factories.

Holy cow, like you mentioned earlier. The similarities are unreal...Rex is Nassib 2.0! They say the next version fixes all the bugs in the old version. And Nassib 1.0 was a pretty darn good college QB. High Character parents, athletic kid that they say is a leader. Pumped!!
Don't forget straight A student and Eagle Skout.

So with Rex's verbal, I decided to take a look at the 2 47 composite rankings.

The not so awesome first glance had us move from #68 > #65. But as last years high ranking early reminded me - they do this list based on point values of the player AND # of recruits. Last year we had a ton of early verbals putting us in the 20-30 range nationally. Of course we dropped as everyone else caught up to round out their classes. (To be clear - I love last years class and think a lot of them were/are underrated.) I figured it might be more helpful to look at the average point rating of our recruits.

Our average was 83.26 for 2014 (9th in the ACC by avg)
Our average was 82.69 for 2015 (14th in the ACC by avg)
So far in 2016 with only 4 guys our avg is 85.37 (6th in the ACC by avg) - and that's with RW44's loss of a star mysteriously from Reevals

I'm not super-confident it will stay that high - but it does point out that we are off to a really nice start. If things continue on this trajectory, we're looking at a nice jump nationally - maybe a top 25-30 class. Long way to go - but interesting none the less.

You do realize that these vids are done by members of the fanbase and the Culpeppers really liked them?
Thats all that matters absolutely..but i wanted to jump off a bridge when the video first started. haha

So with Rex's verbal, I decided to take a look at the 2 47 composite rankings.

The not so awesome first glance had us move from #68 > #65. But as last years high ranking early reminded me - they do this list based on point values of the player AND # of recruits. Last year we had a ton of early verbals putting us in the 20-30 range nationally. Of course we dropped as everyone else caught up to round out their classes. (To be clear - I love last years class and think a lot of them were/are underrated.) I figured it might be more helpful to look at the average point rating of our recruits.

Our average was 83.26 for 2014 (9th in the ACC by avg)
Our average was 82.69 for 2015 (14th in the ACC by avg)
So far in 2016 with only 4 guys our avg is 85.37 (6th in the ACC by avg) - and that's with RW44's loss of a star mysteriously from Reevals

I'm not super-confident it will stay that high - but it does point out that we are off to a really nice start. If things continue on this trajectory, we're looking at a nice jump nationally - maybe a top 25-30 class. Long way to go - but interesting none the less.
As long as the slow pace commits brings in these kind of results I am all for a snail's pace on landing them...We will be fine in the end

Last edited: