Class of 2016 - QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED

I was doing some digging and think I have figured out the issue with the Florida offer. He hAd an offer before 2014 season. I found an old article showing him talking about the offer. Perhaps the new staff wasn't honoring the offer or didn't know it was out there.

image.jpg
I can't attach the link for some reason but here is the beginning

Bam's article is from the Tampa Bay Times dated December 04, 2014.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/foot...-culpepper-weighs-in-on-coaching-hire/2209038

Plant High School junior quarterback Rex Culpepper, who counts Florida among his 12 Division I offers, talked about the coaching change for the Gators. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder comes from a line of Florida alums. His father, former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Brad Culpepper, played there, as did his grandfather. Culpepper finished his first varsity season passing for more than 2,000 yards and 20 touchdowns.

But I'm sure rovals sources are better.

mark it down. 3 star 5.6 rating from rovals
They already downgraded him from the 12th best QB to 15th best not too long ago. Right around the time he started getting serious about SU, if I'm not mistaken.

Plant QB Rex Culpepper settles on Syracuse

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/plant-qb-rex-culpepper-settles-on-syracuse/2233011

Plant QB settles on Syracuse

Plant quarterback Rex Culpepper has committed to Syracuse, coach Robert Weiner confirmed Tuesday. The rising senior chose the Orangemen over 16 other Division I offers.

Culpepper, a 6-foot-3, 225-pounder, threw for 2,016 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, leading Plant to a Class 8A region semifinal before the Panthers fell to Orlando Dr. Phillips. He'll be Plant's first returning starter under center since Philip Ely returned for his senior season in 2010.

The son of former Florida and Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Brad Culpepper, Rex had nearly as many Division I offers as completions before starting his first varsity game for Plant. He committed to Syracuse after a trip to the campus with his family and Weiner. He also has offers from state schools Miami, Florida and USF.

Kelly Parsons, Times staff writer

what will Florida do at QB in 2016?

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/5...maryland-terrapins-florida-gators-quarterback

Other logical targets would include Pass, Barrett, and Gaines; the latter two are in-state studs, and Pass is from Columbus, Georgia, well within a day's drive of Florida. And then there's perhaps the most logical Florida commit at quarterback in 2016, Tampa Plant passer Rex Culpepper, son of Gators great Brad. Florida's struggles to land prospects from Plant are the stuff of legend among avid recruiting watchers — it is a fortress the Gators haven't been able to infiltrate of late, and inspires knowing groans among Florida fans like the mention of Seffner's Armwood High does for Florida State fans — but if any Plant player could logically end up at Florida, the son of a prominent Gators player would seem a good bet.

The Tampa Tribune - June 5, 2014

http://tbo.com/sports/blogs/hillsbo...s-flowing-in-for-plant-qb-culpepper-20140605/

Offers flowing in for Plant QB Culpepper

Of all the great quarterbacks who have come through Plant High since head coach Robert Weiner took over in 2004, none have received as many college offers as a sophomore as Rex Culpepper, the Panthers’ quarterback heir apparent for the next two years.

So far, Culpepper has received offers from Florida, Miami, Ohio State, Clemson, Utah, Cincinnati, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina State and South Florida.

The attraction to Culpepper includes many things: His 6-foot-3, 220-pound frame, his arm (can throw a football 70 yards), accuracy, speed, strength, durability, leadership qualities and genes (dad Brad Culpepper played in the NFL).

Last year as a sophomore, Culpepper’s experience was limited while Colby Brown played out his senior year. Culpepper, however, had an outstanding spring and his stock has shot up as expected.

Culpepper follows a long list of great Plant quarterbacks, including four who have won four state titles in the past eight seasons: Robert Marve (state title 2006), Aaron Murray (2008), Phillip Ely (2009) and James Few (2011).

Feb 24, 2015

http://clemson.247sports.com/Bolt/Culpepper-isnt-afraid-of-competition--35838917

Culpepper isn't afraid of competition

Rex Culpepper
(Tampa, Fla./Plant) is the next outstanding quarterback prospect from head coach Robert Weiner's program in Hillsborough County, Fla.
The 6-foot-3, 216-pound Florida legacy, the son of former Gators and NFL defensive tackle Brad Culpepper, is following in the footsteps of Plant signal callers like Aaron Murray, Robert Marve and other FBS-level signal callers that the school has produced over the years.

Florida, Ohio State and Clemson have been recruiting him the hardest.

Culpepper says that he plans to head to Gainesville soon.

"I definitely want to go to Florida and meet the new coaching staff," he said. "During spring break, I will look into the colleges that are showing me interest. It's such an honor to get attention from schools. I met (new Florida head coach) Jim McElwain and I liked him. My dad went to Florida and I grew up a Florida fan, going to games and following that program. But now during the recruiting process, everything is sort of even."

As for the Tigers and Buckeyes, they are also showing attention.

"Clemson is always around," Culpepper said. "They landed Jake Fruhmorgen and Ray-Ray McCloud III out of the area. They already have a lot of Tampa guys, so it already feels like family there."

A trip to check out the Tigers could be in the cards this spring.

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer, who knows the Culpepper family from his days as Florida's head coach, gave the signal caller a lofty comparison.

"I spoke to (Meyer) before and he compared me to (former Meyer quarterback and No. 1 pick out of Utah) Alex Smith," he said. "He said if I am that type of guy I am the type of guy that he wants."

While several programs (including Clemson) already have quarterbacks committed for the 2016 recruiting cycle, Culpepper said he's not in a hurry to grab a spot.

"I want to wait until after spring practices," he said. "I don't want to make a decision based on what other people do. I am not afraid of competition. I am not afraid of going to a school and competing for a job."

Culpepper is the No. 25 pro-style quarterback prospect in the 2016 class per 247Sports Composite rankings.

5 Top-Performing QB Recruits from 2015 Orlando Elite 11 Regional

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-recruits-from-2015-orlando-elite-11-regional

MARCH 2, 2015

#1 Felip Franks

#2 Ervin Barrett

#3 David Moore

#4 Rex Culpepper

Hometown: Tampa, Florida

Size: 6'3", 210 lbs

247 national rank: No. 534 (No. 26 pro-style QB)

One look at Rex Culpepper shows that he looks the part of a next-level QB. He's got good size and a strong arm, and on Sunday his talent got him into the Pressure Chamber. As the son of former Florida Gators and NFL defensive tackle Brad Culpepper, he also knows the mental challenges in becoming a next-level athlete.

Culpepper has double-digit offers, and while some might think he'll follow his father's footsteps to Florida, schools like Clemson and Ohio State have made major pushes to land him. Culpepper told Ryan Bartow of 247Sports that he plans on visiting Gainesville soon.

#5 Chris Oladokun

MARCH 5, 2015

http://florida.247sports.com/Article/QB-Rex-Culpepper-eyeing-summer-commitment-36008457

QB Culpepper eyeing summer commitment

“I think I’m going to make a decision this summer,” Culpepper said. “The longer I wait, the more possibilities get taken up by other commits. I hate how it has to be so early because I can’t do a thorough job of going around like I want to do, but that’s how it is.”

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound prospect named three schools he is in regular contact with at this time.

“Virginia Tech has spoken to coach a lot, Ohio State, I have a pretty good relationship with Urban Meyer, Florida, I love the new Florida coach. The second day he was hired, he actually came to Plant, so that was really cool. Those are probably the top three I hear from the most.”

As the son of Gator great Brad Culpepper, becoming a priority of Florida's would be an ‘honor’ for the younger Culpepper.

“It would be a total honor if the new staff came in and I was the first quarterback that they offered. That basically means they want to build the program around me and that would be stupendous. That would be a great honor.

I’ve grown up a huge Florida fan…Both my parents went there, so it’s pretty much my dream school.”

For the time being, Culpepper does not have any spring visits planned.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, ranks Culpepper as the nation’s No. 26 pro-style quarterback and the No. 73 player in the state of Florida for the 2016 class.

That's a good point, IO.

I always felt the same way when we landed players from Ohio [Reyes, Smith, etc.]. Even B-listers [compared to the elite recruits] from states like Florida, Ohio, Texas, and California can ALL play.

Really can't wait to see what this kid can bring to the table. Would love to see someone like CIL or Jack Bauer [get well soon] do an evaluation on Culpepper.

I am going to at least one (maybe 2) of Washington's games. I will give the best evaluation I can. I only wish I was a recruiter. It would be great to get a personal perspective on Culpepper and others. I am not complaining because most of you post much more info than I do. Mount Holly is only about 30 minutes from where I live. Southlake would have been closer but oh well. My son wants a pic of he and Robert together. I would like to thank all of you for all of the valuable info have posted. People that aren't SU fans don't completely understand.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2015

http://clemson.No links to . . . allowed on this site.com/Bolt/Culpepper-isnt-afraid-of-competition--35838917

Culpepper isn't afraid of competition

Rex Culpepper
(Tampa, Fla./Plant) is the next outstanding quarterback prospect from head coach Robert Weiner's program in Hillsborough County, Fla.
The 6-foot-3, 216-pound Florida legacy, the son of former Gators and NFL defensive tackle Brad Culpepper, is following in the footsteps of Plant signal callers like Aaron Murray, Robert Marve and other FBS-level signal callers that the school has produced over the years.

Florida, Ohio State and Clemson have been recruiting him the hardest.

Culpepper says that he plans to head to Gainesville soon.

"I definitely want to go to Florida and meet the new coaching staff," he said. "During spring break, I will look into the colleges that are showing me interest. It's such an honor to get attention from schools. I met (new Florida head coach) Jim McElwain and I liked him. My dad went to Florida and I grew up a Florida fan, going to games and following that program. But now during the recruiting process, everything is sort of even."

As for the Tigers and Buckeyes, they are also showing attention.

"Clemson is always around," Culpepper said. "They landed Jake Fruhmorgen and Ray-Ray McCloud III out of the area. They already have a lot of Tampa guys, so it already feels like family there."

A trip to check out the Tigers could be in the cards this spring.

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer, who knows the Culpepper family from his days as Florida's head coach, gave the signal caller a lofty comparison.

"I spoke to (Meyer) before and he compared me to (former Meyer quarterback and No. 1 pick out of Utah) Alex Smith," he said. "He said if I am that type of guy I am the type of guy that he wants."

While several programs (including Clemson) already have quarterbacks committed for the 2016 recruiting cycle, Culpepper said he's not in a hurry to grab a spot.

"I want to wait until after spring practices," he said. "I don't want to make a decision based on what other people do. I am not afraid of competition. I am not afraid of going to a school and competing for a job."

Culpepper is the No. 25 pro-style quarterback prospect in the 2016 class per No links to . . . allowed on this site Composite rankings.
If his whole family, fellow teammate and coach did not come with him, I would be much more nervous. I know it is his decision, but I can't see his father allowing him to get wishy washy unless something drastic occurs.