Class of 2016 - QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Rex Culpepper (FL) SIGNED LOI/ENROLLED

Yeah, no sh**. So what?

Love people immediately jumping in and trying to throw cold water on everything. Good lord dude.
I myself wondered if it was binding. Looked it up since I didn't see it posted in the article. Found the answer and posted in case anyone else was wondering. Relax.

I myself wondered if it was binding. Looked it up since I didn't see it posted in the article. Found the answer and posted in case anyone else was wondering. Relax.
Ah, gotcha. I should have listened to Frankie.

(rimshot)

But anyway - the big thing here is that now that Rex has signed this, the staff can have unlimited contact with him.

"Several big-resource schools showed interest in the Tampa quarterback, so when Culpepper signed and sent in his financial aid agreement to Syracuse this week, it gave Shafer plenty of reason to smile."

First time I've seen "big-resource" used to describe some schools.

Hey Rex -

I know you and the family love Shaf and the staff, and so do I, BUT... even if Shafer and his staff are shown the door after this season I hope you realize you still have an incredible opportunity here at The Cuse regardless of who the next coach is.

We're loaded up on young talent, we're about to announce a Billion dollar Dome Reno / University upgrade, and the odds that our current Frosh QB will not be DQ'd due to concussions is very, very slim. You have a real shot to be a 4 year starter here and if you're the man under center when NY's College team is back to the Big Time ...

...I'll let you finish that sentence for yourself ; )

Hey Rex -

I know you and the family love Shaf and the staff, and so do I, BUT... even if Shafer and his staff are shown the door after this season I hope you realize you still have an incredible opportunity here at The Cuse regardless of who the next coach is.

We're loaded up on young talent, we're about to announce a Billion dollar Dome Reno / University upgrade, and the odds that our current Frosh QB will not be DQ'd due to concussions is very, very slim. You have a real shot to be a 4 year starter here and if you're the man under center when NY's College team is back to the Big Time ...

...I'll let you finish that sentence for yourself ; )
Syracuse Football will survive w/o Rex.

Weird post.

QB'ing is wildly important in collegiate football. Here's hoping that either Dungey, Rex, or Scott are the long term answer.

It's not a question of survival but when the dust settles Rex has an incredibly clear path to be the starting QB here. I just hope the Culpeppers don't let their affection for Shafer cloud their decision making if a change is made.

Isn't he considered signed, sealed and delivered? If he decided to go elsewhere, he would have to sit out a year, right?

Isn't he considered signed, sealed and delivered? If he decided to go elsewhere, he would have to sit out a year, right?
Nope. He signed papers binding the school to him, but not him to the school.

Essentially, if Shafer gets fired, and he still wants to come, the new coach has no choice but to take him, even if he doesn't. However Rex could decide to go wherever he wants if Shafer is fired.

I still expect him to be here regardless of Shafer, he's one of the guys I expect is solid regardless

Essentially, if Shafer gets fired, and he still wants to come, the new coach has no choice but to take him, even if he doesn't. However Rex could decide to go wherever he wants if Shafer is fired.

I still expect him to be here regardless of Shafer, he's one of the guys I expect is solid regardless

Thanks for the clarification.

He's actually at the top of the list of guys I expect to decommit if Shafer is fired, to be honest. Both he and Scoop. I hope not, but I'm expecting it.

Jek do you think a guy like Frost, who is considered a young offensive guru, would be able to keep Rex(and hopefully Scoop) from bolting?

Being realistic, this would be our 4th coach in 9 years. For parents sending their sons to school to play football, a revolving door wouldn't be an appealing option. Recruiting will be even harder in the future, because all the schools will use that against us.

He's actually at the top of the list of guys I expect to decommit if Shafer is fired, to be honest. Both he and Scoop. I hope not, but I'm expecting it.
I'm of the mindset Scoop will follow Rex if his coach will allow the chance.

I know Rex is a huge fan of the family atmosphere (which we can assume is supposed to go away if Shafer moves on, but it might not if we bring in the right guy.) but I think he looks at this as a place he can be a starter and quickly. Aside from Dungey, who worries you on this roster? And Dungey is on the fast track to an early retirement. This last injury (potential concussion) must be bad for him to be out for two weeks and I haven't seen much from anywhere projecting his ability to play next week yet. If Rex wants to play early at a P5 how many other places does he have that provide him that opportunity right now, other than here

I'm expecting the entire class to re-open if Shafer is let go. Not sure why anyone would expect different? The new staff will re-recruit some of these kids and completely pass on others.

New coach might not want him. He's a pocket passer.
A new coach can't afford to be that stupid. Rex can move with his legs a lot like Dungey if you watch his videos The up side for a pocket passer is they know what they are doing when dropping back. Looking for a receiver and making quick decisions with a quick release. I look at a kid like AJ and he took the snap looked up and tucked and ran.nHe wasn't good at either of the two choices. Mahoney is lights out better . at both Dungey and Rex are far better future QBs IMHO.

New coach might not want him. He's a pocket passer.

With Rex signing those papers, if the new coach doesn't want him, Rex can still come with his scholarship intact. However, I'd imagine if the new coach tells him he can sit the metal for four years, he won't come back

A new coach can't afford to be that stupid. Rex can move with his legs a lot like Dungey if you watch his videos The up side for a pocket passer is they know what they are doing when dropping back. Looking for a receiver and making quick decisions with a quick release. I look at a kid like AJ and he took the snap looked up and tucked and ran.nHe wasn't good at either of the two choices. Mahoney is lights out better . at both Dungey and Rex are far better future QBs IMHO.

The QB roster is shot right now so I agree somewhat, but a new coach wouldn't be stupid but if a QB doesn't fit his system. What's he to do if he wants an athletic running QB?

We're in a real bad spot regards to QB's and a new coach coming in if that's what happens. it's a hurt Dungey, a walkon and Austin Wilson. Mahoney thankfully can work on and improve his shortcomings. He's tall enough, big enough, fast enough, he just needs to improve the accuracy. Wilson is a career backup. We might actually end up being blessed if Hunt gets that 6th year.