Class of 2016 - QB Sawyer Smith (FL) verbal to Troy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Sawyer Smith (FL) verbal to Troy

I think this is a year where we would be OK not taking a QB. We will have 2 RS freshman (Dungey / Womack), a RS junior (Long) and a senior (Wilson). Am I missing anyone else we'll have at QB?

I think this is a year where we would be OK not taking a QB. We will have 2 RS freshman (Dungey / Womack), a RS junior (Long) and a senior (Wilson). Am I missing anyone else we'll have at QB?
I'd like to take at least one QB, to redshirt and make sure we have guys with some talent in the system. You can never have enough talented kids. Again, just look at last year. Four QBs should be more than enough, but I'd love depth.

And are we counting Zach Mahoney on the depth chart?

Anyway...Moore/Smith/Brotzki, I have to think we get one of those three, with the pecking order being, well, Moore/Smith/Brotzki. After that, Hallenbeck and then maybe Jared Gerbino from Rush Henrietta.

Oh right Mahoney. Thats 5. There might also be someone that pops up later this year that is higher ranked if we get Moe, Colon and maybe the TX guys. If we have a 7 win season and our recruiting is going well I could see us swing for the fences with a few late season 4* attempts.

Oh right Mahoney. Thats 5. There might also be someone that pops up later this year that is higher ranked if we get Moe, Colon and maybe the TX guys. If we have a 7 win season and our recruiting is going well I could see us swing for the fences with a few late season 4* attempts.
I was told about a currently committed 3* QB who reached out to RW after he committed. Not gonna mention by name since I was told in confidence, and the staff doesn't seem to be really investigating him (yet). If and when they do, I'll post the name of course.

I was told about a currently committed 3* QB who reached out to RW after he committed. Not gonna mention by name since I was told in confidence, and the staff doesn't seem to be really investigating him (yet). If and when they do, I'll post the name of course.
RW has serious name brand pull with top kids. It just needs to hurry up and start making a difference on our commitment numbers.

It will, it's just a matter of when. Also with brown going elsewhere our staff should look into this kid too.

RW has serious name brand pull with top kids. It just needs to hurry up and start making a difference on our commitment numbers.

It will, it's just a matter of when. Also with brown going elsewhere our staff should look into this kid too.
He definitely does - but obviously he can't be the only draw. Going 3-9 last year hurt. If we had gone to a bowl game last year, I'm guessing we'd have seen some results by now. But it's still a bit of an uphill battle, even with RW. We'll get there, though.

EDIT: I just looked, and multiple SU coaches follow this unnamed 3-star QB on Twitter, so it seems they are very aware and may be reaching out to him on the down low.

jekelish said:
He definitely does - but obviously he can't be the only draw. Going 3-9 last year hurt. If we had gone to a bowl game last year, I'm guessing we'd have seen some results by now. But it's still a bit of an uphill battle, even with RW. We'll get there, though. EDIT: I just looked, and multiple SU coaches follow this unnamed 3-star QB on Twitter, so it seems they are very aware and may be reaching out to him on the down low.

Shafe needs a good class this year to keep his job if he's going to finish under .500.

He definitely does - but obviously he can't be the only draw. Going 3-9 last year hurt. If we had gone to a bowl game last year, I'm guessing we'd have seen some results by now. But it's still a bit of an uphill battle, even with RW. We'll get there, though.

EDIT: I just looked, and multiple SU coaches follow this unnamed 3-star QB on Twitter, so it seems they are very aware and may be reaching out to him on the down low.
Time to go sleuthing...

I'd like to take at least one QB, to redshirt and make sure we have guys with some talent in the system. You can never have enough talented kids. Again, just look at last year. Four QBs should be more than enough, but I'd love depth.

And are we counting Zach Mahoney on the depth chart?

Anyway...Moore/Smith/Brotzki, I have to think we get one of those three, with the pecking order being, well, Moore/Smith/Brotzki. After that, Hallenbeck and then maybe Jared Gerbino from Rush Henrietta.
If we take even one QB this year that doesn't have multiple P5 offers, I will be very very disappointed. Rather not take any.

I think the fact that a new AD is coming in does not help this staff at all on the trail. It creates uncertainty. No question a bowl last season would have helped a lot vs 3-9. Now about that mystery QB...

I think the fact that a new AD is coming in does not help this staff at all on the trail. It creates uncertainty. No question a bowl last season would have helped a lot vs 3-9. Now about that mystery QB...

A Rose by any other name would smell sweet to y'all. ;)

JrodCuse said:

My opinion is until you land on a solid head and shoulders above 4 year starter type player AND a reliable backup you always take one QB minimum per class. QB is the one position that touches the ball every down, bringing in or even getting lucky on an electric QB can change everything.

Once you have that player then you can take one class to stockpile at the other positions. Having an electric QB makes every other position easier to recruit and makes recruiting a QB very hard because QBs don't want to ride the pine or switch positions for playing time.

After watching his tape and even some of his baseball videos, I think this is a very underrated recruit. I don't think he's quite the prospect Dungey or KW are, yet, but I think he'd be a gem of a commit.

After watching his tape and even some of his baseball videos, I think this is a very underrated recruit. I don't think he's quite the prospect Dungey or KW are, yet, but I think he'd be a gem of a commit.

I like Smith just as much, if not more then Dungey. Pretty similar prospects. I have always liked Smith the most out of he, Brown, and Moore.

Never seemed like we were really that actively going after him. But it's weird that he decided on the exact same day that Skowt publishes an article in which he's quoted he wants to visit campus before deciding.

He sounded kind of lukewarm about even visiting us. No shock here. Ok, let's see what's next on the QB front.

He sounded kind of lukewarm about even visiting us. No shock here. Ok, let's see what's next on the QB front.
I think one of the names I was told awhile ago is about to come to the forefront. I hope so anyway, because I'm getting tired of not spilling the beans on his name (he's committed elsewhere).

jekelish said:
I think one of the names I was told awhile ago is about to come to the forefront. I hope so anyway, because I'm getting tired of not spilling the beans on his name (he's committed elsewhere).

Is he committed to a P5 school?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom