Class of 2016 - QB/TE (Jasen) Jay Rose (CT) Leaving UConn | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB/TE (Jasen) Jay Rose (CT) Leaving UConn

Solid offer list. Looks to have good size (6'3" or 6'4", 225) and solid SPARQ #'s. I'm guessing he's a TE recruit for us and not a QB??

Full disclosure, I have not watched the highlights. Assuming he's being recruited as a TE, what experience does he have at the position if he is throwing for 3,200 yards?

So no one knew this kid was visiting? And here I thought all the tight ends and quality kids with p5 offers had gone elsewhere and the sky was falling.

Kid has as good an offer list than any of the other tight ends

Last edited:
Full disclosure, I have not watched the highlights. Assuming he's being recruited as a TE, what experience does he have at the position if he is throwing for 3,200 yards?
He's really really fast. Does it all.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-jasen-rose-0621-20150620-story.html

The scholarship offers are piling up for Jasen Rose, just as the numbers did last season for the Southington quarterback.

After playing tight end for two years, the 6 feet 3, 225-pound Rose led the undefeated Blue Knights to their second consecutive Class LL state title in December.

Rose had an outstanding season with 3,190 passing yards and 47 touchdowns with only nine interceptions and that has led to serious interest among some top programs.

West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh and N.C. State are among the schools that have offered him a scholarship. So have Maryland, Boston College and UConn, his first offer.

"I don't really have a leader. I'm pretty balanced right now," Rose said. "But out of the list, there are probably a few of them out."

UConn is led by second-year coach Bob Diaco, who doesn't have a Power Five pin on his lapel but is trying to build the Huskies into an AAC power and keep state talent at home.

"It's unreal, I know, pretty crazy," said Rose, who threw four or more touchdown passes in nine of Southington's games last season, including five in a 49-0 state championship win over NFA.

He just might end up at Maryland, BC or UConn.

"I'd say it's a very good possibility," Rose said.

Maryland is recruiting Rose as a tight end. Boston College and UConn are recruiting Rose as a quarterback. And it doesn't matter that the Huskies received their first commitment of 2016 Thursday from a quarterback, Donovan Williams, from Virginia. The staff is well aware of the program's quarterback issues of the past and the ones it experienced last year, Diaco's first season.

The Huskies head into the summer trying to solidify the starting position among Bryant Shirreffs, a junior who transferred from N.C. State last year, had to sit out a season under NCAA rules and started the Blue-White spring game in April; senior Tim Boyle; sophomore Tyler Davis; and Garrett Anderson, a junior college transfer from California. They also have walk-on Brandon Bisack of Warde-Fairfield.

UConn coaches went across the state this spring as part of a commitment to maintain a relationship with every high school coach. Each coach had about 20 schools to hit.

Diaco, offensive coordinator Frank Verducci, co-defensive coordinator Anthony Poindexter and offensive line coach Mike Cummings have all been to Southington for Rose.

"It's a dream for everybody to play on a good team on TV with all the fans," Rose said. "But it's also a dream to represent your home town at a big D-I school, which is what UConn is, and that makes it pretty cool."

Rose has the criteria for the decision.

"Academics is going to be a big part; everybody who plays football doesn't make it to the NFL," Rose said. "Another big part is going to be the football program itself. Obviously if you're going into a losing program, you're going to want to turn that around. If you're going into a winning program, that's another plus. I want to like the school itself; nothing to do with football, just the school itself. I want to enjoy being there."

Rose isn't giving lip service to possibly staying home. He's very close to his family.

"UConn is definitely one of the schools," Southington coach Mike Drury said. "He's got all these offers, but they're the ones continually evaluating, talking all the time, 'Where are you? What are you thinking?' He's going to visit some places this summer, but UConn is continuously right up there at the top of his list of schools."

It's no secret the UConn staff was hoping it could land New Canaan defensive end Zach Allen in the 2015 class, but Allen committed to Northwestern in January. He has since changed his mind and committed to Boston College. Addazio, a Farmington native, was also one of the state's most successful high school coaches at Cheshire. He has many connections with Connecticut's high school coaches.

It is a wall UConn must penetrate, according to Drury and New Canaan's Lou Marinelli, one of the state's most respected coaches who had been critical of the attention UConn had paid to Fairfield County in the past.

"UConn is trying and going through a transition in the state so [Addazio] probably has a leg up for now in the state," Marinelli said.

Is he even interested in us at all and if so does anyone have any idea to what degree?

So being one of the last Tight Ends available would you use one of our last few schollies left on him?

I actually like that he has been a qb, I think gives him a greater understanding of route running, etc. I hope we can get him. Seems like a very quality pickup.
And considering we have used four quarterbacks in a single season why not have a fifth option for security purposes.