Question about Master's Degrees | Syracusefan.com

Question about Master's Degrees

PoppyHart

All American
If an athlete-student has been graduated from an undergraduate program but still possesses remaining eligibity:

1. Does he/she have to enroll in a Master's program?
2. Do his/her grades matter as far as APR is concerned?
3. If No on 2, isn't 1 moot?

From what I understand, yes and yes to both questions. I never understood why the NCAA requires a Master's since the student graduating with an undergrad degree is the goal.

If an athlete-student has been graduated from an undergraduate program but still possesses remaining eligibity:

1. Does he/she have to enroll in a Master's program?
2. Do his/her grades matter as far as APR is concerned?
3. If No on 2, isn't 1 moot?

Also, they way I heard the rules if Christmas wanted to he could play another year in college because of his graduate degree. But I'm not sure if it is true. Besides, he's most likely going to be a top 10 pick in the NBA draft.

1, Yes they have to be enrolled in grad school if they complete their undergrad degree and still have eligibility.
2. No, if the player graduates they have ZERO bearing on the APR because they have accomplished the directive of APR which is see kids graduate.
3. Your point is valid, but the NCAA is a cartel and they call these players "student-athletes" so the kids have to actually be taking class even if its one or two classes.

Remember in the 2005 CFB season at USC Matt Leinart completely all of his degree except 1 credit so the only class he took during the 2005 CFB season was ball room dancing. Schools/kids can game the system easily as long as the kid graduates.

Also, they way I heard the rules if Christmas wanted to he could play another year in college because of his graduate degree. But I'm not sure if it is true. Besides, he's most likely going to be a top 10 pick in the NBA draft.

I figured it out!! You're doing it on purpose. Well done sir, troll away.

200.gif

Admit it, you are like the Frank Abagnale of message board trolling; subtle, right down to the avatar, perfect.

I'm like Tom hanks, I hung in there on your tracks, reading all of your posts. Just waiting for you to slip up. Welp, you did and I caught you and damnit if I don't respect you for it.

Admit it, you are like the Frank Abagnale of message board trolling; subtle, right down to the avatar, perfect.

I'm like Tom hanks, I hung in there on your tracks, reading all of your posts. Just waiting for you to slip up. Welp, you did and I caught you and damnit if I don't respect you for it.

Don't care about your respect.

Kind of fun watching Louisville / NC State play in the Dome. Hearing "Anawaki just picked up his third foul" felt like old times!

Who is Frank Abagnale or is he part of your make believe world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264464/

The reason I make the comparison to you and Frank Abagnale is that I have long suspected that your posts are tongue-in-cheek or purposely disingenuous, but always written in a way that is so subtle I could not ever be totally sure. These people are called trolls. Your above post finally confirmed my suspicion - the one suggesting that Rak has another year of eligibility to finish his masters degree but that he would not stay as he will be a top 10 pick. Nobody who spends time on a Syracuse fan board believes either of those claims. So there it is, I caught you, I caught the best there ever was at the secret trolling game. You got cocky, took it slightly too far and now I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264464/

The reason I make the comparison to you and Frank Abagnale is that I have long suspected that your posts are tongue-in-cheek or purposely disingenuous, but always written in a way that is so subtle I could not ever be totally sure. These people are called trolls. Your above post finally confirmed my suspicion - the one suggesting that Rak has another year of eligibility to finish his masters degree but that he would not stay as he will be a top 10 pick. Nobody who spends time on a Syracuse fan board believes either of those claims. So there it is, I caught you, I caught the best there ever was at the secret trolling game. You got cocky, took it slightly too far and now I know.

I always thought trolls were people who posted negativity and hate. I don't think I'm a hater. I bleed Orange and I can't say anything bad about Jim Boeheim ever! My sense of humor may be warped. I'll give you that.

the one suggesting that Rak has another year of eligibility to finish his masters degree but that he would not stay as he will be a top 10 pick. Nobody who spends time on a Syracuse fan board believes either of those claims. So there it is, I caught you, I caught the best there ever was at the secret trolling game. You got cocky, took it slightly too far and now I know.

No, I'm not kidding. I really thought I read on Syracuse.com that there's a loophole in the rules where Rak could play a 5th year. I tried to find the reference but I could not sift though all the google hits. If I find it I will post the link.

I always thought trolls were people who posted negativity and hate. I don't think I'm a hater. I bleed Orange and I can't say anything bad about Jim Boeheim ever! My sense of humor may be warped. I'll give you that.

They don't have to be hateful, though that is the most popular type. Your type is much more rare. Quiet, subtle, not disruptive or looking for a reaction, you're a god damned artist.

They don't have to be hateful, though that is the most popular type. Your type is much more rare. Quiet, subtle, not disruptive or looking for a reaction, you're a god damned artist.

What the heck are you talking about. Christmas was awesome this year. I hope he goes early first round. The words I post do not have double meanings. How else can you interpret it?

Now I can't tell if you are serious or just super committed to your act...Well done

Care to make a wager? I'll even give you top 15 pick.

I will be moderately surprised if Rak goes in the first round.

And no, he can't play another season. You have 4 years of eligibility, that's it. There are no loopholes. The only way to stay longer is redshirting, but that's still not playing more than four years.

And you have to take graduate courses to keep playing because you can't play for the college unless you're a student at the college.

I will be moderately surprised if Rak goes in the first round.

And no, he can't play another season. You have 4 years of eligibility, that's it. There are no loopholes. The only way to stay longer is redshirting, but that's still not playing more than four years.

And you have to take graduate courses to keep playing because you can't play for the college unless you're a student at the college.

"Take" graduate courses or "enroll" in graduate courses?

I believe Malcolm Brogdon is currently pursuing his master's degree @ UVa, as he was a redshirt one year with injury... He is as far as I know, returning next year and playing for the Hoos... and I do believe grades matter...

Peter Sellers played an imbecile character named Chance in the movie "Being There". The President in the movie perceived him as a genius and everyone else followed suit. Sellers said it was the hardest role he ever played and was even nominated for an Oscar. It would have been an easier role for someone like Charles Barkley. This thread reminds me of that movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom