Question About Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Question About Recruiting

Pittsburgh mo

Walk On
Last Fall I E-Mailed, to the recruiting staff, the particulars of a 9th grade quarterback ,who I felt, would start this year for his AAAA team at QB as a Sophomore. He is starting and has totaled 1450 yards passing and rushing in 4 1/2 games. His coach sat the first team for 1/2 of the 4th game. In my E-Mail, I told the staff this QB would be the next great to come out of Western PA along the lines of Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana etc. I have enforced that E-Mail this Fall to the recruiting staff that we should offer this recruit as a Sophomore. Yesterday, both Pitt and Penn State offered full rides.

Not once have I heard from the recruiting staff that they even received my E-Mails. How are we supposed to build a program and recruit 5 star players, with no communication. By the way, I played for Syracuse in 1958 and 1959 before injury ended my career.

Last Fall I E-Mailed, to the recruiting staff, the particulars of a 9th grade quarterback ,who I felt, would start this year for his AAAA team at QB as a Sophomore. He is starting and has totaled 1450 yards passing and rushing in 4 1/2 games. His coach sat the first team for 1/2 of the 4th game. In my E-Mail, I told the staff this QB would be the next great to come out of Western PA along the lines of Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana etc. I have enforced that E-Mail this Fall to the recruiting staff that we should offer this recruit as a Sophomore. Yesterday, both Pitt and Penn State offered full rides.

Not once have I heard from the recruiting staff that they even received my E-Mails. How are we supposed to build a program and recruit 5 star players, with no communication. By the way, I played for Syracuse in 1958 and 1959 before injury ended my career.

Have you put together a recruiting profile with links to highlights on hudl? Also, what email address did you send it to? Also, this past week, most of the coaches were out on the recruiting trail and haven't had the time to religiously check email.

Just realized that you sent your email last fall. Resend it, and definitely mention that he has offers to Penn State and Pitt. Also, you need to call them. If you get the answering machine, leave a brief message, then call back later on. Keep calling until you reach someone. Per NCAA rules, they cannot call you back; it's a big no-no.

Actually, I'll do you one better. Give me his info and I'll email Coach Daoust and Coach Bullough personally.

Have you put together a recruiting profile with links to highlights on hudl? Also, what email address did you send it to? Also, this past week, most of the coaches were out on the recruiting trail and haven't had the time to religiously check email.

I did all of that including Hudl films from his 9th grade games. Can't understand why the staff never even acknowledged all the information I sent them. All was sent to Eric White, Bobby Acosta, and lately Tim Lester. The E-Mails never bounced back, so I assume they read them. Sent to their E-Mail addresses

I did all of that including Hudl films from his 9th grade games. Can't understand why the staff never even acknowledged all the information I sent them. All was sent to Eric White, Bobby Acosta, and lately Tim Lester. The E-Mails never bounced back, so I assume they read them. Sent to their . . . . . . . . E-Mail addresses
Was he playing varsity last year?

I did all of that including Hudl films from his 9th grade games. Can't understand why the staff never even acknowledged all the information I sent them. All was sent to Eric White, Bobby Acosta, and lately Tim Lester. The E-Mails never bounced back, so I assume they read them. Sent to their . . . . . . . . E-Mail addresses
Also, they can't acknowledge anything, except to his high school coach. They can't directly contact you, or him, or his parents. Just his coach. And you have to be almost annoyingly relentless in sending profiles/emails. College coaches get literally 100s of emails a day from parents; almost invariably, you'll get lost in the sheer volume if you're not persistent.

Was he playing varsity last year?

No - This is a AAAA school with 65 Varsity and 35 Freshman. Record is 20 wins 1 loss
last year and this year. Loss was 1 point in PIAA state championship last Fall. Central Catholic in Pittsburgh, who is in this teams AAAA division, has 95 varsity players and
9 of their players have Division 1 offers. This is the elite league of HS in Western Pa.

Why do we pay Eric White and Dylan Saccone to gather all of this information. 100 E-Mails a day is no excuse. These two guys are employed by Syracuse University to do their job. If you have any face to face contact or communication with the coaching staff, they should be aware that I heard nothing. I am not a parent by the way. Just
a loyal past player trying to help out. Have sent several player referrals over the years
including Sean Hickey.

Why do we pay Eric White and Dylan Saccone to gather all of this information. 100 E-Mails a day is no excuse. These two guys are employed by Syracuse University to do their job. If you have any face to face contact or communication with the coaching staff, they should be aware that I heard nothing. I am not a parent by the way. Just
a loyal past player trying to help out. Have sent several player referrals over the years
including Sean Hickey.
It's not 100, it's 100s. When Steven and I were at Memphis, I could hear Holmon Wiggin's phone beeping every few seconds with text/email notifications. He'd forgotten to silence his phone and appologized profusely. Vance Vice, their OL coach, showed me his phone when I asked him about this, and it was amazing to see just how many emails/texts he received.

There really isn't enough staff to handle the amount of emails they get.

Also, there isn't a coach out there that's going to look at JV tape. Phil's coach or parents, or someone, needs to put together a hudl highlight of varsity footage and send it.

Several years ago I emailed OC Nate Hackett, after the first game of the season (not about recruiting). I was not expecting a reply and my email did not seek one. Much to my surprise, the next February, I got a reply from him in which he explained that he never looked at his email during the season. I realize your situation is different, but for anyone else just realize that is the case.

OK Assume you will alert them to this player. I guess I wanted us, Syracuse, to be the first to offer. Sometimes makes a good impression. Instead, it is Penn State. Have a great day and thanks for jumping in.

I think it needs to be said that, in addition to their own contacts, and coaches, and parents sending them all e-mails, fans send them info constantly as well. I don't personally do this, but I know numerous people who will send names of prospects to coaches on Twitter, e-mail, etc, just about every day.

They cannot possibly reply to every e-mail they receive. They'd be doing nothing but e-mailing non-recruits all day, every day.

Welcome to the forum.

First let me say that it is great that you have submitted this young mans' info to the staff. However you did send the info last year while only a Freshman. This would make him a recruit in the 2018 cycle. Not a lot to go on for a kid playing as a freshman in HS... at the time you contacted the staff. The staff is currently working on closing out the 2016 class and is only starting to offer 2017s and 2018s. Also this kid is in Pitts and PSUs backyard. Much easier to catch one of his games and make an evaluation.

Assuming that Phil is who we're talking about here: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3785137/highlights

You're going to need to put together more than what's currently available at the link. A good 3-5 minutes of varsity highlights. The 38 second and 25 second clips for this year aren't nearly enough footage for the staff. I'm assuming that Penn State and Pitt somehow were able to see him play. Maybe they were at a game and scouting another player, maybe they've got some sort of relationship with the high school staff, or something along those lines.

OK Assume you will alert them to this player. I guess I wanted us, Syracuse, to be the first to offer. Sometimes makes a good impression. Instead, it is Penn State. Have a great day and thanks for jumping in.

Pitt Mo

I am going to send you, via PM, my phone number. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the recruiting process; it's changed an awful lot since the 50s, when you played. Hell, it's changed an awful lot in the past 10 years. Feel free to call; I'll do my best to fill you in on what Steven and I went through last year.

Assuming that Phil is who we're talking about here: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3785137/highlights

You're going to need to put together more than what's currently available at the link. A good 3-5 minutes of varsity highlights. The 38 second and 25 second clips for this year aren't nearly enough footage for the staff. I'm assuming that Penn State and Pitt somehow were able to see him play. Maybe they were at a game and scouting another player, maybe they've got some sort of relationship with the high school staff, or something along those lines.
Plus, it's safe to assume that if he's gone to any campus already, it's been Pitt and PSU camps since they're so close to home. There are so many reasons that those two schools would be more aware of him at this stage than anyone else.

Lots of good recruiting advice here: http://recruiting-101.com/

There's about 6 years with of stuff. Also, the guy sells ebooks on the recruiting process; inexpensively, I will say. Great info on how to put together a recruiting profile, tips on the process, etc. Get this link into the hands of Phil's parents.

The next time Pittsburgh mo recommends a young player to look out for, people should pay attention. That 9th grader he referenced just led his team to the Pennsylvania 6A state title (largest classification) and is also one of six finalists for the National POY.

The next time Pittsburgh mo recommends a young player to look out for, people should pay attention. That 9th grader he referenced just led his team to the Pennsylvania 6A state title (largest classification) and is also one of six finalists for the National POY.
Old staff?

Of course. I'm just pointing out that was a helluva call.

Was it ever verified that Pittsburgh Mo was the kid's parent or something? If not, what was the big deal? I didn't think it was a secret that the kid was going to be big time. Bcubs looked him up right away back then.

I'm going to write Dino an e-mail telling him he should consider recruiting this QB out of Georgia that may be wavering on his commitment again.

Was it ever verified that Pittsburgh Mo was the kid's parent or something? If not, what was the big deal? I didn't think it was a secret that the kid was going to be big time. Bcubs looked him up right away back then.

I'm going to write Dino an e-mail telling him he should consider recruiting this QB out of Georgia that may be wavering on his commitment again.
Believe he said he was a letterman in '58 and '59

Could have been a grandparent or great Uncle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom