Class of 2015 - Question for Recruiting Mavens | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Question for Recruiting Mavens

I am not picking on you but in the 2015 class there is a Fredericks and a Fredrick. Would y'all please get it right before it drives me nuttier than I already am. Thank you.

Fredericks :).

What's a spread lineman?

Assuming the heights/weights are accurate these 5 average

6-3 292

FSU's starting OL goes 6-5 323
Typically, they are more agile than power scheme lineman. Perhaps you have other thoughts?

Every year there is a "surprise" recruit or two whose name(s) surfaces late in the process. I expect this year will be no different.

Typically, they are more agile than power scheme lineman. Perhaps you have other thoughts?

I don't know that they aren't agile but they're certainly not road grading 'hogs' either. No tillers in this group.

Isn't spread a zone scheme and getting to the second level?

I looked at the list from this weekends OV. There were 14 kids. Four were already committed to SU. Steyn wasn't offered. Keller is a Jan enrollee as is Trey and if Grimes recommits he may be also. So that leaves six visitors for three open spots unless someone else is enrolling early?

Plus spencer tears and Jordan fox. Plus they're working Freddie Simmons

I don't know that they aren't agile but they're certainly not road grading 'hogs' either. No tillers in this group.

Isn't spread a zone scheme and getting to the second level?
Sure, hence the need for agility more than power. Not so much on inside zone as they are gap blocking but sure enough on outside zone blocking.

We seem to have a mix of tall slender guys 6' 4" or 6' 5" and 280ish and guys 3-4 inches shorter and 30 pounds heavier. I assume the taller guys will add 30 or 40 pounds. If so, taken as a group they will be pretty hefty lads.

Crusty said:
Lots of competition for Fox.

We are in his top 3, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

orangefog said:
We are in his top 3, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Top 3 - with Stanford and UVA, I think.

What's a spread lineman?

Assuming the heights/weights are accurate these 5 average

6-3 292

FSU's starting OL goes 6-5 323

I agree... it's mostly about athleticism, not necessarily size. If they are agile and have a good quick first step laterally, and run well it doesn't matter how big they are to pull down the line effectively.

Oregon's starting OL averages 6-4 296...

On the other hand...

Baylor's starting OL averages 6-6 328 (the guards are 340 and 385, respectively!)

This class seems pretty balanced all around. My dream scenario for commits would be Amir Ealey, Jay Stocker, Qaadir Sheppard, Jordan Fox, and Steven Clark. That would be 28 commits, which I'm not sure is doable, but it would put us into the top 40 recruiting classes in the 247 composite (39). Again, dream scenario here. I don't see this happening, but I would be jumping for joy if it did somehow. The reason I dont see it happening is because I think we have more needs on offense (wide receiver), but these are the top overall players IMO.

orange_in_VA said:
This class seems pretty balanced all around. My dream scenario for commits would be Amir Ealey, Jay Stocker, Qaadir Sheppard, Jordan Fox, and Steven Clark. That would be 28 commits, which I'm not sure is doable, but it would put us into the top 40 recruiting classes in the 247 composite (39). Again, dream scenario here. I don't see this happening, but I would be jumping for joy if it did somehow. The reason I dont see it happening is because I think we have more needs on offense (wide receiver), but these are the top overall players IMO.

Even your dream scenario won't be enough for the Debbie Downers on the football forum...

Top 40?! We can't compete unless we are top 20!!! These guys are average recruiters!

Sigh.

Even your dream scenario won't be enough for the Debbie Downers on the football forum...

Top 40?! We can't compete unless we are top 20!!! These guys are average recruiters!

Sigh.

This staff can recuit. I don't care what the naysayers say in this regard. The longer these guys are around, the better our talent will get consistently.

If the number is truly 3 then I think some offerees had best make their decision before they find themselves on the outside looking in. Sounds like the coaches are ready to wrap up 2015 and move on to 2016.

They are very focused on 2016 already. Obviously closing out 2015 is a priority, but they've been hammering the 2016 kids all year.

This staff can recuit. I don't care what the naysayers say in this regard. The longer these guys are around, the better our talent will get consistently.

You know who else was a tremendous recruiter? Ron Zook, how'd he do with all that talent he recruited?

You know who else was a tremendous recruiter? Ron Zook, how'd he do with all that talent he recruited?

well he got 9 wins and a Rose bowl in year 3 so I'd say he did pretty good. Zook also had talented recruiters on his staff, namely Locksley.

The staff isn't going anywhere right now (Hope Shaf gets atleast 5 years, and would love to see him end up our long-term coach), and the season is over. Let's support the coaches while they are here, and look to the future (which looks great because of their ability to recruit).

The staff isn't going anywhere right now (Hope Shaf gets atleast 5 years, and would love to see him end up our long-term coach), and the season is over. Let's support the coaches while they are here, and look to the future (which looks great because of their ability to recruit).

Totally agree. One thing that I think builds a program is continuity. I think there is an advantage to not swapping coaches every two years.

Totally agree. One thing that I think builds a program is continuity. I think there is an advantage to not swapping coaches every two years.

Exactly. Coaches are fired way too quickly in todays game. Let them build for crying out loud. Some of the best coaches ever weren't successful until their 4th-6th seasons. I want Shafer to retire here!

orange_in_VA said:
Exactly. Coaches are fired way too quickly in todays game. Let them build for crying out loud. Some of the best coaches ever weren't successful until their 4th-6th seasons. I want Shafer to retire here!

Way, way too much quitting on the staff to early from some on the board. I'm excited to see where we end up next season. I'm pretty high on our upside...

Way, way too much quitting on the staff to early from some on the board. I'm excited to see where we end up next season. I'm pretty high on our upside...

If they can get the offensive problems figured out, I'd love to see Shafer be a long-term coach here.

That's a big "if" however, based upon how this year went.

But I am 100% rooting for Shafer and staff to get that ship righted, so that we can get back to exciting, winning football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom