Quick Hitters | Syracusefan.com

Quick Hitters

CIL

All Conference
It's been a while since I've really done anything on this forum -- work and children will do that to you. Here are some of my quick thoughts on the season thus far.

• The QB competition isn't really much of a competition after all. Hunt has been much more decisive in his reads and playmaking thus far. I feel bad for Allen -- I don't think this staff gave him much of a chance to succeed to be honest. He got force fed the playbook in a short amount of time, had a lot of his weapons playing for the first time, and McDonald didn't really call the game to fit Allen's skill sets. Allen isn't a dink and dunk kid. He's a kid that you can use in the play action, over the top game. Oh well.
  • I've always been a T Hunt fan. Most know that I've been on him since his freshman year here. I'm obviously excited at what he brings to the table, however, I think we should temper our expectations of him a bit. He couldn't have gotten away with a couple of those throws against BCS level competition (both deep throws to West for instance -- the one on the sidelines could have been picked off).
  • I have major concerns about the OL's ability to run block on a consistent basis. I think we may need to simplify the scheme a bit here ala Marrone. We rely on a lot of zone blocking, however, I wouldn't say vision is one of Smith's greatest strengths (and he brings a lot to the table).
  • GMac's offense is predicated on getting the ball to his playmakers as much as possible. In theory it makes sense, however, I'm not sure out talent level is quite to that level where our skill guys are going to be consistently better than our opponents in the ACC. Marrone and Hackett were masters at gameplanning and execution -- however, I think, with allotted time, GMac can get the type of kid in here that can do it. He's that good of a recruiter. I liked the pace of the game he called with Hunt in there. he worked the middle a lot more with his play calls and took some chances. I hope he is willing to do more of that.
  • Speaking of playmakers, I'm still not sure what to make of Broyld. He's a kid that needs the ball in his hands to make plays, the problem is I'm not sure I trust him 100% yet. He's still learning the nuances of route running, blocking, etc. He also struggles catching the ball. It hurts us a bit at times when he is out there as he isn't a vertical threat and doesn't work the middle of the field very well. Same with Estime, although his speed is something we haven't had on offense in a decade.
  • The D needed that performance yesterday. After being absolutely shredded by NW last week, they did what they needed to do against an inferior opponent -- dominate the line of scrimmage. My only gripe is that Wagner had some guys open, thank god for the drops.
  • Bromley is playing really well and has a good chance of playing his way into the middle rounds. In fact, the front four on D has the chance to be really good by year's end. I like the move of Thompson to DE. I know some were disappointed at the move, but he's growing out of the TE spot and has the athletic ability to really be great defensive player. He uses his hands pretty well and has good speed for the position.
  • We need to temper some expectations this season. I think making a bowl will be a really good accomplishment. We lost A LOT last year. While this team has talent, it is YOUNG talent. I am fortunate enough to have a friend/neighbor who is an NFL scout and was recently in Syracuse observing a practice. We may be mucky to have one or two of our current seniors even drafted this year (Bromley/Lyn). He liked some of the juniors (Hickey, Davis, JSmith, Reddish). However, he said some of the younger kids we have out there (he mentioned numbers but they were: Morris, Thompson, Estime, Run DMC, and Trudo as guys that really stood out).

Last edited:
Not sure what is going on with Trudo this year. Kind of like how Chibby was his junior year. He has been getting pushed around a bit out there. May be that they are asking more out of him. Surprisingly I think the oline has been better at pass blocking than run blocking.

I couldnt agree more with Broyld. This move to WR or Hback, whatever ya wanna call it, makes him an okay player by D1 Wr standards. He would have been best used as a Quaterback without a doubt.

Not sure what is going on with Trudo this year. Kind of like how Chibby was his junior year. He has been getting pushed around a bit out there. May be that they are asking more out of him. Surprisingly I think the oline has been better at pass blocking than run blocking.
Truro came out of the Penn State and Northwestern games due to what appeared to be a leg injury. I agree he has been a little subpar so far this year but I think his playing hurt has a lot to do with this.

Interesting that your scout friend picked out Estime a true Frosh, and Thompson a guy who's been on the DL about 2 months. Very interesting indeed

I couldnt agree more with Broyld. This move to WR or Hback, whatever ya wanna call it, makes him an okay player by D1 Wr standards. He would have been best used as a Quaterback without a doubt.

I tend to agree on Broyld, he still looks like a kid with no position to me and he needs to start working the middle of the field as well, seam routes, etc. More typical TE routes.

Interesting, the zone blocking vs push thing. The o-lines blocking for the running game has me worried as well and seems to be a work in progress.

You always wonder why player X is not playing well and often it is due to some kind of injury, when does the staff decide that player Y is just as good now that the first string player is hurt? Is he hurt enough to take him out? Will a week of rest help or just push through to a bye?

This is Broyld's first season as a receiver so I wouldn't be too quick to judge him.

Broyld has caught 18 passes (8 more than anyone else) for a total of 145 yards - an average of 8.06 per catch. He has a long of 27 which is the 4th longest. He averages 6 catches for 48.33 yards per game.

He is a sophomore with two more seasons after this one.

If Broyld is a problem give me more of them just like him.

If the other receivers are getting attention Broyld will have more opportunities along with that quick out not having enough blocking. Maybe that works better against our guys in practice and it fools OC Mac that it's a better play than it is?

Broyld is a very good football player. He's been a kid that could always rely on his athleticism to make up for any fundamental deficiencies. Right now, he is just learning the nuances of the game. I think he will be an excellent player in time. His hands are a bit iffy to be a WR right now, and most of his catches are on bubble and jailbreak screens as of now. Defensive coordinators are aware of this and will start scheming as such. He is going to have to work more slants, digs, and seam routes into his game to become a complete player.

you have to add in that he has dropped most of the passes thrown to him on routes down the field. I think he is much more comfortable catching the ball when he has less to think about then getting hit or making the first move. his short passes he has time to get set and make a move.

Broyld is a very good football player. He's been a kid that could always rely on his athleticism to make up for any fundamental deficiencies. Right now, he is just learning the nuances of the game. I think he will be an excellent player in time. His hands are a bit iffy to be a WR right now, and most of his catches are on bubble and jailbreak screens as of now. Defensive coordinators are aware of this and will start scheming as such. He is going to have to work more slants, digs, and seam routes into his game to become a complete player.

This is where I like Hunt...he could look off Broyld on those bubble/jailbreak (is that what they call it? cool) and throw elsewhere and then throw that pass X amount of snaps later. If Broyld can actually garner a lot of attention that will help this offense with so many things.

I agree he has to keep working on the rest of his game but still he is only a true soph that was a qb in high school and you're point is quite valid.

An OK player by D1 standards? Based on what? He has 18 catches so far and is still learning the position. His future is bright as the new hybrid slot. Once he figures out run blocking, working various mid-depth routes across the middle and proper catching techniques, he will be really really good. You can't teach pure talent.

I'm excited about Hunt being the QB, not by what "might've been" with Broyld as a Wildcat.

Broyld hasn't dropped any more passes than our other guys (based on completions per attempts). We are all just so anxious for his talent to dominate that we forget this is new to him. I think we are going to see some very exciting things from him before the season is over. Without a doubt he will have some very disappointing drops by Orange fans are accustomed to that from our WR. With Ryan they usually decapitated people!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom