Quick Question on next year's squad- Center position | Syracusefan.com

Quick Question on next year's squad- Center position

DirtDog44

Walk On
Long time lurker and die hard Cuse basketball fan. We are still very early in this year's basketball season, but I can't help but looking at what will be a decimated front court next year XMas will be gone and quite honestly odds are McCollough pulls his game together and goes as well. That means our best low post player is someone that may not have played basketball for close to two years and will have a questionable knee. His backup Chino is probably not going to see game action in ACC play so where does that leave us? I know we have Diagne but he is not a true center and possibly Bryant but do you think JB would think about going the JC route to find another big, dependable body that he can put out on the floor for 10-15 mins per game.
Thoughts?? BTW, Happy Holiday to all. I love reading this board everyday and am very thankful for all of your insightful posts. You are all truly a great bunch of people and its a pleasure to log in everyday.
Go Cuse , Go Bababooey

With what scholarship? We already need to free one up to land Bryant.

I think we do get Bryant and he starts. Then we would Diange and Chino to back up plus the possibility of a healthy DC2 back. That would be plenty of centers. Diange can also play the 4 in our system from what I have seen.

On the other side its possible we end up with no Bryant and DC2 never makes it back. Then yes Diange and Chino could probably use some help and the spot would be there.

Edit: Glad you posted after all that lurking.

Last edited:
Assuming Bryant comes, I think he's our 5 for as many minutes as he can stay out of foul trouble.

Assuming he's healthy, I think Coleman will give us some good minutes next season.

Chino and Diagne can fill in if needed. It's a worst case scenario if they're all we have, but hopefully if that happens Chino is the defensive center and Diagne is our offensive center.

Looks like Roberson will lock down tons of time at the 4.

This is a legitimate concern (or will be, after this wacky season comes to an end).

Center is arguably the most difficult defensive position in the zone. Even in a perfect world, we're looking at a freshman, a recovered fourth-year junior who struggled in his limited underclass minutes, and a third-year player who will probably have fewer than 50 minutes of game experience under his belt and, at best, is a step slow.

We're going to see a downgrade in the quality of play at that position next year.

Speculating on future seasons is pointless because we really don't know who will be here or how much new players will be able to contribute immediately. Surely we've all learned that.

I'm nervous about it as well.

I think Bryant goes to Kentucky, Chinoso isn't a P5 center IMO, and Coleman is going to be almost 2 years since his last game.

Personally, I didn't like Coleman coming in, I didn't think he was very athletic and was slower than an 18 wheeler going up a hill. I don't know how much he was able to work on his game during this time but were talking about a guy who didn't impress when he was playing regularly, not sure what two years off would do, it's not like riding a bike.

I'm more nervous about next year than this year in all honesty.

DC2, Chino, and Mustapha will be fine. Well be in good shape next year. Joseph will be much improved and hold the press, but I think our RS senior will be all-conference.

Whattduya guys think about a KJ, TC, MR, BJ, TR lineup? Not against a UNC but 2 rebounders, 4 shooters, 5 threats would be fun for spurts. That kindve spacing would give Neil degrasse Tyson a chubby.

Flintstones said:
DC2, Chino, and Mustapha will be fine. Well be in good shape next year.

Based on what?

I'm nervous about it as well.

I think Bryant goes to Kentucky, Chinoso isn't a P5 center IMO, and Coleman is going to be almost 2 years since his last game.

Personally, I didn't like Coleman coming in, I didn't think he was very athletic and was slower than an 18 wheeler going up a hill. I don't know how much he was able to work on his game during this time but were talking about a guy who didn't impress when he was playing regularly, not sure what two years off would do, it's not like riding a bike.

I'm more nervous about next year than this year in all honesty.

A lot of assumptions there. How can anyone know what Chinsoso might be capable of at this point. Or what Coleman, who has barely played, might be capable of when healthy? Or what's going on in Bryant's head? Or what he will bring to the table if he does come here?

SWC75 said:
A lot of assumptions there. How can anyone know what Chinsoso might be capable of at this point. Or what Coleman, who has barely played, might be capable of when healthy? Or what's going on in Bryant's head? Or what he will bring to the table if he does come here?

That's what I mean, but my assumptions are the same as everybody else's saying DC will be fine, Chinoso is going to be great, and Bryant is coming here and will be dominate. I'm not claiming I know what is going to happen but based on everything I have seen watching, reading, and observing with basketball those are my predictions. I don't know more about any situation than anybody else does, just publishing my opinions here.

Based on what?

Welp, I think it's pointless but I guess inevitable to look ahead. On paper next years team looks much better. Cooney and Mike should average 15ppg. With both being 4 star 5 yr players, we should expect A Laaawt from them. Along with the growth of Kaleb and the Sophs, I just don't see why your more nervous than this years squad. We're losing a stud in Xmas but did you expect him to average 16/10 two months ago?

The C may be a mystery but I expect DC to play next year. Regardless, we'll have talent and depth at every other position. We did win the 'ship with Forth and McNeil.

But I like your play here two-three..Any way we can attach your post to Bryant's phone/snapchat/hard drive. He certainly would make us better.

Flintstones said:
Welp, I think it's pointless but I guess inevitable to look ahead. On paper next years team looks much better. Cooney and Mike should average 15ppg. With both being 4 star 5 yr players, we should expect A Laaawt from them. Along with the growth of Kaleb and the Sophs, I just don't see why your more nervous than this years squad. We're losing a stud in Xmas but did you expect him to average 16/10 two months ago? The C may be a mystery but I expect DC to play next year. Regardless, we'll have talent and depth at every other position. We did win the 'ship with Forth and McNeil. But I like your play here two-three..Any way we can attach your post to Bryant's phone/snapchat/hard drive. He certainly would make us better.

I expected a lot from Rak and never thought 15-8 was out of reach for him.

Bryant will make is better, if he comes here, it's not a slam dunk he is.

DC will probably be back next year, but he wasn't great to begin with for us and at tip off next year it will be almost 2 years since his last real game, it's unfair to expect great things from him.

I do expect a lot from Cooney and G next year as well and I expect great improvement from KJ but losing Rak and McCullough is going to be huge to call next years team better than this years team better is very premature.

Obviously we could have an issue at C next year to many question marks to think otherwise. Even if Bryant comes, JB always says big men take time and he will be no different.

I don't understand the continued talk about IF DC2 plays again. At no point have I ever heard JB say IF he could come back. It has only been IF he will play this year or redshirt, and it is looking more likely that it will be a redshirt. Which is a good thing. I truly believe that a redshirt is in DC2's best interest, and after everything he has been through, he deserves 2 full seasons to hopefully show case his skills.

Based upon the hypothetical given (McCullough heading to the NBA) I would expect the following:

C - 1)DC2 2) Bryant (never expect half as much as you hope from a first year C on JB's team) 3)Obokoh
PF - 1)Roberson (expect big things from him in this position) 2) Diagne 3)Lydon
SF - 1)Gbinijie 2)BJ
SG - 1)Cooney 2)Richardson
PG - 1)KJ 2)Buss 3)Howard

I expect people to be very unhappy with how much PT Bryant & Richardson get, which won't be much, unless DC2 can't hold up. I hope Buss improves to a point that JB feels comfortable with him playing at least 5 minutes per half. I won't hold my breathe, but I can hope.

Realistically, you are likely to see KJ, Cooney, Gbinijie & Roberson get 30+ min per game. I would expect DC2 at 20-25 min & Bryant 15-20 min out of necessity, rather than because JB wants it.

That's what I mean, but my assumptions are the same as everybody else's saying DC will be fine, Chinoso is going to be great, and Bryant is coming here and will be dominate. I'm not claiming I know what is going to happen but based on everything I have seen watching, reading, and observing with basketball those are my predictions. I don't know more about any situation than anybody else does, just publishing my opinions here.

Everybody else is saying that DC will be fine, Chinoso will be great and Bryant will dominate here?

SWC75 said:
Everybody else is saying that DC will be fine, Chinoso will be great and Bryant will dominate here?

From the assumptions I've seen that seems to be 90% of the consensus.

If DC is healthy, he will start. He knows the system better than the others particularly from a defense standpoint. I say this realizing he is known more for offense than defense.

Personally, I didn't like Coleman coming in, I didn't think he was very athletic and was slower than an 18 wheeler going up a hill.
let's be honest: the real reason you didn't like him coming was simply because he chose SU over UK, and by your rationale that was prima facie evidence that he was lacking - in your view, no good center would ever choose Syracuse over Kentucky. You'll discount Bryant the same way when he signs.

to the original question: I'm not worried. We have enough bodies with enough physical talent to adequately man the position. In his system, JB needs talented forwards first and guards second. All he really needs out of the center position is 5 and 5 and solid D. Anything else is gravy.

moqui said:
let's be honest: the real reason you didn't like him coming was simply because he chose SU over UK, and by your rationale that was prima facie evidence that he was lacking - in your view, no good center would ever choose Syracuse over Kentucky. You'll discount Bryant the same way when he signs. to the original question: I'm not worried. We have enough bodies with enough physical talent to adequately man the position. In his system, JB needs talented forwards first and guards second. All he really needs out of the center position is 5 and 5 and solid D. Anything else is gravy.

I want Bryant to come here. I liked Fab, Rak, McCullough, and had big expectations for Riley coming in.

Wasn't a fan of BMK when he signed, Chin when we offered and I thought DC was incredibly overhyped in HS. He looked like a big guy making layups over 6'3" CNY HS players who was slow and out of shape.

Listen, I hope every guy who plays for Syracuse ends up being a legend but it doesn't mean that the second they sign I think they are a legend. I think Richardson will be really good, I think Bryant will be really good regardless where he goes, I think Lydon is one of those guys that will be good in his third and fourth year, Howard I think well be Ok but nothing spectacular and I think Diagne is a project and a crapshoot at this point.

You guys can overhype these guys all you want, I'm not going to anoint these guys as saviors and unbelievable players the second they sign.

I want Bryant to come here. I liked Fab, Rak, McCullough, and had big expectations for Riley coming in.

Wasn't a fan of BMK when he signed, Chin when we offered and I thought DC was incredibly overhyped in HS. He looked like a big guy making layups over 6'3" CNY HS players who was slow and out of shape.

Listen, I hope every guy who plays for Syracuse ends up being a legend but it doesn't mean that the second they sign I think they are a legend. I think Richardson will be really good, I think Bryant will be really good regardless where he goes, I think Lydon is one of those guys that will be good in his third and fourth year, Howard I think well be Ok but nothing spectacular and I think Diagne is a project and a crapshoot at this point.

You guys can overhype these guys all you want, I'm not going to anoint these guys as saviors and unbelievable players the second they sign.
You almost had me until you got to Diagne.

He is the most-ready recruit. He has excellent basketball skills--use of his off hand, ability to play facing or back to the basket, shooting touch out to 15 feet, etc. And, he has D-I athleticism at the 4/5.

longtimefan said:
You almost had me until you got to Diagne. He is the most-ready recruit. He has excellent basketball skills--use of his off hand, ability to play facing or back to the basket, shooting touch out to 15 feet, etc. And, he has D-I athleticism at the 4/5.

I think he's athletic as well, I haven't read nor heard anything about a 15 ft jump shot but if he's a 5 for us then his height could be an issue and if he's a 4 he has Roberson ahead of him. I just don't see hype in him. I like him, but I don't think he is as good as people make him out to be, at least not yet. He is raw and outside of athletic put backs I haven't seen any sort of post game from him nor the outside shot I've been hearing about. He could be a couple/few years away as well.

We either get Bryant and all worries are gone. Or we don't get Bryant and Chino steps in as the backup. Chino is big and looks relatively coordinated, so he should be able to hold his own in his 3rd year in the program. If Chino isn't ready, Diagne plays Center which isn't ideal but would probably get the job done.

As for McCullough, we've played some of our better basketball with him on the bench. I like the kid and he will be a first-rounder, but losing him isn't going to be a huge hit, not with G, Roberson, BJ, Diagne, and Malachi ready to go.

Rak will be the only significant loss from this year's team (assuming nobody transfers), so color me unconcerned. We gain more in experience and young talent than we're losing with Rak's graduation, regardless of what Bryant does.

Brooky03 said:
We either get Bryant and all worries are gone. Or we don't get Bryant and Chino steps in as the backup. Chino is big and looks relatively coordinated, so he should be able to hold his own in his 3rd year in the program. If Chino isn't ready, Diagne plays Center which isn't ideal but would probably get the job done. As for McCullough, we've played some of our better basketball with him on the bench. I like the kid and he will be a first-rounder, but losing him isn't going to be a huge hit, not with G, Roberson, BJ, Diagne, and Malachi ready to go. Rak will be the only significant loss from this year's team (assuming nobody transfers), so color me unconcerned. We gain more in experience and young talent than we're losing with Rak's graduation, regardless of what Bryant does.

The last 3 games McCullough is not a big loss, the previous games McCullough is a big loss. He's better than he's played and I think everybody knows that and I think everybody is in agreement that his best basketball is coming. It's going to be a big loss as there is nobody else capable of what he is on the roster to play over him now and coming in next year.

Bryant is a HUGE need and probably our most important recruit right now for the immediate need.

I think he's athletic as well, I haven't read nor heard anything about a 15 ft jump shot but if he's a 5 for us then his height could be an issue and if he's a 4 he has Roberson ahead of him. I just don't see hype in him. I like him, but I don't think he is as good as people make him out to be, at least not yet. He is raw and outside of athletic put backs I haven't seen any sort of post game from him nor the outside shot I've been hearing about. He could be a couple/few years away as well.
Don't know if you have seen the Peach Jam final, but track it down if you can. It was that game that turned me into a Diagne fan. Not only did he rebound like a demon (16, maybe); but, when his team was about to blow a big lead, and the game, in the fourth quarter, they ran plays for him in the post 3 out of 4 trips down the court, and he delivered every time. And this was on a team that featured Briscoe.

As for the shooting range--check with Francis. He can direct you to clips where Diagne shows off his 15-footer.

The last 3 games McCullough is not a big loss, the previous games McCullough is a big loss. He's better than he's played and I think everybody knows that and I think everybody is in agreement that his best basketball is coming. It's going to be a big loss as there is nobody else capable of what he is on the roster to play over him now and coming in next year.

Bryant is a HUGE need and probably our most important recruit right now for the immediate need.

Again, I like McCullough. I think he's going to get better and have a really good season. That said, his contributions are being overrated.

Basically, he's proven that he can stuff stats against lesser opponents and hasn't shown an ability to be a key contributor in wins against good opponents. His loss will not be as big as some expect. He could have some monster games against top competition, but he's replaceable in the aggregate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom