Quintessential Podcast with Gary Gait | Syracusefan.com

Quintessential Podcast with Gary Gait

I thought this was a good interview. First 10 minutes Gait talks SU lacrosse, middle portion is about the Transfer Combine through St James and the last 10 are he and Quint discussing tourney matchups. First 10 minutes are definitely worthwhile.

Random notes:
-Sounds like Gait wanted the '22 team to play with different pockets that would make passing easier (i.e shallower) and that the team was resistant. Last year's group was easier to persuade and he says that's what led to them moving the ball better.

-Quint congratulates him on a "pair" of transfers committed to the team, while not divulging their names says lots of nice things about them. Gait can't comment since they are still in the tournament. Obviously he is talking about English and Stevens.

-Gait notes that they are exploring FOGOs in the portal and it seems like that is a focus of the offseason. He is high on the freshman John Mullins (says he is going to watch him play today) but wants more depth.

-Blames a lot of this years issues on the face-off situation and says they would have won 3-4 more games with 48-50% there.

- Sounds like the schedule will be more difficult next year. Gait said they scheduled the way they did since he wanted lots of young players to play this year, but in hindsight that the two weakest teams on the schedule really hurt their RPI.

-Think I heard this right but Gait said he applied to be the under 20 coach for Team Canada, mostly to help recruiting efforts north of the border.

All in all I think he says all the right things. Would have been nice if the transfer news had been announced so they could discuss those specific players more in depth, but hard not to feel positive about the direction of the program after listening to Gait.

Last edited:
I thought this was a good interview. First 10 minutes Gait talks SU lacrosse, middle portion is about the Transfer Combine through St James and the last 10 are he and Quint discussing tourney matchups. First 10 minutes are definitely worthwhile.

Random notes:
-Sounds like Gait wanted the '22 team to play with different pockets that would make passing easier (i.e shallower) and that the team was resistant. Last year's group was easier to persuade and he says that's what led to them moving the ball better.

-Quint congratulates him on a "pair" of transfers committed to the team, while not divulging their names says lots of nice things about them. Gait can't comment since they are still in the tournament. Obviously he is talking about English and Peterson.

-Gait notes that they are exploring FOGOs in the portal and it seems like that is a focus of the offseason. He is high on the freshman John Mullins (says he is going to watch him play today) but wants more depth.

-Blames a lot of this years issues on the face-off situation and says they would have won 3-4 more games with 48-50% there.

- Sounds like the schedule will be more difficult next year. Gait said they scheduled the way they did since he wanted lots of young players to play this year, but in hindsight that the two weakest teams on the schedule really hurt their RPI.

-Think I heard this right but Gait said he applied to be the under 20 coach for Team Canada, mostly to help recruiting efforts north of the border.

All in all I think he says all the right things. Would have been nice if the transfer news had been announced so they could discuss those specific players more in depth, but hard not to feel positive about the direction of the program after listening to Gait.
Thanks. But is it English and Peterson or English and Stevens? I thought I read the latter two.

Interesting to hear a lot of that podcast. Great to hear how high he is on the transfers Also on a different note Can not imagine Joey is thrilled listening to that podcast. Very strange comments from Gait And maybe I have turned team Spallina but I believe and confirmed from my source on the island that Jake is the truth beating all the top FO on the island Wish Quint would of asked besides FO what the team lacks

Interesting to hear a lot of that podcast. Great to hear how high he is on the transfers Also on a different note Can not imagine Joey is thrilled listening to that podcast. Very strange comments from Gait And maybe I have turned team Spallina but I believe and confirmed from my source on the island that Jake is the truth beating all the top FO on the island Wish Quint would of asked besides FO what the team lacks
Not sure at all what you could be referring to with "very strange comments." He praises his lacrosse IQ, talks about the importance of playing a full freshman season, says his big improvement was making big plays against the tougher teams in the schedule as the season went on... didn't hear a word that could be interpreted as throwing shade...

-Also praises Will Mark and Jimmie McCool. Officially confirms that Will Mark will be coming back next year.

-Fascinating that he was actually pushing a smaller pocket this year and it paid off on some level. We were one of the best teams at taking care of the ball last year, far better than the slop the year before. Said that there can be a tradeoff in step down shooting from outside, but I did not notice any sort of weakness there. With the tech today you would need a realllly small pocket for it to not have enough hold for a big wind up on a stepdown shot. Seems like an old-school philosophy that doesn't really apply today, which is for the better. Sounds like the team bought in and it paid off.

-Seems a lot more relaxed and articulate in this format than when he is getting rapid fire (and often dumb) questions from local news and Newhouse kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom