Quint's Top 20: What to Make of Rankings After Wild Weekend | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: What to Make of Rankings After Wild Weekend

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
8. Syracuse — Otto seized another dramatic victory over Virginia on Sunday, rallying into the teeth of a five-goal Wahoo lead. It was the third game the Orange have played this season decided in the last possession. Sergio Salcido was the hero. A sporadic offense came to life in the second half in what was a gutsy comeback and season-momentum swing.

The biggest SU conundrum I see right now is defensive groundballs. They only had 7 grounders in the first half, yet 20 in the second. Matt Lane, Nate Solomon and Salcido did the most damage.

I also feel inclined to note that nationally it seems has if the officials have neglected the timer-on mechanism and are much slower to start the shot clock this year. Let's not forget that the fans want and deserve tempo. Let's get the game flowing with more "Shot clock on!" Reward good defense and inject some life into protracted possessions.

Quint's clock shot comment comes in the 14-13 Syracuse vs. Virginia game.

Doesn't it belong in the 5-4 Maryland vs. Notre Dame game? (2-1 at halftime) Maryland: 19 shots for the whole game.

Lacrosse Film Room‏ @LaxFilmRoom 18h18 hours ago
Tempo of that Cuse-UVA game was insane. Game had a whole extra possession more than ND-Maryland did yesterday.

Lacrosse Film Room‏ @LaxFilmRoom 21h21 hours ago

Interestingly enough there were 3 timer ons in ND-MD (0 in stall situations) & only 2 in DU-UNC (final min of 1st half & last 5 min of game)

1. Lacrosse Film Room‏ @LaxFilmRoom 22h22 hours ago
    Looks like Denver-UNC sets the new mark for slowest game of the year with only 50 total possessions

2 replies2 retweets9 likes

2. Lacrosse Film Room‏ @LaxFilmRoom 22h22 hours ago
    Meanwhile Notre Dame-Maryland was basically an average paced game with 71 total possessions

2 replies1 retweet4 likes
Lacrosse Film Room‏ @LaxFilmRoom
So if you had a problem with the style of play in the latter but not the former, it's not that you like up tempo play, you just hate defense

Very interesting follow if you do the twitter :)

Quint mentioned the shot-clock in his Virginia write-up to. He's mind boggling. It was a 14-13 game in what was at times a frenetic pace.

"thought the officials were hesitant to employ the shot clock at two vital junctures of this game — late first half when Virginia had the ball and last two minutes of the game when SU controlled. Why are refs bashful to turn the shot clock on?"

*by the way, where are possessions charted?

Penn State #3 ? I don't know, I think I need to see them play somebody. Their 5-0 isn't very impressive. You'd expect Syracuse and everybody else to be 5-0 with this:

Robert Morris, Hobart, Cornell, Villanova and Penn

Penn State #3 ? I don't know, I think I need to see them play somebody. Their 5-0 isn't very impressive. You'd expect Syracuse and everybody else to be 5-0 with this:

Robert Morris, Hobart, Cornell, Villanova and Penn
Yeah they have looked good, but haven't played anybody

Yeah they have looked good, but haven't played anybody
Their first challenge was Penn (top 10 ranking) and they won. Factor in top 10 loses over the last 2 weeks and they were bound to move up. Once they start Big10 games they will drop

8. Syracuse — Otto seized another dramatic victory over Virginia on Sunday, rallying into the teeth of a five-goal Wahoo lead. It was the third game the Orange have played this season decided in the last possession. Sergio Salcido was the hero. A sporadic offense came to life in the second half in what was a gutsy comeback and season-momentum swing.

The biggest SU conundrum I see right now is defensive groundballs. They only had 7 grounders in the first half, yet 20 in the second. Matt Lane, Nate Solomon and Salcido did the most damage.

I also feel inclined to note that nationally it seems has if the officials have neglected the timer-on mechanism and are much slower to start the shot clock this year. Let's not forget that the fans want and deserve tempo. Let's get the game flowing with more "Shot clock on!" Reward good defense and inject some life into protracted possessions.

Last week Cuse dropped from a top 7 team to #15 with a loss to Army (minus Ben Williams). This week Hopkins gets destroyed by Princeton but stays at #6 and during the broadcast Quint was making excuse after excuse as to why they weren't playing well. Other than his homerism, I can't formthe life of me understand his thinking. Hopkins should have dropped out of the top 10, just like Cuse.

I know I'm jumping ahead, but I'm looking forward to March 18th at Homewood

Last week Cuse dropped from a top 7 team to #15 with a loss to Army (minus Ben Williams). This week Hopkins gets destroyed by Princeton but stays at #6 and during the broadcast Quint was making excuse after excuse as to why they weren't playing well. Other than his homerism, I can't formthe life of me understand his thinking. Hopkins should have dropped out of the top 10, just like Cuse.

I know I'm jumping ahead, but I'm looking forward to March 18th at Homewood

JHU has beaten Carolina and Loyola, so I can see why they wouldn't drop far. I think he had them higher last week.

But, I agree, he seems to have a vendetta for SU this year, saying we were no longer in the top tier of lacrosse programs. He also seems to think that transfers are a sign of weakness --a privileged preppy at Hopkins would tend to think that way.

Penn State are for real, they have a talented young keeper and Def but passed their first test against Penn who have a high powered offense in Dunn, Mathias and Roesner. I have watched Penn State for a few years and they have a great midfield and one of the best attack units in DI - quarterback Grant Ament, great experience in Nick Aponte who is underrated as a Sr and freshman shooting sensation Mac O'Keefe, I watched them against Hobart and O'keefe is different Gravy ,plays a little like a Canadian and doesn't play a flashy Long Island style - Shoots lights out!

Loyola is another team going under the radar but have lost two games by 1 goal against UVA and JHU, great all over the field and Pat Spencer had 7 Assists last sat, he's a hell of a player!

JHU has beaten Carolina and Loyola, so I can see why they wouldn't drop far. I think he had them higher last week.

But, I agree, he seems to have a vendetta for SU this year, saying we were no longer in the top tier of lacrosse programs. He also seems to think that transfers are a sign of weakness --a privileged preppy at Hopkins would tend to think that way.

Ironic because Hopkins' starting goalie, Gerald Logan, is a grad transfer from Michigan. I also don't recall Quint ever once harping on transfers when Maryland had Dylan Maltz, Henry West, Pat Young (5th, 6th, & 7th in points) & Greg Danseglio (3rd team AA defender, leader in GB's) help lead them to the title game last year :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom