Ragman's Semi-Informed Guide to New Orleans | Syracusefan.com

Ragman's Semi-Informed Guide to New Orleans

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
For those of you planning on spending a few days in NOLA this weekend besides attending the game, I thought I'd post my typical guide to New Orleans that I often send to friends who visit. I've included as many links as possible, but please know that most of these places are at least 10 minute drive or cab ride from the French Quarter.

My wife is a Too-Lame grad and spent many years of her life in the city. My 12 year old dog was a NOLA street mutt from the ghetto. We make it back there once or twice every year. Been waiting for years for SU to resume a series with them so we could enjoy heading down for a game together. Of course, the ONE year we can't go (5 month twins at home), but I digress.

My biggest advice to visitors is to get away from the French Qtr for a little while - this will require a car. NOLA is a very drivable city, and you can almost always find street parking within walking distance of wherever you are going. It's mandatory to go to the french qtr (i.e Bourbon Street and surrounding area), see it, etc, but frankly, it's not the "real" New Orleans. The real NOLA has some of the best food and entertainment in the world, but you just need to know where to look. I hope this guide helps a little bit as an alternative to the french qtr scene.

Avoid most if not all restaurants on Bourbon St. Usually tourist trap/expensive/health violations waiting to happen - the "Red Fish Grill" is the only one that's halfway decent. Cafe Du Monde is required attendance. French beignets served by Asians who don't speak English. It's a tradition. In the quarter for nightlife, Pat O’Briens is always fun in the dueling piano room. This is the home of the hurricane. You can also check out Preservation Hall on Bourbon for good live local music.
If a homeless guy asks you “I bet you $5 dollars I know where you got your shoes at!” Don’t take the bet. The correct answer is “Canal Street” or whatever street you happen to be on. It's a New Orleans tradition.

Don’t forget to hit Igors Bar and Laundromat on St. Charles for literally the BEST bloody mary you will ever have in your life. Comes with a nice spicy green bean. Igors is only a couple of blocks from the fine daiquiri bar that serves them in an empty gallon milk jug with free foam cups to spread the wealth - much cheaper than the places on Bourbon, and much much stronger. Get one to go and bring to your tailgate.

Restaurants:
Jacquimos (on Oak- uptown) dinner only; ranging from 18-30 dollars. It is the most amazing creole/nola food that you will ever have! Lots of seafood
and authentic cuisine and the atmosphere is really fun...it is definitely an 'event' when you go there for dinner. It is a 'locals' place that we love...and one that I miss frequently! It's also Marrone's favorite restaurant in the city. Some of my favorites are the black bean salmon, carpet bagger, alligator pie, fried green tomatoes, and bbq shrimp.This is a restaurant that I would NOT miss (plan on dinner being a couple of hours with the wait unless you get there when they open at 6pm).

Vincents (on St Charles) – an awesome southern Italian joint with a new Orleans twist (lots of fresh seafood specials). Mob owned and operated, so you know it’s good. Last time I was there, I hung out with James Carville (“The Rajun Cajin”) at the bar. True story.

Near the French Qtr and not too far from the Superdom, check out Domenica, local chef John Besh’s new place. Realllly good food, one of his best restaurants.
La Crepe Nanou (on Prytania and Robert uptown) great French food with a New Orleans twist! Dinner only ranging from 10-26ish.
Café Rani: A quick and delicious lunch of salads, po-boys, gourmet sandwiches, pastas, etc. You can sit outside on the patio. This place is extremely affordable and excellent. It is located on Magazine Street , Uptown.

Out of Emeril's restaurants I would recommend NOLA which is downtown or Delmonico's which is uptown on St. Charles . It is not as "generic" as his restaurant named Emeril's in the quarter.

Ricobonno's Café is one of the best places to go for an authentic New Orleans breakfast. They have your traditional items like omelets and pancakes and more Cajun items like crawfish patties, eggs benedict with hollandaise and crawfish, etc.

Some fun bars/nightlife
  • The Howlin’ Wolf- Always a great place for live music from traditional NOLA jazz to funk
  • Dos Jefes-a very cozy uptown cigar bar with live jazz, great drinks, and appetizers (off magazine street).
  • Cooter Browns-a very 'fun' locals' bar with more than 200 beers on tap, tons of pool tables and big screen televisions. It is a great place to go to for some great beer at really cheap prices!
  • The Maple Leaf-located right next to the one of NOLA's finest restaurants (Jacquimos)...it is a fun atmosphere...always packed with people and great live music.

• Cooter Browns-a very 'fun' locals' bar with more than 200 beers on tap, tons of pool tables and big screen televisions. It is a great place to go to for some great beer at really cheap prices!
  • The Maple Leaf-located right next to the one of NOLA's finest restaurants (Jacquimos)...it is a fun atmosphere...always packed with people and great live music.

I too am a Tulane Alum (grad school) and can attest to the two fine establishments above.

Cooter Browns also has great crawfish baskets and being as we're in a month with an "r" in it, eat all the crawfish you can.

As for the Maple Leaf, a very integral scene to one of my favorite all-time movies ("Angel Heart") was filmed here. If you know the movie, you'll recognize the bathroom.

Is the Old Nawlins Cookery on Conti still there? Just off Bourbon. I always had good meals there. No atmosphere - brick walls, dopey red-and-white checkered tablecloths... I remember the food being quite good.

For those of you planning on spending a few days in NOLA this weekend besides attending the game, I thought I'd post my typical guide to New Orleans that I often send to friends who visit. I've included as many links as possible, but please know that most of these places are at least 10 minute drive or cab ride from the French Quarter.

My wife is a Too-Lame grad and spent many years of her life in the city. My 12 year old dog was a NOLA street mutt from the ghetto. We make it back there once or twice every year. Been waiting for years for SU to resume a series with them so we could enjoy heading down for a game together. Of course, the ONE year we can't go (5 month twins at home), but I digress.

My biggest advice to visitors is to get away from the French Qtr for a little while - this will require a car. NOLA is a very drivable city, and you can almost always find street parking within walking distance of wherever you are going. It's mandatory to go to the french qtr (i.e Bourbon Street and surrounding area), see it, etc, but frankly, it's not the "real" New Orleans. The real NOLA has some of the best food and entertainment in the world, but you just need to know where to look. I hope this guide helps a little bit as an alternative to the french qtr scene.

Avoid most if not all restaurants on Bourbon St. Usually tourist trap/expensive/health violations waiting to happen - the "Red Fish Grill" is the only one that's halfway decent. Cafe Du Monde is required attendance. French beignets served by Asians who don't speak English. It's a tradition. In the quarter for nightlife, Pat O’Briens is always fun in the dueling piano room. This is the home of the hurricane. You can also check out Preservation Hall on Bourbon for good live local music.
If a homeless guy asks you “I bet you $5 dollars I know where you got your shoes at!” Don’t take the bet. The correct answer is “Canal Street” or whatever street you happen to be on. It's a New Orleans tradition.

Don’t forget to hit Igors Bar and Laundromat on St. Charles for literally the BEST bloody mary you will ever have in your life. Comes with a nice spicy green bean. Igors is only a couple of blocks from the fine daiquiri bar that serves them in an empty gallon milk jug with free foam cups to spread the wealth - much cheaper than the places on Bourbon, and much much stronger. Get one to go and bring to your tailgate.

Restaurants:
Jacquimos (on Oak- uptown) dinner only; ranging from 18-30 dollars. It is the most amazing creole/nola food that you will ever have! Lots of seafood
and authentic cuisine and the atmosphere is really fun...it is definitely an 'event' when you go there for dinner. It is a 'locals' place that we love...and one that I miss frequently! It's also Marrone's favorite restaurant in the city. Some of my favorites are the black bean salmon, carpet bagger, alligator pie, fried green tomatoes, and bbq shrimp.This is a restaurant that I would NOT miss (plan on dinner being a couple of hours with the wait unless you get there when they open at 6pm).

Vincents (on St Charles) – an awesome southern Italian joint with a new Orleans twist (lots of fresh seafood specials). Mob owned and operated, so you know it’s good. Last time I was there, I hung out with James Carville (“The Rajun Cajin”) at the bar. True story.

Near the French Qtr and not too far from the Superdom, check out Domenica, local chef John Besh’s new place. Realllly good food, one of his best restaurants.
La Crepe Nanou (on Prytania and Robert uptown) great French food with a New Orleans twist! Dinner only ranging from 10-26ish.
Café Rani: A quick and delicious lunch of salads, po-boys, gourmet sandwiches, pastas, etc. You can sit outside on the patio. This place is extremely affordable and excellent. It is located on Magazine Street , Uptown.

Out of Emeril's restaurants I would recommend NOLA which is downtown or Delmonico's which is uptown on St. Charles . It is not as "generic" as his restaurant named Emeril's in the quarter.

Ricobonno's Café is one of the best places to go for an authentic New Orleans breakfast. They have your traditional items like omelets and pancakes and more Cajun items like crawfish patties, eggs benedict with hollandaise and crawfish, etc.

Some fun bars/nightlife
  • The Howlin’ Wolf- Always a great place for live music from traditional NOLA jazz to funk
  • Dos Jefes-a very cozy uptown cigar bar with live jazz, great drinks, and appetizers (off magazine street).

Nice work Rags. I am going to try a couple of your recommendations this weekend...

I would also add that Mandina's Restaurant, on upper Canal serves the best Trout Meuniere I've ever had in my life. If you've never had it, try it. It's off the beaten path, relatively inexpensive, and very good.

Good call on Jacquimo's...

spent more time at Igors than I would like to admit, stayed at the Ponch in 2003 and plenty of jazz fests, right next door. Place at jazzfest is packed at 9 am

Restaurants:

Some fun bars/nightlife

Thanks Rags. Will be in San Diego this weekend and thus unable to take immediate advantage but will be in New Orleans for a long weekend in early November. Will be sure to print your post out and take it with me.

Huge fan of Nawlins, been six times... some items to add:
-Roasted garlic soup at NOLA is heavenly
-In the warehouse district (across canal down Tchoupitoulis) there's a great place called Couchon for a mix of southern food with some cajun love... Additionally, you can hit up one of the Lucy's locations there too (for all of you in need of a fishbowl)
-A favorite beer choice, the Abita Harvest Strawberry Lager (if it's still out)... don't drink a sixer, but it's a refreshing and non girly taste
-I'm not certain of specific places, but if you're a fan of vietnamese food, there's very authentic and low budget joints all over town...

Hope our boys don't hang around the french quarter the night before, or we'll be in for a rough game.

Let's go CUSE!

For those exploring, I highly recommend checking out Tulane's campus. A very beautiful southern campus worth a visit if you need a break from Bloody Marys at Igors on St Charles tomorrow morning.

I would also add that Mandina's Restaurant, on upper Canal serves the best Trout Meuniere I've ever had in my life. If you've never had it, try it. It's off the beaten path, relatively inexpensive, and very good.

Mandina's is a great restaurant! I stumbled onto that place when I was in NOLA. K-Pauls Louisiana Kitchen was excellent as well. They had a garlic martini that was very good.

NOLA is a great city!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom