Rak measured well at the combine | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rak measured well at the combine

I can't see Rakeem not making a roster and sticking in the league for quite a while. The undersized thing at center is way overplayed IMO. Just go down the rosters and look at the size of guys playing center especially the second unit guys. Plus Rak has very good measurable and is at least a high level athlete if not an elite one. Plus Rak has a real chance with his agility to improve his ball handling, stretch his range and play as a PF as well.

No question. My main point was comparing him to guys who aren't necessarily lighting up the stat sheet but have carved a nice tenure in the League.
I've always felt that the athletes with the most natural talent aren't the ones with the longest, most successful careers. A lot of times it's the guys who are the hardest workers and keep themselves in fantastic shape. They really treat their career as they should. There really isn't a huge difference in talent between the guys who are career 10 year backup NBA players and guys who can't get more than a cup of coffee. Look at Birdman. He has started 30 games in his career out of 656 games and has made $27 million bucks. He's done it but so many others have tried and failed.

Rak graduated college in three years. That alone should tell the NBA something about how hard a worker he is.

I can't see Rakeem not making a roster and sticking in the league for quite a while. The undersized thing at center is way overplayed IMO. Just go down the rosters and look at the size of guys playing center especially the second unit guys. Plus Rak has very good measurable and is at least a high level athlete if not an elite one. Plus Rak has a real chance with his agility to improve his ball handling, stretch his range and play as a PF as well.

I just think he will be a pure throwback PF in a certain system. Obviously a very athletic one who can hit a short jumper. I doubt he plays any center or very little at most. Just my $.02. Very curious to see who drafts him. End of 1st round maybe?

I've always felt that the athletes with the most natural talent aren't the ones with the longest, most successful careers. A lot of times it's the guys who are the hardest workers and keep themselves in fantastic shape. They really treat their career as they should. There really isn't a huge difference in talent between the guys who are career 10 year backup NBA players and guys who can't get more than a cup of coffee. Look at Birdman. He has started 30 games in his career out of 656 games and has made $27 million bucks. He's done it but so many others have tried and failed.

Yup. LOVE how he compared himself in that quick little interview on syracuse.com to Taj Gibson. A good athlete who is a tough lunch pail guy who does a little of everything.

Yup. LOVE how he compared himself in that quick little interview on syracuse.com to Taj Gibson. A good athlete who is a tough lunch pail guy who does a little of everything.
Here is another guy and really a decent comparison. Chris Dudley. Played sixteen years and made $38 million bucks. One of the absolute worst shooters in NBA history. Couldn't hit the side of a barn if it was 15 feet in front of him. But, he was a pretty good offensive rebounder, could block some shots and didn't mind mixing it up inside. Plus, he was another real smart kid who graduated from Yale.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dudlech02.html

Here is another guy and really a decent comparison. Chris Dudley. Played sixteen years and made $38 million bucks. One of the absolute worst shooters in NBA history. Couldn't hit the side of a barn if it was 15 feet in front of him. But, he was a pretty good offensive rebounder, could block some shots and didn't mind mixing it up inside. Plus, he was another real smart kid who graduated from Yale.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dudlech02.html

True, but amazingly he was able to drill Shaq with the ball with pinpoint accuracy, from about 50 feet away.

I would love to see the Heat find a way to grab him in the 2nd round. (Disclaimer didn't even look if the Heat have a 2nd round pick). I could see him over time becoming kind of like a Udonis Haslem. I could see him just working on that 10-15 footer and becoming a great pick & pop player.

if he dedicates himself to rebounding and defense, he could be a longer, more athletic Reggie Evans. Evans has turned his specialty into a lucrative niche - 13 years and $32M. The downside to that is the vagabond career Evans has had - 7 different teams and after his initial time with Seattle, no more than 2 years in the same city.

True, but amazingly he was able to drill Shaq with the ball with pinpoint accuracy, from about 50 feet away.

That's a great clip. Never saw it before. It's surprising that Dudley didn't flop or fall down when Shaq was backing him. I guess Dudley was stronger than I thought. Also not sure if that Yale education taught Dudley anything if he is picking a fight with Shaq. Pretty funny to watch.

That's a great clip. Never saw it before. It's surprising that Dudley didn't flop or fall down when Shaq was backing him. I guess Dudley was stronger than I thought. Also not sure if that Yale education taught Dudley anything if he is picking a fight with Shaq. Pretty funny to watch.

I don't know Shaq wasn't much of a fighter with that roundhouse punch that takes an hour for him to deliver. Guys didn't flop nearly as much back then and Shaq did discard Dudley needlessly after power dunking on him. I suspect Dudley was more upset about getting the facial than the little shove however.

Rak is currently on the deuce in the five on five game. He started and looked pretty good. They subbed everyone but him and he now looks possibly winded. After this TO, I would guess they will rest him. Had a nice slam.

Yeah, I remember dying laughing at the whole thing when it happened and it's still hilarious to me. Shaq shoving Dudley like that was so unnecessary and ridiculous that it was funny and it looked funny too. Dudley gets up fuming and immediately starts looking for the ball, actually hits him, and then starts yelling. So great.

if he dedicates himself to rebounding and defense, he could be a longer, more athletic Reggie Evans. Evans has turned his specialty into a lucrative niche - 13 years and $32M. The downside to that is the vagabond career Evans has had - 7 different teams and after his initial time with Seattle, no more than 2 years in the same city.

Reggie Evans plays with a special level of spazziness that would be difficult for anyone to match though. He steals rebounds from his own teammates, and was voted the dirtiest player in the league a few years ago by a wide margin.

I think Christmas has more skill, but it would be difficult for him(or anyone, really) to match the unique level of hustle(and everything else) that Evans brings.

Reggie Evans plays with a special level of spazziness that would be difficult for anyone to match though. He steals rebounds from his own teammates, and was voted the dirtiest player in the league a few years ago by a wide margin.

I think Christmas has more skill, but it would be difficult for him(or anyone, really) to match the unique level of hustle(and everything else) that Evans brings.

When he grabbed Chris Kaman's nuts was his low point (or high point, I guess)

all true, but I'm not advocating that he try to copy Reggie's style, just that I think that same niche role is one that Roc could thrive in for a long time

I figure rather than having a new post every time we hear an update on our guys trying to make it in the NBA, we can just keep it all in one thread? Delete if any mods think this is unnecessary, but I thought it might be a good idea.

Anyways, latest update is that Chad Ford spoke to an NBA GM that said they believe Christmas will start being considered in the late first or early 2nd after the way he's shown out at the combine this week.

Nothing on McCullough since he isn't participating, but he did measure out to be the super lengthy player teams covet, especially given that he has decent shooting touch. Needs to desperately bulk up though.

I figure rather than having a new post every time we hear an update on our guys trying to make it in the NBA, we can just keep it all in one thread? Delete if any mods think this is unnecessary, but I thought it might be a good idea.

Anyways, latest update is that Chad Ford spoke to an NBA GM that said they believe Christmas will start being considered in the late first or early 2nd after the way he's shown out at the combine this week.

I was excited for Rakeem when I read that...but then I remembered that Boeheim told us that Chad Ford doesn't know anything. Darn.

I have to think that Rak has drastically improved his draft position during the combine. He was absent on some mock drafts and mid 2nd round on most if I recall. I know some are optimistic that he might even be middle of the first round now but I still predict late first round to a playoff team that wants to add a big man to the rotation fairly cheaply who can contribute right away. These teams are looking to win a championship not wait on young prospects to develop. I can't think of one playoff team that couldn't use Rak in their front court rotation. In many ways its probably better for Rak as well when it comes to a second contract. He will likely get a pretty defined role on a team that relatively well run. If he helps one of these teams in the playoffs for 3 or 4 years while improving and increasing his role he could easily be in for a big payday.

Yeah, I remember dying laughing at the whole thing when it happened and it's still hilarious to me. Shaq shoving Dudley like that was so unnecessary and ridiculous that it was funny and it looked funny too. Dudley gets up fuming and immediately starts looking for the ball, actually hits him, and then starts yelling. So great.
The best part is when he clearly yells "Shaq Fu," in reference to Shaq's failed video game venture.

That must have stung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom