Class of 2017 - RB C J Holmes (CT) Dismissed from Notre Dame/ Walk on at PSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB C J Holmes (CT) Dismissed from Notre Dame/ Walk on at PSU

SU Target CJ Holmes Among the Stand-Outs at The Opening Regional in NJ (pennlive.com; Pickel)

• Some suspect that Philadelphia St. Joe's RB D'Andre Swift won't consider PSU because of its loaded running back depth chart, but the five-star and top player in PA said that isn't true. "I love competition," he said, adding he talks to receivers coach Josh Gattis and backs coach Charles Huff often. Florida State, Georgia, and Alabama have all picked up their interest of late.
  • Cheshire, Conn., Academy three-star athlete CJ Holmes has a top three: Syracuse, Penn State, and Tennessee, in no particular order. PSU likes him as a safety, the other two as a running back, and Holmes said he'd like to play offense but would consider playing defense. Among many factors, his future position will likely lead him to the school he chooses.
  • Here's a 2018 prospect to watch you may not know of yet but should: Jahan Dotson. He's a key cog in Nazareth's offense, and over 10 schools have offered. Penn State is certainly interested.

We need DeVito to stay on him. I am sure he is anyways.

Another kid that was really close to pulling the trigger that we're now going to need to pull out all the stops to land. Damn.

Indeed but it's better this way. theres nothing worse in recruiting than a flipper

This satellite camp thing is out of hand.

I agree with the NCAA.

It should have been denied -- or at least limited to 2-3.

Ridiculous.

This satellite camp thing is out of hand.

I agree with the NCAA.

It should have been denied -- or at least limited to 2-3.

Ridiculous.
Why limit kids chances to be seen by coaches? Only hurts them when they are canceled.

Whitey23 said:
Why limit kids chances to be seen by coaches? Only hurts them when they are canceled.

It forces schools to compete with other schools to hold as many camps as possible.

I think camps are okay, but there should be a limit. Michigan, for example, might hold one on the moon before we know it.

None of these camps are free. So some kids will be put at a disadvantage if they can't afford the cost of getting to and paying to attend these camps. You and I might not see it as a large expense but for some of these kids and families it is.

As for canceled camps the schools have to look at whether it is effective use of money and time. If you can get more kids to attend a satellite camp with other coaches it makes sense to cancel some on campus camps.

None of these camps are free. So some kids will be put at a disadvantage if they can't afford the cost of getting to and paying to attend these camps. You and I might not see it as a large expense but for some of these kids and families it is.

As for canceled camps the schools have to look at whether it is effective use of money and time. If you can get more kids to attend a satellite camp with other coaches it makes sense to cancel some on campus camps.
I agree for the most part, but this is where there is a little bit of a rub. Camps are an opportunity to get kids to see the campus, and the facilities. That said, I acknowledge and encourage running or participating in satellite camps, but there is bound to be some push back from people about taking away this tool for getting kids on campus. I find this argument more compelling than ones about off campus games (which can augment the program, but at the cost of the home crowd and game day revenue. Also these satellite camps can be a bit about haves and have nots. Is there no limit to how many or how much? There must be a cost to running them. bigger recruiting budgets will be at an advantage.

Michigan's camp is like $40. And if you limit the number of camps, you will make it even more costlier and more difficult for players to get to them.

BTW, does any other sport limit camps?

NJCuse97 said:
I agree for the most part, but this is where there is a little bit of a rub. Camps are an opportunity to get kids to see the campus, and the facilities. That said, I acknowledge and encourage running or participating in satellite camps, but there is bound to be some push back from people about taking away this tool for getting kids on campus. I find this argument more compelling than ones about off campus games (which can augment the program, but at the cost of the home crowd and game day revenue. Also these satellite camps can be a bit about haves and have nots. Is there no limit to how many or how much? There must be a cost to running them. bigger recruiting budgets will be at an advantage.

I actually think it helps teams like Syracuse more than a Michigan.

- everyone knows who the top talents are (4-5*) Michigan will get their share regardless.

- the most hazy spot in the recruiting rankings is the giant swath of 3* talent. There is great value in seeing a 3* kid in person.

- until we are in a position where we are plucking 4* kids, evaluation and digging is going to yield the best results.

Michigan's camp is like $40. And if you limit the number of camps, you will make it even more costlier and more difficult for players to get to them.

BTW, does any other sport limit camps?

Only $40 if you are a local kid. They aren't having camps in every state. Some of these kids are going to travel to get to these camps... if they can. So some kids are always going to be at a disadvantaged.

Going back to our recruiting backyard, it makes ALOT of sense for Syracuse to be participating in these satellite camps. This will allow kids in other areas to get involved with us if they aren't in our immediate backyard. Some kids aren't going to drive 8 hours to goto a camp in upstate NY but if it is down in central NJ, sure why not!

Only $40 if you are a local kid. They aren't having camps in every state. Some of these kids are going to travel to get to these camps... if they can. So some kids are always going to be at a disadvantaged.

I don't care if they have a billion camps, someone is always disadvantaged. That's life. That's history. What you try to do is provide as many opportunities as possible. Regulating, banning, temporarily freezing is counter to that. Sorry, I don't see any downside of allowing the camps. The real issue is we are fans of a school that heavily recruits NJ, so we don't like other major schools coming in and setting up camp.

I don't care if they have a billion camps, someone is always disadvantaged. That's life. That's history. What you try to do is provide as many opportunities as possible. Regulating, banning, temporarily freezing is counter to that. Sorry, I don't see any downside of allowing the camps. The real issue is we are fans of a school that heavily recruits NJ, so we don't like other major schools coming in and setting up camp.

Actually other schools coming in and setting up camps in NJ doesn't bother me. I want kids to get recruited...get a chance. All the kids aren't going to want to go to the same school and all the programs aren't going to recruit the same kids. My issue isn't SU centric. I would like to see satellite camps in every state and give every kid have a chance to be "discovered". Perhaps that should be how things are set up a centralized camp in every state with schools deciding which ones to participate.

Once a couple of the factories offered it was only a matter of time before they all did. Too bad he didn't commit when he was seriously considering it a couple of weeks back. Will be surprised if SU even gets an official visit at this point.

OrangeMojo said:
Once a couple of the factories offered it was only a matter of time before they all did. Too bad he didn't commit when he was seriously considering it a couple of weeks back. Will be surprised if SU even gets an official visit at this point.

He may have committed, then decommited a few months later.