Class of 2016 - RB/CB Joshua Mack (NY) Verbal to Maine/Transferred to Liberty | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB/CB Joshua Mack (NY) Verbal to Maine/Transferred to Liberty

So don't bother because they might verbal somewhere else? What?
Don't bother? They keep offering highly rated kids from Rochester and they will keep doing so. Making this about how Rochester is somehow neglected in recruiting is a strawman argument not ground in reality.

So... I was talking to a dear friend from HS, who happens to be the head coach of JMack in Pittsford, NY. Not sure if any of you from Central or Western NY have been following this young man, but you should. He is a RB/CB and my friend has told me he thinks Joshua is as good as any player in Rochester in the last 20 years (legit/not kidding). His stats from the his last game (wknd) 25 carries, 305yrds and 5td's. He is playing at 6'1/203. STUD!

The obvious question I asked: Has CUSE reached out, Answer: NO

I can't speak about Coach (Pittsford), but I think there is a feeling in upstate that CUSE is so enamored with the speed athletes out of Florida/South, they are missing out on kids that would leave a leg or arm on the field for the home state school. Of course, the argument against is the caliber of "talent" in NYS vs some of the other southern tier states = no comparison. I get all that.. Just saying, we have missed out on several "high profile" athletes Upstate and Downstate in the last 4 years that win or lose would love to have had them join us. (Jarron Jones played pretty well vs us in the ND game)

You would not be happy who has reached out to Joshua already. And let's be clear, this young man CARES about CUSE and would most likely be very interested.

My two cents and enjoy the gazillion touchdown runs in this video...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3953839/highlights

And YES, I emailed Eric White with my Bi-annual recruiting email...

GO CUSE and let's jump on this...
Gentlemen I know all about Josh. I am good friends with his uncle. I talked to his mom the other day actually. I didnt start a 2016 thread on him because I was waiting to see if he had a break out jr. year. He is starting to look how I thought he would. There will be some interviews coming out on him fairly soon. But Josh was at Gates Chili last season as a sophomore. He showed glimes of being a stand out but he was on a bad team so he didnt look overly impressive. He transferred back to Pittsford this year. Alot of people in Rochester knew about him but he didnt showcase these skills until this year. Dont think its fair to blame SU for lack of contact. They have been alerted

Don't bother? They keep offering highly rated kids from Rochester and they will keep doing so. Making this about how Rochester is somehow neglected in recruiting is a strawman argument not ground in reality.

I was responding to one person's comment specifically about how many times does the coaching staff need to be stabbed in the back by upstate recruits. I don't care if they offer or not this individual player, but an attitude of not offering because he or anyone else might go somewhere else is ridiculous. We NEED players that peer schools and elite schools covet, in our backyard and elsewhere. That's the only way we will compete talent-wise.

Gentlemen I know all about Josh. I am good friends with his uncle. I talked to his mom the other day actually. I didnt start a 2016 thread on him because I was waiting to see if he had a break out jr. year. He is starting to look how I thought he would. There will be some interviews coming out on him fairly soon. But Josh was at Gates Chili last season as a sophomore. He showed glimes of being a stand out but he was on a bad team so he didnt look overly impressive. He transferred back to Pittsford this year. Alot of people in Rochester knew about him but he didnt showcase these skills until this year. Dont think its fair to blame SU for lack of contact. They have been alerted

Does he project to RB or the defense with his size already? Thanks.

It's not just Rochester. Syracuse has had a tough time competing against Penn State, ND, etc. when recruiting kids. The Rochester kids we have missed on have gone on to pretty good schools.
I get that. But I was inquiring specifically about the Rochester area. If anyone doesn't want to put it out here, I'd really appreciate a PM just so I can get educated on the situation.

I was responding to one person's comment specifically about how many times does the coaching staff need to be stabbed in the back by upstate recruits. I don't care if they offer or not this individual player, but an attitude of not offering because he or anyone else might go somewhere else is ridiculous. We NEED players that peer schools and elite schools covet, in our backyard and elsewhere. That's the only way we will compete talent-wise.
I agree and will add that I think the staff has been doing that and will continue to do that.

I get that. But I was inquiring specifically about the Rochester area. If anyone doesn't want to put it out here, I'd really appreciate a PM just so I can get educated on the situation.
My point is that I don't think there is any "situation" specific to Rochester. If you get what I said, I am not sure why you are "shocked" about these recruits going elsewhere except for Collier who barely got on the field. By the way, Broyld and Scissum are proof we get some.

Just go get the best kids, don't care where they are from. We need athletes first, 1-2 years in the program and then they will be ready. To me this kid looks like another kid who will be solid but I read here from everybody we need more "playmakers" To me play makers have speed and elusiveness Don't get me wrong I think we will offer the kid but I am certainly not blown away. He reminds me of the kid from Onondaga that went to UCF and almost transferred here.
D
Give him a couple years in Hick's program... Nevermind

Latavius Murray? You know he plays for the Raiders right, and ran a 4.38 at his pro day?

I will gladly take an NFL caliber running back.

Last edited:
Latavius Murray? You know he plays for the Raiders right, and ran a 4.38 at his pro day?

I will gladly take an NFL caliber running back.
Easy and accurate to say now but when he was coming out of OCS all we heard was how bad his comp. was and it made him look good. I think when Murray considered transferring Marrone rejected it because (1) it would have been for a single year after a one year wait and (2) he didn't want to take a kid from O'Leary. And Murray really had a nice senior year... better than prior years. I am happy it worked out for him.

So don't bother because they might verbal somewhere else? What?
That's what I said. Is there a receiver as good as Steve Ishmael in New York ? No , case closed . The New York players have no loyalty to Syracuse and every time it comes down to signing day and we lose out the coaches look like chumps. There are not many of them anyways so why waste time , energy and money helping their draft status. All these players should be ours with a couple getting away , but the opposite is the case.

That's what I said. Is there a receiver as good as Steve Ishmael in New York ? No , case closed . The New York players have no loyalty to Syracuse and every time it comes down to signing day and we lose out the coaches look like chumps. There are not many of them anyways so why waste time , energy and money helping their draft status. All these players should be ours with a couple getting away , but the opposite is the case.
I some ways I agree with you but being a private school, Syracuse will not have the same hold on a kid that e.g. Penn St. would in PA or Michigan does in MI. The state schools (sans NY) have built-in loyalty because people grow up in the state. In Buffalo or Roch., people or parents who went to Canisius, Niagara, Bonnies, UB, Buff. St. U of R, etc. have no natural allegiance to Syracuse and may have the opposite feelings.

Last edited:
I some ways I agree with you but being a private school, Syracuse will not have the same hold on a kid that e.g. Penn St. would in PA or Michigan does in MI. The state school (sans NY) have built-in loyalty because people grow up in the state. In Buffalo or Roch., people or parents who went to Canisius, Niagara, Bonnies, UB, Buff. St. U of R, etc. have no natural allegiance to Syracuse and may have the opposite feelings.
That helps my argument. Don't waste time on them.

That helps my argument. Don't waste time on them.

That's not a very compelling argument. Why would we ignore fertile recuriting territory 75 milies from our campus? Just because we haven't had as much luck there recently? Sometimes, all it takes is for one big domino to topple to break the dam.

We've had a number of key players from the Rochester area over the years; we need to get back to that. I'm not saying that this prospect is or is not high major--although I trust Money's first hand perspective on the matter--but to abandon recruiting the Rochester region at all is defeatist, and a terrible idea.

Last edited:
Just go get the best kids, don't care where they are from. We need athletes first, 1-2 years in the program and then they will be ready. To me this kid looks like another kid who will be solid but I read here from everybody we need more "playmakers" To me play makers have speed and elusiveness Don't get me wrong I think we will offer the kid but I am certainly not blown away. He reminds me of the kid from Onondaga that went to UCF and almost transferred here.

Give him a couple years in Hick's program... Nevermind
Well sometimes you don't know who will come out as a playmaker. I mean would we have guesed that our best playmaker this year would be the punter? :)

It's not just Rochester. Syracuse has had a tough time competing against Penn State, ND, etc. when recruiting kids. The Rochester kids we have missed on have gone on to pretty good schools.
If you can't recruit your home area we all should throw in the towel and go home.

This is ridiculous when you look at some of the kids we landed and would have landed if Marrone didn't leave. We have two very good running backs committed in NYS and we are in great shape in future classes for a few others. To not recruit the state because "they have no loyalty" is silly, especially considering we aren't a state school.

This is ridiculous when you look at some of the kids we landed and would have landed if Marrone didn't leave. We have two very good running backs committed in NYS and we are in great shape in future classes for a few others. To not recruit the state because "they have no loyalty" is silly, especially considering we aren't a state school.
This goes back all the way to Dorsey Levins with me , who coach Mac begged and pleaded with, only to come up empty. It really hurt him.

This goes back all the way to Dorsey Levins with me , who coach Mac begged and pleaded with, only to come up empty. It really hurt him.
Did you want to go to your state's big school? I grew up in MA and wanted no part of BC or UMass because I didn't want to be close to home and I had better options elsewhere (Syracuse). Dorsey Levens went to Notre Dame out of high school, what kid isn't going to go there when he has the opportunity, especially with how good they were at the time.

Did you want to go to your state's big school? I grew up in MA and wanted no part of BC or UMass because I didn't want to be close to home and I had better options elsewhere (Syracuse). Dorsey Levens went to Notre Dame out of high school, what kid isn't going to go there when he has the opportunity, especially with how good they were at the time.
They were going to put the 44 on his back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom