Class of 2016 - RB/CB Joshua Mack (NY) Verbal to Maine/Transferred to Liberty | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB/CB Joshua Mack (NY) Verbal to Maine/Transferred to Liberty

Its more about who the sport is treated in the south for example the high school down the street from me started their pre-season camp before SU did ... they eat sleep and breath it down here ... camps and all that other stuff run rampant. I see kids from the local high schools in my gym banging weights all summer getting ready for the season. The regional thing is about level of commitment even the NE kids like those in Ohio eat sleep and breath ball which is why you get some great players from that state .. PA is the same way. Kids in NY aren't like that and not raised in a household that eats, sleeps and breaths football.
That sounds like a bad judgement call. Not fair to generalize all kids from NY. All the great players from NY that I know and have worked with eat, sleep, and breath football all year round. Multiple camps, 7 on 7 and training. I've coached football and basketball for years. Regardless of the location, it's still up to the individual. Talent is internal and not based on your geographic location. That's a myth. I could say that NY turns out much better basketball player than the south for the same reason you stated, but tha would be unfair!

CB, I'd say. Or worst case, FS.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but their is much more to running back than raw speed! Most of the raw speed backs are undersized and careers become limited to college level at best. I'll take a big back with 4.5 speed that's strong, elusive, great vision and hard to tackle over those litte scat-backs from the South any day.

That sounds like a bad judgement call. Not fair to generalize all kids from NY. All the great players from NY that I know and have worked with eat, sleep, and breath football all year round. Multiple camps, 7 on 7 and training. I've coached football and basketball for years. Regardless of the location, it's still up to the individual. Talent is internal and not based on your geographic location. That's a myth. I could say that NY turns out much better basketball player than the south for the same reason you stated, but tha would be unfair!
Of course its up to the individual but location does play apart. Consider the population of kids in the cities and urban areas of the south, the climate to play all year round, the parental and community support for football in Florida is 10 x's more than NYS. There's just more of that down there compared to NYS. NYS only plays 8 regular season games. Thats not enough to develop players. Any one or two individual players in NYS can be as good or better than a kid from florida. The difference is there's an overwhelming amount of kids who are good to great down there. Not as many up here because of those reasons I mentioned.

I hope people watch Josh Mack's film. The competition seems suspect but I don't know what is not to like about this kid. He is not a burner but has good speed, some elusiveness, catches the ball well, sees the field in imaginative ways and has a very good feel for the game, a dependable, move the chains runner and receiver out of the backfield for a good D1 team I would guess. ...He will probably go to Pitt and kill us for four years.

Last edited:
RoofBeam said:
I hope people watch Josh Mack's film. The competition seems suspect but I don't know what is not to like about this kid. He is not a burner but has good speed, some elusiveness, catches the ball well, sees the field in imaginative ways and has a very good feel for the game, a dependable, move the chains runner and receiver out of the backfield for a good D1 team I would guess. ...He will probably go to Pitt and kill us for four years.

I have been a Mack fan from day 1. Would love to see washingtons spot go to him.

Game 1 in the books. Pittsford 70, Churchville 14. Josh Mack 7 carries 198 yards, 4TDs, and 102 yard punt return in the first half. Very seasoned runner 12 year veteran. He can more than hold his own in the backfield!
Is there film to look at?

I Like the kid a lot but the staff hasn't offered for some reason. I guess they like others better. Best of luck to the kid though, he looks like a player for sure. Might be one we regret not offering but football recruiting is sucha numbers game, that is where the strength comes from.

I forgot just how much I loved this kids highlights. Just looks too good not to have any offers. Wonder if his grades are in order?

He could pass for a clone of Jordan Fredericks.

This kid is very efficient in running the ball as he doesn't waste energy. He is much faster than I thought from some of the posts I was reading.

All this said, kid doesn't even have a MAC offer at this point.. Not like we are the only ones who have NOT offered.

I'm sure a lot of schools are waiting to see how he does this year.

I'm sure a lot of schools are waiting to see how he does this year.
and maybe we are too, not like the kid is a big time recruit with a ton of offers right now. Not saying the kid isn't the second coming of Tony Dorsett either but if his dad wasn't here posting about him, nobody would even be discussing the kid at this length, not saying that is a bad thing either way but we will see where he ends up.

Game 1 in the books. Pittsford 70, Churchville 14. Josh Mack 7 carries 198 yards, 4TDs, and 102 yard punt return in the first half. Very seasoned runner 12 year veteran. He can more than hold his own in the backfield!

So if our staff reaching out at all?

My team plays him this week. Im just hoping we keep him under 200. That will be a positive. He is a stud. Great vision, patience and a smooth strider with decieving power
Money - any idea why no offers thus far?

actually, never mind - probably not good for you to share anything here even if you knew what was up

Money - any idea why no offers thus far?

actually, never mind - probably not good for you to share anything here even if you knew what was up
All I here from him and others that know is he is a good student. Dont think its academics. He only has a UTEP offer. I am totally surprised by that. He could be one of those who get lots of big offers late in the process.

and maybe we are too, not like the kid is a big time recruit with a ton of offers right now. Not saying the kid isn't the second coming of Tony Dorsett either but if his dad wasn't here posting about him, nobody would even be discussing the kid at this length, not saying that is a bad thing either way but we will see where he ends up.
We attended a number of camps and 7 on 7s this summer, most notify a recruitment camp at Marshall. Although he outperformed all the backs, as evidenced by the multitude of spectators that personally commended him at the end of the camp, the running back coach only communicated with a couple of smaller backs from the southern region. Their is a real misperception that somehow running backs from the south are just naturally better than those from the north! Ironically, I got a call from a recruiter from Orlando this past summer who asked if he could come down and attend his last year with his son at a private school in Orlando because he was impressed with his film and was sure that he would start on his team. Well, maybe if we had 2 years to go. We also attended camp at SU. We received invitations to BC, Old D, Rutgers, and UB. Went to BC last season and UB last week. Grades are pretty good...could technically graduate in January...in the end, a college education is most important!

I'm going against the grain here but I'm not sold. There are two things that would make me hesitate on offering Mack (specific to our offense)

I don't see the agility or initial burst we like in this zone scheme. We like one cut and up the field. Think of Erv and Moe. Fredericks is very decisive when he hits the hole and has great feet. I don't think it's a great fit here to be honest.

His film reminds me a bit of Mike Jones who played for a few years and was switched to WR. They both have an upright, gliding running style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom