Class of 2016 - RB/CB Joshua Mack (NY) Verbal to Maine/Transferred to Liberty | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB/CB Joshua Mack (NY) Verbal to Maine/Transferred to Liberty

Really don't understand your point. Are you speaking from personal account. It's not about the volume, it's about the talent and the academics. Poverty drives the desire in the south. I'm from the south and taught in New Orleans. Guys look at sports as an opportunity to get out of poverty in the South. But many miss one major point, EDUCATION! Getting a scholarship and keeping them are two different things. My cousin is a recruiter in Florida. Although they have talent, they can't get the guys to get an 18 on the ACT. He's been begging me to let my son live with him for past two years! The South may turn out more talent in volume, but we got em beat on academics! I'll take a good talent with good academics from the North (New York) over great talent with low academics from the South any day! As for Cuse going to the South, it haven't produced a successful team. So maybe they should seriously reconsider this practice!

No offense but I also live in the south and your statement about the academics in the south is northern bias. A large number of these kids see sports as an opportunity for a college education and the opportunity to escape poverty and they are not all from the south. Additionally the current GPA of the team indicates that you are incorrect.

Really don't understand your point. Are you speaking from personal account. It's not about the volume, it's about the talent and the academics. Poverty drives the desire in the south. I'm from the south and taught in New Orleans. Guys look at sports as an opportunity to get out of poverty in the South. But many miss one major point, EDUCATION! Getting a scholarship and keeping them are two different things. My cousin is a recruiter in Florida. Although they have talent, they can't get the guys to get an 18 on the ACT. He's been begging me to let my son live with him for past two years! The South may turn out more talent in volume, but we got em beat on academics! I'll take a good talent with good academics from the North (New York) over great talent with low academics from the South any day! As for Cuse going to the South, it haven't produced a successful team. So maybe they should seriously reconsider this practice!
It cant be personal. They are gonna get kids to fit their system that are high on their boards whether its local talent or not. As much as I would like them to , they are not going to get every kid in NYS that is precieved to be D1 talent. You also cant say that they dont recruit the area because they offered two kids who didnt have any other big offers (Riggins commited). Breedlove and Riggins are good players but they were under the radar. You have to give Cuse credit for finding them but Im not worried until I see other schools offer. Buffalo havent any offered them yet. Do Cuse miss out on some NY kids? Yes they do but this happens in every state. In each state there are hundreds of HS coaches and parents who are bitter because the instate D1 school is not recruiting their kid.

Last edited:
money3189 said:
It cant be personal. They are gonna get kids to fit their system that are high on their boards whether its local talent or not. As much as I would like them to , they are not going to get every kid in NYS that is precieved to be D1 talent. You also cant say that they dont recruit the area because they offered two kids who didnt have any other big offers (Riggins commited). Breedlove and Riggins are good players but they were under the radar. You have to give Cuse credit for finding them but Im not worried untl I see other schools offer. Buffalo havent any offered them yet. Do Cuse miss out on some NY kids? Yes they do but this happens in every state. In each state there are hundreds of HS coaches and parents who are bitter because the instate D1 school is not recruiting their kid.

Yep. I think they go by their board and that's based on fit (talent, academics, etc). Where they come from may play a small part - but you can't blow up your board to reach for anyone (no matter where they come from).

Started out as Urban Suburban now mother lives in District past 2 years. Been to several camps this summer. UTEP offered, invited to Marshall camp and did very well. Working with recruiter Jamarr Williams out of Florida. Grades not an issue. Scored 23 on recent ACT+. Will take it again. Cumulative GPA is currently 76. Already earned 22.5 credits. Will work to max out GPA senior year. I would like to see him at Cuse along with his friend and former teammate Demetrius Breedlove. These two guys started playing football together at 5 years old and were a great combination for years. I talk to Demetrius last week about Cuse and he is interested. Cuse gotta do a better job of attracting local talent. If UTEP can fly up twice and offer Joshua Mack, what the heck is wrong with Cuse staff? Stop falling in love with the myth about players from the South.
Flip that script and tell guys like DeHond to stop falling in love with schools from the south. Mr. Mack, it works both ways. Not every kid fits the team or system just because he's from NY or has qualified academically. I would love to see SU get more NY talent, but a lot of it leaves us, not the other way around. Look at the top 5 prospects from NY the last 5 years and see what I mean.

Yes that myth that the south produces so many talented players. NYS is just churning them out left and right ... between Ebo, Chad Kelly and Ishaq we have a real All American squad. Maybe if the local talent didn't overstate their value they wouldn't get passed over ... why repeatedly go after kids that think they are too good to give you the time of day and don't want to be there? Go flounder at ND, PSU, Clemson or where ever else they feel the need. If NYS produced as much as GA, FL, AL or even TN then SU wouldn't have to go south.

There are certain positions where certain regions excel at. You can build a wonderful core of tough, strong, In the box players from the northeast. As for raw speed in the backfields and on the edges you need to go south. Was just at the junior olympic nationals in jacksonville with my 14 year old and you would not believe how many and how fast these kids from the southeast, texas and the gulf states are. Got to the point where I was properly calling 1st and 2nd place finishers in heats just based on what region the kids represented.

There are certain positions where certain regions excel at. You can build a wonderful core of tough, strong, In the box players from the northeast. As for raw speed in the backfields and on the edges you need to go south. Was just at the junior olympic nationals in jacksonville with my 14 year old and you would not believe how many and how fast these kids from the southeast, texas and the gulf states are. Got to the point where I was properly calling 1st and 2nd place finishers in heats just based on what region the kids represented.

Its more about who the sport is treated in the south for example the high school down the street from me started their pre-season camp before SU did ... they eat sleep and breath it down here ... camps and all that other stuff run rampant. I see kids from the local high schools in my gym banging weights all summer getting ready for the season. The regional thing is about level of commitment even the NE kids like those in Ohio eat sleep and breath ball which is why you get some great players from that state .. PA is the same way. Kids in NY aren't like that and not raised in a household that eats, sleeps and breaths football.

You really don't get it do you? For someone with a "superior education" I shouldn't have to explain this. You do realize that this massive educational divide you speak of isn't nearly as pronounced as you think. I mean its a miracle all those southern kids SU does recruit don't just flunk out ... its a festivus miracle! There are fine academic institutions in the south GT is a prime example. And the kids that go to play D1 are absolutely looking to play professionally .. what kind of idiot wouldn't? Why not let your son live there .. seems to me he would have easy A's ... last I knew an ACT score didn't translate to superior talent ... you feel jaded because your son didn't get a scholly but don't let it cloud your vision ... how many All-ACC or All-American performers ... or All-Conference anythings come from NY vs the southern states ... you get back to me when you are done running through fingers and toes.

Its more about who the sport is treated in the south for example the high school down the street from me started their pre-season camp before SU did ... they eat sleep and breath it down here ... camps and all that other stuff run rampant. I see kids from the local high schools in my gym banging weights all summer getting ready for the season. The regional thing is about level of commitment even the NE kids like those in Ohio eat sleep and breath ball which is why you get some great players from that state .. PA is the same way. Kids in NY aren't like that and not raised in a household that eats, sleeps and breaths football.
Absolutely right on this. NYS doesnt put enough emphasis on football. The weather helps down there too. We cant get in the off season work outside like the warm weather states do. Kind of hard to get motivated in December when all you see is snow. Those guys are doing skill work and 7v7 leauges all year long ,while we are shoveling snow

In terms of fall sports I think Soccer is more popular in NYS, but that's just my opinion

Absolutely right on this. NYS doesnt put enough emphasis on football. The weather helps down there too. We cant get in the off season work outside like the warm weather states do. Kind of hard to get motivated in December when all you see is snow. Those guys are doing skill work and 7v7 leauges all year long ,while we are shoveling snow

I was told by a lacrosse coach in Georgia, I believe it's Grayson High School in Gwinette County, they had an enrollment of 6,000 students and so they split into two High Schools now with 3,000 students each. Ginormous, anyhow, the kids who play football for Grayson - play YEAR ROUND - are NOT allowed to play any other sports. It's football 365.

I was told by a lacrosse coach in Georgia, I believe it's Grayson High School in Gwinette County, they had an enrollment of 6,000 students and so they split into two High Schools now with 3,000 students each. Ginormous, anyhow, the kids who play football for Grayson - play YEAR ROUND - are NOT allowed to play any other sports. It's football 365.

Yep and Grayson is about 30 mins from me and puts out a healthy amount of talent ... of course they are all dumb ... I mean come on the best Bo Peek could do was Stanford ... ugh the stereotypes people will buy into blow my mind ... we can't all be as intelligent as a recently departed SU H-Back with that high powered NYS education.

Yep and Grayson is about 30 mins from me and puts out a healthy amount of talent ... of course they are all dumb ... I mean come on the best Bo Peek could do was Stanford ... ugh the stereotypes people will buy into blow my mind ... we can't all be as intelligent as a recently departed SU H-Back with that high powered NYS education.

My Aunt and 2 cousins teach in Forsyth so I cringe at the stereotypes. Auntie is a former New Yorker and SU grad. My other Georgia cousin was accepted into the US Naval Academy they must have had to fill their dumb student quota.

The lax coach told me about the football players because he can't get them to play lacrosse because of football. The football athletes are unbelievable he says.

Last edited:
My Aunt and 2 cousins teach in Forsyth so I cringe at the stereotypes. Auntie is a former New Yorker and SU grad. My other Georgia cousin was accepted into the US Naval Academy they must have had to fill their dumb student quota.

The lax coach told me about the football players because he can't them to play lacrosse because of football. The football athletes are unbelievable he says.
And that is the very reason why Lacrosse is so good up here.

Last edited:

I'm from PA and it's hit or miss depending on what part of the state and for football that's all true.

What I was referring to was raw speed though as in track numbers. 100, 200, 400 and all relays at nationals were dominated by southern kids. Must be something in the water. The fastest 17-18 year old guy in the 100m from region 1 or 2 which is New England and Western NY/PA/NJ was from Rochester and placed 46th. There was another guy from Pittsburgh that was faster at Regionals but wasn't at nationals and would've placed ~16th but that' only 2 kids in the top 60 from north of Maryand and west of Ohio.

I'm from PA and it's hit or miss depending on what part of the state and for football that's all true.

What I was referring to was raw speed though as in track numbers. 100, 200, 400 and all relays at nationals were dominated by southern kids. Must be something in the water. The fastest 17-18 year old guy in the 100m from region 1 or 2 which is New England and Western NY/PA/NJ was from Rochester and placed 46th. There was another guy from Pittsburgh that was faster at Regionals but wasn't at nationals and would've placed ~16th but that' only 2 kids in the top 60 from north of Maryand and west of Ohio.

Its not the water ... per Sperlings typically the water quality in the SE is rather average. There was an article about kids in the Florida panhandle that chased rabbits and developed insane speed and change of direction skills ... that tradition still exists today ... I'll see if I can find it ... but it relates from being able to train and run year round with various objectives.

Its not the water ... per Sperlings typically the water quality in the SE is rather average. There was an article about kids in the Florida panhandle that chased rabbits and developed insane speed and change of direction skills ... that tradition still exists today ... I'll see if I can find it ... but it relates from being able to train and run year round with various objectives.

Muck boys/muck city and I'm well aware. That's central FL vs the panhandle though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3286059

I wonder if this is just a result of more time and development vs actual athleticism and speed. Guys like Q Ismail and M Harrison were not slow. D Darius was not slow. Carl Lewis is from NJ. I think the NE athletes just lack the time/experience/focused training, but they can make up the difference in a developmental program. I think the NE will see a lot more indoor facilities and practice bubbles in the future.

I wonder if this is just a result of more time and development vs actual athleticism and speed. Guys like Q Ismail and M Harrison were not slow. D Darius was not slow. Carl Lewis is from NJ. I think the NE athletes just lack the time/experience/focused training, but they can make up the difference in a developmental program. I think the NE will see a lot more indoor facilities and practice bubbles in the future.

Had a very good discussion about this with my friend who played D2 ball. There is a reason many of the top JUCO, 1AA, and D2 schools are in the Northeast and Midwest. They get more developmental guys and have them in their systems for 2 to 3 years before the are expected to start. They know the system well and have extra time to physically mature vs many Southern (see Texas, etc) where kids that are a year older coming out of high school since they start them later and/or hold them back a year in some cases. Some high schools build for football. Big difference between a 17 year old HS senior and a 19 y/o. Think Estime almost 20 by the time he hit campus for example.

At smaller schools you can take guys that might not see the college field for 3 years vs P5 programs where you hope your guys are getting NFL graded after 3 years. That's why I'm very happy how SU's recruiting is trending getting more guys who are physically ready from day 1. It's a progression but we are getting there and I think you can see that with the past 5 recruiting cycles over the prior 5.

You guys are missing one thing football is disappearing. Yes the northern schools and players are at a disadvantage because the season is half as long as southern states. they have more playing time and exposure to learn. But no one is investing money in football. My son Ryan started playing football 8 years ago at age 7 he stopped when he got to high school. His first year on e team there was 3 teams with 30 kids each. This year the town barely got 1 team with 18 kids. the a team is stealing kids from b team to make a full 15 kid team. parents arent letting kids play because of head injuries. This year high schools in mass no longer allow contact in practice! there is a town in california looking to ban football all together. Football is dying kids are playing other sports. My 1 yearold will be lucky if pop warner exists in 6 years

Belle Glades

Josh Mack said:
Started out as Urban Suburban now mother lives in District past 2 years. Been to several camps this summer. UTEP offered, invited to Marshall camp and did very well. Working with recruiter Jamarr Williams out of Florida. Grades not an issue. Scored 23 on recent ACT+. Will take it again. Cumulative GPA is currently 76. Already earned 22.5 credits. Will work to max out GPA senior year. I would like to see him at Cuse along with his friend and former teammate Demetrius Breedlove. These two guys started playing football together at 5 years old and were a great combination for years. I talk to Demetrius last week about Cuse and he is interested. Cuse gotta do a better job of attracting local talent. If UTEP can fly up twice and offer Joshua Mack, what the heck is wrong with Cuse staff? Stop falling in love with the myth about players from the South.

Fwiw I am a huge fan of Mack. Would love to see him at Cuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom