Class of 2014 - RB Derrick Gore (NY) Transferring from Alabama to ULM | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 RB Derrick Gore (NY) Transferring from Alabama to ULM

efea247b-90db-42a2-d4e4-dd8f8803803e-large16x9_340f9bbad43e4517df3ef70e396e053cDERRICKGORE.jpg

Syracuse native and Nottingham High School graduate Derrick Gore announced via social media he would be transferring from Alabama Football.

Gore walked-on with the Crimson Tide after playing junior college football in Coffeyville, Kansas.

In his first year with Alabama he earned a National Championship, of course this season the Tide fell to Clemson.

Gore scored a rushing touchdown against Florida in the SEC Championship as well as blocking a kick in that game. He rushed for 93 yards on the year.

As part of his post on Instagram, Gore says "To be clear, I want to give a special thanks to Coach Saban and Coach Burns for giving this kid from NY a shot."

One can assume Gore is looking for a place to see more action in his final two years of eligibility.

Derrick Gore - 2016 Football Roster - ROLLTIDE.COM - University of Alabama Official Athletics Site

Arrived at the Captsone as an invited walk-on from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College where he missed the 2014 season due to injury ... played at Milford Academy in 2013 where he rushed 40 times for 257 yards and three touchdowns ... played for head coach Nick Patterson at Nottingham High School in Syracuse prior to prep school ... had offers from Buffalo out of high school.
Nick Patterson coached my son this year at Marcellus...Rumor has it he will be their next Head coach when Joe Fiachi retires soon

He's sitting out a year, correct? Or is he a grad transfer?

Either way, if he wants to come home - I'd take him.

Unless he's a grad transfer, yes.

why would a walkon at one institution have to sit out if he transferred as a walkon to another institution ? They don't sign binding papers that I'm aware.

why would a walkon at one institution have to sit out if he transferred as a walkon to another institution ? They don't sign binding papers that I'm aware.

They are on the team. Doesn't matter.

Seems like one of those things that makes too much sense to happen (our need, his playing time/closeness to home). Hope that I am wrong! Kid seems universally loved and a warrior.

Congratulations Derrick for your success and representing the 315. Have to do what's right for you regardless of other's opinions.

No. Not true.

He was a preferred walk-on.

From his bio: Arrived at the Captsone as an invited walk-on from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College where he missed the 2014 season due to injury

He'll have to sit.

He was a preferred walk-on.

From his bio: Arrived at the Captsone as an invited walk-on from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College where he missed the 2014 season due to injury

He'll have to sit.

You look to be correct BUT looking through the four factors, we don't know how much communication the Bama staff had with him regarding visits, NLI, etc.. a case could be made from a school's compliance office.

But did he graduate from JUCO and then walk on. In that case he hasn't used the walk on transfer exception yet.

Free Article from 2015

Walk-on Derrick Gore turning heads at Alabama

The true sophomore runner, who has four years to play three at 'Bama, is from upstate New York, attended a prep school and junior college before visiting and enrolling at Alabama just prior to fall camp beginning.

“Hell of a kid, on the field and off the field,” Nick Patterson, Gore’s coach at Syracuse (N.Y.) Nottingham High School, said. “Academically, socially, he’s just a hard worker. He didn’t qualify with a (test) score out of high school, but he had some mid-major D1 offers, Buffalo and some of the MAC schools. So he went to prep school, to Milford Academy, where I used to coach, back when Shady McCoy was there. He went there, qualified, but still didn’t get the looks he thought he deserved.

“I told him, ‘hey, it’s up to you. Do what you want to do, what you feel is best. You don’t want to live with regrets.’ He said he was going to go JUCO, play a year there, graduate and go from there.”

Gore attended Coffeyville Community College in Kansas for the 2014 season, drawing rave reviews in the spring and in fall camp per At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s JUCO expert Derek Young. However, he suffered an injury and elected to sit out the year.

Interesting...he must know who Mike Hart is...wonder if there is any mutual interest.

Gore is thought of very highly in the Bama program. Many of their fans view him as a guy who could get plenty of carries at quite a few SEC programs but just would never get the chance at Bama as they bring in high 4 star and 5 star backs every year. He had a huge blocked punt in the first half of the SECCG and also a 10 yd touchdown run in the fourth quarter when back ups were in.

He would be a great addition to the backfield both on the field and in the locker room coming from a winning program and bringing those habits with him.

At this point all we know is that he's leaving Bama, right? We haven't heard of any interest on his end, or coaches following him on Twitter or anything, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom