Class of 2015 - RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI

It worked twice, Brown to Davis and Davis to Little.

Worked? What does that mean?

You think Ernie Davis knew that Floyd Little would be a sure fire Hall of Famer when he recruited him to wear the number? He didn't. And that's the point. Putting that number on a shelf or reserving it for a senior RB isn't the tradition and it's not the tradition that Brown, Davis and Little established.

Eh. You may be right about how we unretire it, but surprisingly, other upperclassmen haven't jumped off the top of Brewster Hall when it was awarded in the past.
Because it was so long ago and the kids back then weren't as entitled and it wasn't as easy to hurt feelings as it is now.

I think Dontae Strickland is probably the biggest recruit in this class, but he's not a "deserving blue chip recruit". People here think way too highly of the number 44. It's a decent tradition that people over state.

A kid would rather wear his lucky number or high school number than 44.

Completely disagree about the tradition of it, agree that kids today don't care and they don't care because we retired it. rob Konrad was absolutely worthy of the 44 jersey out of high school fwiw. Kid was a fantastic talent, didn't get a ton of touches at Syracuse and was still a pretty high draft pick, he was legit. 5 star type recruit

I'd prefer to see 44 be more of a leadership/captain designation and not at all based on talent. Year-to-year, talent can fluctuate. Kid who was in a position to where it multiple years,if he didn't put up big numbers, would get unnecessary heat.

Also, if I were HNSS, I'd have a special 44 jersey just worn for practice. Who ever busting his ass Sun-Fri gets to carry on the legacy for the program via the jersey. Make kids fight all week to get the honor of wearing 44 at SU.

You think Ernie Davis knew that Floyd Little would be a sure fire Hall of Famer when he recruited him to wear the number? He didn't. And that's the point. Putting that number on a shelf or reserving it for a senior RB isn't the tradition and it's not the tradition that Brown, Davis and Little established.

What it means is that after Brown, two players who wore that number were able to reach, or at least come close to the bar that Brown had set. After that trio, there was an expectation that whomever was given that number had big shoes to fill. Most, if not all, didn't fill them. That's What that meant.

Completely disagree about the tradition of it, agree that kids today don't care and they don't care because we retired it. rob Konrad was absolutely worthy of the 44 jersey out of high school fwiw. Kid was a fantastic talent, didn't get a ton of touches at Syracuse and was still a pretty high draft pick, he was legit. 5 star type recruit

Agreed wholeheartedly. Unretire it, give it to an upperclassman at first who has earned it and can handle it before his junior year - let the media hype it up - watch him lead us to what we hope are two good years - or one year and go pro - and use it as a recruiting tool for future classes. It doesn't take much of a visionary to see how this might work to the advantage of a coaching staff, no matter who they are.

To diminish the "44" tradition and call it "decent" is ridiculous. There's a reason the University changed the zip code and the first 3 digits of every phone number on the hill after the area code.

It's part of Syracuse University's fabric - and to say it's overstated just shows you don't respect the past as much as you should.

Good post.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Unretire it, give it to an upperclassman at first who has earned it and can handle it before his junior year - let the media hype it up - watch him lead us to what we hope are two good years - or one year and go pro - and use it as a recruiting tool for future classes. It doesn't take much of a visionary to see how this might work to the advantage of a coaching staff, no matter who they are.

To diminish the "44" tradition and call it "decent" is ridiculous. There's a reason the University changed the zip code and the first 3 digits of every phone number on the hill after the area code.

It's part of Syracuse University's fabric - and to say it's overstated just shows you don't respect the past as much as you should.
It's "decent" in 2014. It used to be a great tradition, was diminished after some disappointing players wore it, and means nothing to non college football diehards outside of Syracuse right now. If you asked people what number Jim Brown wore in college I bet they'd answer 32.

I respect the past and the tradition of the program but as a 24 year old, you have to realize that if I wasn't an SU student I'd have no clue about the number and probably wouldn't care.

I think you explain it (esp on visits with all the 44 stuff and the Heisman), you use it as a "you could earn your way to this number" - "you already have the potential, if you work hard and prove it in and off the field you could be the next great 44." And then you follow through if the kid earns it, you make a big deal about it. If you do it that way, the kid is getting serious pub, national attention, a mention during every broadcast - then when you float it in front of the next recruit - there is history AND a renewed tradition to get behind.

Publicity wise - it would be a much bigger deal than having the thing retired.

What it means is that after Brown, two players who wore that number were able to reach, or at least come close to the bar that Brown had set. After that trio, there was an expectation that whomever was given that number had big shoes to fill. Most, if not all, didn't fill them. That's What that meant.

Unless you have a crystal ball, the nature of the tradition pretty much guarantees that whomever you give it to isn't guaranteed to win a Heisman or be a Hall of Famer.

We definitely have a different understanding of what the tradition is and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
It's "decent" in 2014. It used to be a great tradition, was diminished after some disappointing players wore it, and means nothing to non college football diehards outside of Syracuse right now. If you asked people what number Jim Brown wore in college I bet they'd answer 32.

I respect the past and the tradition of the program but as a 24 year old, you have to realize that if I wasn't an SU student I'd have no clue about the number and probably wouldn't care.

Who cares what people outside of Syracuse think about the tradition of 44? It's not for them. It's for Syracuse University, Syracuse football players, and Syracuse Fans. It's not about how cool we can make ourselves look through the lens of ESPN. It's about Syracuse being Syracuse. Jim Brown. Ernie Davis. Floyd Little. 44.

Everyone is overthinking this issue.

Last edited:
Whatever the staff, SU and the former 44's decide I'll be fine with.

If Strickland is as good or better than Morris and McFarland, I'm a happy camper.

I heard there is a guy that has verbally committed to SU, a RB named Strickland. Maybe we should change the title of this thread to #44/un-retire or not. By the way have you seen the background to his twitter page now. It is a picture of the carrier dome football field and his picture has him wearing a SU shirt. Just trying to get this thread back on track. :)

Yes, Ernie and the Orange staff knew exactly what they were getting in Floyd Little.

Yes, Ernie and the Orange staff knew exactly what they were getting in Floyd Little.

And Ernie and the staff knew that Floyd wouldn't suffer a career ending injury his sophomore year too right?

Can we get back on point and discuss Dontae? Go start another thread on the football board if you want to discuss 44 and it's highly debated impact on recruiting. Good lord...

Can we get back on point and discuss Dontae? Go start another thread on the football board if you want to discuss 44 and it's highly debated impact on recruiting. Good lord...

Dontae discussing the 44 on twitter with Shy is what spurred the conversation. Just wanted to point that out. Not like a bunch of people just randomly decided to start discussing the 44 in his thread.

But I agree, with the overabundance of new information available about him during a recruiting dead period, we really should get back on topic. :D

Last edited:
Saying that kids today don't care is kind of ignorant.

Think of what a kid like Aj Long would do to wear 44. He's a big recruit as well.

Saying that kids today don't care is kind of ignorant.

Think of what a kid like Aj Long would do to wear 44. He's a big recruit as well.
He's not a running back so I don't think he'd do anything...

Imagine if we were actually fortunate enough someday to have another transcendental RB wearing Orange that could be mentioned in the same breath as Brown, Davis, and Little. Now imagine him wearing another number, one without the significance, such as 26, 29, 37, etc. That would be a real shame. I think that could hurt the legacy of 44 more than giving the number to a kid or two that disappoints.

Marroniac said:
Imagine if we were actually fortunate enough someday to have another transcendental RB wearing Orange that could be mentioned in the same breath as Brown, Davis, and Little. Now imagine him wearing another number, one without the significance, such as 26, 29, 37, etc. That would be a real shame. I think that could hurt the legacy of 44 more than giving the number to a kid or two that disappoints.

Like Joe Morris? He was surely 44 worthy.

Not everyone is interested in the pressure that would be placed on them, if they were to wear a historically significant jersey number. Some people don't want the pressure of the baggage, and some just want to create their own path. There is nothing wrong with either.

On the other hand, some people thrive on the pressure, and it brings out the best in them. As long as they understand who they are and what is best for them, that is what is most important.

He's not a running back so I don't think he'd do anything...

I'm saying a kid like him. A kid with his passion and drive. Saying they don't exist anymore is ignoring evidence being thrown in your face.

I think the way 44 needs to be used is not a recruiting tool to freshman, but it needs to be completely rebranded to create a new identity. Kids need to earn it. I love the idea of it being a reward in practice. A junior or senior leader should be given the opportunity to wear it. Maybe the best player from the previous week gets to wear it next week. There are several ways to bring 44 back into the community without just giving it to a RB.

I think the way 44 needs to be used is not a recruiting tool to freshman, but it needs to be completely rebranded to create a new identity. Kids need to earn it. I love the idea of it being a reward in practice. A junior or senior leader should be given the opportunity to wear it. Maybe the best player from the previous week gets to wear it next week. There are several ways to bring 44 back into the community without just giving it to a RB.

That's how I view it should be used. I'm not a big fan of using it as something to give to a freshman right away unless he is truly a phenomenal prospect. I'm all for giving it to a player who has proven himself either on the practice-field and the coaches think he will explode or that he already blew up the previous year. As long as the staff feels a player deserves it, then I am totally fine with it because I always looked for the 44 as a kid.