Class of 2015 - RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI

I bring this up every so often, but Marrone said 44 was on the table for the right player at a Spring Football event like...4 years ago?

Bam?
I know on our visit they told us the number is retired but if a true beast were to emerge they would bring it back for the right player. I guess Strickland is planning in being that player. Great to have goals and wish him the best on his quest... But that is a huge undertaking to start talking about before you even hit summer camp. Let's hope he backs it up

I know on our visit they told us the number is retired but if a true beast were to emerge they would bring it back for the right player. I guess Strickland is planning in being that player. Great to have goals and wish him the best on his quest... But that is a huge undertaking to start talking about before you even hit summer camp. Let's hope he backs it up
You got to like the attitude though, and a kid embracing the history that comes with it, and have it mean something to a young man enough to say he wants it, is in itself a good thing for the program.

I wonder what Juniors George Morris and Devantae McFarland would feel about that? Just seems like too much trouble and too much unnecessary pressure.

Leave 44 retired.

Bnoro...you are a terrific poster with great takes on everything, particularly recruiting. However, I really disagree on the 44 issue. I know it has been discussed on here ad nauseum (sp?) but I really believe you use every tool in the shed when it comes to recruiting.

Since that USF game where they retired it, the reference to 44, the prior greats who wore it and the historical ties to the University have waned. Every game when Richardson, Owens, Konrad, etc. was wearing the jersey would lead to an in game telecast vignette on the number, the legends, etc.

Now that is far more the exception than the rule. As long as we are trumpeting the number on campus and once players get in for visits, etc. my opinion is we should be giving the rare player who can handle it and who wants it the opportunity...and I have come around FWIW to the idea of a team vote to award the jersey to an upperclassmen each year if need be based on leadership, success on the field, etc.

Current recruits focus on who the last one was to wear a number at a school. If it sways a single recruit or helps with his family, I say go for it.

That being said, really happy we got Strickland no matter what number he wears...

SUOrange44

I dunno. There were a couple of 44's who hardly did honor to the number even though it was used as a recruiting tool. For example,Marty Januskiewicz(sp?) wore it when I was on the Hill. When he couldn't live up to it, he became the opposite of a fan favorite. Which wasn't really fair to him.

It either means something or it gets cheapened. I'd rather award it when someone demonstrates they're worthy of it.

Don't leave 44 retired if it lands us big recruits.

There have been a LOT of Heisman Trophy winners who had the opportunity to wear #44 for Syracuse who still chose to go somewhere else.

I think the last 5 star stud RB who bought into the Legend of 44 ... was Floyd Little.

Face it, the number only has meaning to SU fans. It hasn't been an effective recruiting tool for decades.

There have been a LOT of Heisman Trophy winners who had the opportunity to wear #44 for Syracuse who still chose to go somewhere else.

I think the last 5 star stud RB who bought into the Legend of 44 ... was Floyd Little.

Face it, the number only has meaning to SU fans. It hasn't been an effective recruiting tool for decades.

Rob Konrad bought in ... that was a big pitch the staff made to him when recruiting him.

I dunno. There were a couple of 44's who hardly did honor to the number even though it was used as a recruiting tool. For example,Marty Januskiewicz(sp?) wore it when I was on the Hill. When he couldn't live up to it, he became the opposite of a fan favorite. Which wasn't really fair to him.

It either means something or it gets cheapened. I'd rather award it when someone demonstrates they're worthy of it.

Marty didn't wear 44. You're probably confusing him with Rich Panczyszyn, a quarterback who wore it after Little. About the same era.

http://cuse.com/sports/2006/1/18/fb44bios.aspx