Class of 2017 - RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers

It doesn't come down to Syracuse or Dino at all.
You have alot of posts and a good tenure on this fan board so I will just say agree to disagree. If Dino wants Gus, however, he will be Orange.

(Unless there are transfer restrictions)

You have alot of posts and a good tenure on this fan board so I will just say agree to disagree. If Dino wants Gus, however, he will be Orange.

(Unless there are transfer restrictions)
Agree with this 100%

This seems to speak only to grad transfers being exempt from sitting out a year...
But nowhere in the transfer rules does it say that a graduate transfer can be blocked from transferring to another ACC school. The problem with a regular transfer is that they have to obtain a release from the current school to transfer. One that releases them from their current LOI. Once you graduate you have fulfilled your contract with the school. They should have no say in where you may transfer to.

Now watch I will be completely wrong.

But nowhere in the transfer rules does it say that a graduate transfer can be blocked from transferring to another ACC school. The problem with a regular transfer is that they have to obtain a release from the current school to transfer. One that releases them from their current LOI. Once you graduate you have fulfilled your contract with the school. They should have no say in where you may transfer to.

Yeah, difficult to fathom these written and unwritten transfer rules. The Maurice Smith transfer from Bama to Georgia involved a grad transfer, but he need a SEC waiver to countermand Saban's refusal...

My sources aren't nearly as strong as most here, but I have heard it will come down to a dance off between Dino and Ash. Channing Tatum is supposed to be a celebrity judge.

Then , i like the offensivs minded HC over the meathead. Get on the bus, GUS!

that was my logic as well, but I discovered it is incorrect according to the NCAA rules when I went to check.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D117.pdf

By my reading of the NCAA graduate transfer rules, Edwards would need Miami to grant a release. Obviously that is not a given because of the fact that Miami plays Syracuse next year. Richt may decide it isn't worth the public relations backlash or that he isn't worried about Edwards, but the decision is Miami's and nobody can compel their hand.

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 4/27/06, 1/6/07 effective 8/1/07, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 7/31/14)
(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;
(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and
(c) The student’s previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception.
The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1): (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/11/97, 11/1/00 effective 8/1/01, 4/26/01, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 4/27/06 effective 10/15/06, 12/15/06, 4/27/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 4/22/11) (
a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men’s ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football;
(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6 (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception);
(c) At the time of transfer to the certifying institution (see Bylaw 14.5.2), the student would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred, except that he or she is not required to have fulfilled the necessary percentage-of-degree requirements at the previous institution; and
(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student’s previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If an institution receives a written request for a release from a student-athlete, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, the release shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide a written release to the student-athlete.

that was my logic as well, but I discovered it is incorrect according to the NCAA rules when I went to check.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D117.pdf

By my reading of the NCAA graduate transfer rules, Edwards would need Miami to grant a release. Obviously that is not a given because of the fact that Miami plays Syracuse next year. Richt may decide it isn't worth the public relations backlash or that he isn't worried about Edwards, but the decision is Miami's and nobody can compel their hand.

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 4/27/06, 1/6/07 effective 8/1/07, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 7/31/14)
(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;
(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and
(c) The student’s previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception.
The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1): (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/11/97, 11/1/00 effective 8/1/01, 4/26/01, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 4/27/06 effective 10/15/06, 12/15/06, 4/27/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 4/22/11) (
a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men’s ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football;
(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6 (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception);
(c) At the time of transfer to the certifying institution (see Bylaw 14.5.2), the student would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred, except that he or she is not required to have fulfilled the necessary percentage-of-degree requirements at the previous institution; and
(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student’s previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If an institution receives a written request for a release from a student-athlete, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, the release shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide a written release to the student-athlete.

But that is a transfer, not necessarily a graduate transfer.

But that is a transfer, not necessarily a graduate transfer.
No, it is relating to a graduate transfer. Read the first sentence of 14.6.1. Heck, if you look at the first sentence of 14.5.5.2.10, it explicitly states "for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1)".

If you have eligibility remaining, you are allowed to play at an institution that is different from where you got your undergrad degree if you fulfill the conditions of 14.5.5.2 (this means graduate student). If you are a football player, you fail the 14.5.5.2(a) part of the standard. However, it goes on to say if you fail the (a) part, then you can still transfer and play if you fulfill (b)-(d) AND have eligibility remaining AND your previous school did not renew your athletically related financial aid for the next year.

Lead us to the promised land Gus (9 wins and the top 25)

No, it is relating to a graduate transfer. Read the first sentence of 14.6.1. Heck, if you look at the first sentence of 14.5.5.2.10, it explicitly states "for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1)".

If you have eligibility remaining, you are allowed to play at an institution that is different from where you got your undergrad degree if you fulfill the conditions of 14.5.5.2 (this means graduate student). If you are a football player, you fail the 14.5.5.2(a) part of the standard. However, it goes on to say if you fail the (a) part, then you can still transfer and play if you fulfill (b)-(d) AND have eligibility remaining AND your previous school did not renew your athletically related financial aid for the next year.

OK. But there is nothing in there that says a graduate transfer can not transfer to a school within the same conference. And the ACC bylaws specifically state that if a degree has been obtained an intra conference transfer is allowed.

OK. But there is nothing in there that says a graduate transfer can not transfer to a school within the same conference. And the ACC bylaws specifically state that if a degree has been obtained an intra conference transfer is allowed.
This is how I read it as well. Miami has to grant his release to transfer, but it says nothing of a right to approve or deny the school transferring to. May be a loophole, but I don't think Gus would be required to "disclose" where he's headed.

This is how I read it as well. Miami has to grant his release to transfer, but it says nothing of a right to approve or deny the school transferring to. May be a loophole, but I don't think Gus would be required to "disclose" where he's headed.
right, but Miami has to release him. The default is that he is bound to Miami. If you read further into the NCAA bylaws, a player must present a request for release to the school. The school has seven days to grant the release. If the school is silent, then the release is automatically denied.

All the ACC bylaw stuff is just a red herring in this discussion. The question was whether or not Miami can block a graduate transfer. Of course there is nothing in the NCAA bylaws about intra conference transfers. Why would the NCAA care about that? The NCAA sets the rules for when transfers are permissible, and then conferences can make their own rules governing the particulars of intraconference transfers. It makes not one whit of difference if the ACC allows intraconference graduate transfers if a player does not meet the basic NCAA requirements to be eligible for a transfer. As one of the NCAA requirements is that the school granting the bachelor degree must grant the release, the fact that the ACC allows intraconference graduate transfers has no bearing on the requirement that Miami release Edwards.

Bottom line - Miami is within their rights to refuse to release Edwards. Miami is within their rights to determine if they will/will not release Edwards based on where he plans to go. Now, to be fair, "within ones rights" can be very different from reality. Just because Miami can does not mean they will. There is often a public outcry when schools deny these (rightfully so, in my opinion). Maybe Edwards is influential on the team and it will hurt morale if they think he's being screwed? Maybe he has a sympathetic and compelling reason to be close to home? Maybe Miami is confident enough and doesn't particularly care if Edwards goes to Syracuse, even if Syracuse plays them? I don't know what will ultimately happen. I hope Edwards ends up at Syracuse if Dino wants him.

But the one thing I do know is that according to NCAA rules, Miami has to release Edwards before he is allowed to transfer. It is NOT a situation that once he graduates he "fulfilled his contract" (so to speak) to the school and is, thus, a free agent able to go wherever he pleases.

I have heard that Gus is not a take for RU, too much baggage with the bullying & suicide incident in HS

I believe with a few of our own grad transfers when the story broke they stated that they had been granted a release from Syracuse. However I really could never see a university denying this release. The bad PR that would come from it not to mention having a kid that doesn't want to play for you. I believe that it is black and white. You either release him or not. I do not think you can put conditions on his release.

Believe what you want, but the media would kill RU if they took this kid after everything that happened during the Flood error. If kid wants to play close to home he might end up at Maryland or Temple or PSU which are all much closer then SU

Believe what you want, but the media would kill RU if they took this kid after everything that happened during the Flood error. If kid wants to play close to home he might end up at Maryland or Temple or PSU which are all much closer then SU
You're embarrassing yourself, please stop. No one wants to go to Rutgers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom