Class of 2017 - RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers

Believe what you want, but the media would kill RU if they took this kid after everything that happened during the Flood error. If kid wants to play close to home he might end up at Maryland or Temple or PSU which are all much closer then SU
Freudian AF. Btw, the media already kills RU.

I have heard that Gus is not a take for RU, too much baggage with the bullying & suicide incident in HS
Nothing to do with being outscored 800-0 in the B1G?

Believe what you want, but the media would kill RU if they took this kid after everything that happened during the Flood error. If kid wants to play close to home he might end up at Maryland or Temple or PSU which are all much closer then SU

I needed a good laugh

oldpinepoint The ACC conference rules state that a student-athlete who graduated from one member school can transfer to another member school without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. So Miami should have no say.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

that was my logic as well, but I discovered it is incorrect according to the NCAA rules when I went to check.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D117.pdf

By my reading of the NCAA graduate transfer rules, Edwards would need Miami to grant a release. Obviously that is not a given because of the fact that Miami plays Syracuse next year. Richt may decide it isn't worth the public relations backlash or that he isn't worried about Edwards, but the decision is Miami's and nobody can compel their hand.

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 4/27/06, 1/6/07 effective 8/1/07, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 7/31/14)
(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;
(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and
(c) The student’s previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception.
The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1): (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/11/97, 11/1/00 effective 8/1/01, 4/26/01, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 4/27/06 effective 10/15/06, 12/15/06, 4/27/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 4/22/11) (
a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men’s ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football;
(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6 (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception);
(c) At the time of transfer to the certifying institution (see Bylaw 14.5.2), the student would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred, except that he or she is not required to have fulfilled the necessary percentage-of-degree requirements at the previous institution; and
(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student’s previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If an institution receives a written request for a release from a student-athlete, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete’s written request within seven business days, the release shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide a written release to the student-athlete.
66536242.jpg

Rutgers taking the high road - that would be a first. What a joke.

right, but Miami has to release him. The default is that he is bound to Miami. If you read further into the NCAA bylaws, a player must present a request for release to the school. The school has seven days to grant the release. If the school is silent, then the release is automatically denied.

All the ACC bylaw stuff is just a red herring in this discussion. The question was whether or not Miami can block a graduate transfer. Of course there is nothing in the NCAA bylaws about intra conference transfers. Why would the NCAA care about that? The NCAA sets the rules for when transfers are permissible, and then conferences can make their own rules governing the particulars of intraconference transfers. It makes not one whit of difference if the ACC allows intraconference graduate transfers if a player does not meet the basic NCAA requirements to be eligible for a transfer. As one of the NCAA requirements is that the school granting the bachelor degree must grant the release, the fact that the ACC allows intraconference graduate transfers has no bearing on the requirement that Miami release Edwards.

Bottom line - Miami is within their rights to refuse to release Edwards. Miami is within their rights to determine if they will/will not release Edwards based on where he plans to go. Now, to be fair, "within ones rights" can be very different from reality. Just because Miami can does not mean they will. There is often a public outcry when schools deny these (rightfully so, in my opinion). Maybe Edwards is influential on the team and it will hurt morale if they think he's being screwed? Maybe he has a sympathetic and compelling reason to be close to home? Maybe Miami is confident enough and doesn't particularly care if Edwards goes to Syracuse, even if Syracuse plays them? I don't know what will ultimately happen. I hope Edwards ends up at Syracuse if Dino wants him.

But the one thing I do know is that according to NCAA rules, Miami has to release Edwards before he is allowed to transfer. It is NOT a situation that once he graduates he "fulfilled his contract" (so to speak) to the school and is, thus, a free agent able to go wherever he pleases.
I understand what you are saying but there are no grounds for Miami not sign his release if he has complied with the NCAA rules and graduated and obtained his degree. Especially as he seems to be claiming a hardship by stating he has a new child and wants to move closer to home.

Looks like Miami is holding him from going to certain schools. Dumb.

According to a source close to Edwards, the Hurricanes and head coach Mark Richt are blocking the running back from picking a school who is on Miami's 2017 schedule. That means two potential landing spots that are close to home and therefore meet his criteria, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, are blocked by the program.

it certainly is a strange situation, of all the years we have to play Miami. I can kind of see both sides here. I am not outraged that Richt won't let him come here by any means but is Syracuse really a threat to Miami at this point? Game is down there, whole new season etc. Everything they do is on tape, can Edwards really make that big a difference and his staff could certainly plan around it, if they truly wanted to.

That said, if I was Richt I would tell Edwards go to BC or Temple if you want to be closer to home, Maryland, anywhere but those two

Someone tweet this story to Wolken and others. Pressure this weasel to let Gus go where he wants. You know, like Richt and other coaches can all do. What a jackass. If freaking Kirby Smart can go from Alabama to Georgia then for goodness sakes let a kid who has given the school 4 years and has a family of his own now go where is best for him and his family. I don't give a rats arse that they gave him a scholarship, he isn't a slave

Richt's recruiting pitch....Come and join us at Miami and if you are not happy here I will restrict your choice if happen to leave.

According to a source close to Edwards, the Hurricanes and head coach Mark Richt are blocking the running back from picking a school who is on Miami's 2017 schedule. That means two potential landing spots that are close to home and therefore meet his criteria, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, are blocked by the program.
giphy.gif

The media can't kill Rutgers. That program is already dead.

Regarding your attempt to grapple with geography, I have seen a number of Rutgers fans make this claim. Maybe they teach it there.

Regardless, it is not right.

Distance from NYC

College Park, MD 196.053 miles
State College, PA 202.009 miles
Syracuse, NY 195.579 miles

Please educate yourself:

How Far Is It Between

The media can't kill Rutgers. That program is already dead.

Regarding your attempt to grapple with geography, I have seen a number of Rutgers fans make this claim. Maybe they teach it there.

Regardless, it is not right.

Distance from NYC

College Park, MD 196.053 miles
State College, PA 202.009 miles
Syracuse, NY 195.579 miles

Please educate yourself:

How Far Is It Between
Alternative facts.

People need to get this info out to national media and get some heat on Richt. Jay Bilas types who rail on the NCAA.
The pressure got to John Beilein the Michigan coach and he relented.
The same thing happened to Brian Kelly and he gave Malik Zaire a full unconditional release.

Props to old friend Mike M for a good article there...

just want to shout out mike and his site - they had a great 9 for 1 deal the other day. I figured - wth, lets try it out.

I understand what you are saying but there are no grounds for Miami not sign his release if he has complied with the NCAA rules and graduated and obtained his degree. Especially as he seems to be claiming a hardship by stating he has a new child and wants to move closer to home.
sigh...

I took the time and effort to look up and post the actual bylaws. They are still there in my post to read. If I'm wrong, show me where I am wrong. But the uninformed wishcasting is unhelpful. Show me where it says that Miami needs "grounds" to sign the release? Show me where the NCAA mandates the criteria by which a school is required to grant a release?

One may disagree with the policy (I do), but under the NCAA bylaws, the current school has a ton of power over the player wanting to transfer.

For those claiming Miami can't restrict where Edwards goes - of course they can. The default is that a player stays at his current school until his eligibility runs out. There are particular rules imposed by the NCAA and conditions that must be met in order to disrupt the default and change schools. The player needs to get the current school to sign the release. By the rules, the school has absolutely no obligation to release a player. In such a situation, the school has all the power. The school is perfectly within its rights to say, "I'll release you, but only if you go/don't go __________". If the player refuses to communicate, the school simply doesn't grant the release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom